Sign in to follow this  
quiet_man

Strategic decisions

Maybe strategic-level decisions will be carried out by the AI based on a Radiant AI (Oblivion)-esque system where the AI "Generals," or whoever is leading the armies, is only given general goals and objectives, but goes about accomplishing those in a nearly unscripted way?

Id prefer having it like being able to just go through it as lots of charachters like the CWC campaign, but having too do all training at the start and picking your characther each time you start up the campaign and picking which career mission you want to do at base, Army, Armour and Air, by going to your co and requesting a mission.

Army : start off at basic and pick the role you want or have it assigned, make L.cpl after completing basic. Make Corpral by completing 3 small operations and one major one during a conflict, Make Sgt. by completing 5 small operations and 2 major operations, Make Lft. by Completing 8 small operations, 3 Major ops and 1 misc operation (say helping out around base or supporting civis in the warzone) Also having it depend on how you do on a op, say if you lose to much men, lessens the chance of a promotion, and how you get along with officers too, and basically keep going up like that until you hit Lt. Col.

Land Cav: Same as above only being able to pick what you drive at basic, APC or MBT, having misc missions such as aquiring fuel from the enemy or parts during desperate times.

Air : Basically the same, picking Fixed-Wing or Rotary at the start and adding some more special missions, like being shot down, escape and evade.

Oh and SF: say have this as a bonus featuring more specialized missions, hostage rescue, raids, recce and the such.

Personally Id like to play it in a Semi FPS-RPG-RTS way, would make a very intresting game to say the least, But having a complete RPG and RTS element would be boring, a nice combination of everything, such as maxium amount of troops = Company not making it a complete RTS, and Having the Promotion scheme but not level up points and all that crap, just way over the top and ruins the atmosphere of the game.

Hmm not sure if any of that makes any sense, but i cant see half of what im typing due to these evil stingy bandages. Anyways just my 2 cents.

What`s wrong with you guys...

Do you really want to play those rpg things?

I mean, this kind of progres you`re describing is, well...bad.

I totally agree with Jinef, besides, I don`t want to start at `private` level, I want to start at funnyguy1 level:|

Same situation in the recently openned (don`t remember exactly the name) `more human like AI thread`..

Do you really wanna have your hands shaking and stuff when you`re a `private`? Do you want to start as a total lame, and then become a super hero?

This rpgish `progress` stuff ist good for the AI, but please bis dont force me to use the character with worst or better skills that I have in the rl.

I`m gonna post exactly the same in tbe mentioned above `human_like_AI` thread...

Sorry for the typos caused by the totall exhaustion

Yeah dude, i bet your IRL helicopter flying skills are absolutely superb.

That's why they're making it. So that not every grunt could be a sniper, a medic, a fighter pilot and a platoon leader at the same time.

I didn`t get it (It was irony?)..you`re with me or against me?

What I was trying to say was that I`m not `absolutely superb` at flying, and well, when it comes to flying I`m not as dumb as some guys, probably even on those forums.

So again, leave rpgish type of progress of abilities for the ai wink_o.gif .

In regards to a command system, I think a brothers in arms style command system for the more simple commands like 'move here' and 'cover me' could be introduced as this will give the player the opportunity to give basic orders quickly. However this should be USED ALONGSIDE something like the traditional OFP command system with the abilty to make up more complex orders.

In Brothers in arms you can command your assault and fire teams, by pressing the shift key. I think a system like this would be good in game 2 to give the user control over multiple squads.

In my opinion the 'RPG element' of game 2 will be the development of character, but it won't be like in OFP where you play as different people in different positions. I believe it will be that the player is promoted through merit from the orders he gives and the enemy he kills on the 'dynamic battlefield'. This could be managed by say having so many points for succesfully taking/destroying an objective or quite simply for killing an enemy. I think this system would be the best way to show different aspects of the command structure within a dynamic campaign.

@Quote:

In Brothers in arms you can command your assault and fire teams, by pressing the shift key. I think a system like this would be good in game 2 to give the user control over multiple squads.

Oh yes, this is a nice system and also Take Cover, Suppressive Fire and Flanking only a mouse click away.

I really liked those things, shame the game itself was no match for OFP.

Another nice touch to make squad control just that little bit easier would be to have a key defined (say the TAB key) the user can press it once to make the squad fall in and double click to make them find the nearest cover (if any), this second function could be defined to another key to avoid confusion.