Sign in to follow this  
deathsai

Example of a good mission

My problem with missions is that I try to be too exact...I end up trying to make sure that THIS guy is pointing his rifle EXACTLY at the right angle around the door, THAT Anti-tank gun only has one, EXACTLY one inch protruding from the bush, etc. And I get so exact, the mission never really "blends" and feels like an OFP mission.

I never seem to grip that OFP is a combat simulation. I end up trying to make my missions more like Call of Duty's single player than Operation Flashpoint, and I'd like help getting over this obstacle.

So I'd just like a mission that I can open up in the OFP mission editor that is just a simple mission. I'd prefer it to be using the Liberation mod, but anything else is OK. I just want something to base my missions on, so I can just finish them up.

While I'm asking, how do your missions go? Do you just plop a guard point with a 50 meter radius on a town for one group, then take an enemy group and give them a move waypoint into the town? Or are your attacks more complicated, your defense systems more complex?

Quote[/b] ] Or are your attacks more complicated, your defense systems more complex?

Yes, scripted. Makes it more dynamic and you can be more precise in your surprise - planning for the player(s)

hi,

take a look at this.

put it in user folder, only libmod addons needed.

What i did:

1. the tank

the tank is connected to 4 empty markers wich defines the startpoint of the tank, then a trigger activated from player presence start the tank to reveal you and move to you to fight you.

2. The infantry

the infantry just use waypoints, and the dont know you there, try mission few times, you will see they do there job quite nice.

What i did with them is a giant placement radius around player position and waypoints that cover a large area in and around player position. In editor they 4 teammembers, but only leader is at 100% possibility, the other 3 guys around 60%, so you have a little random in squadsize.

3. The ammotruck

the ammotruck is for reammo needs, but also uses the empty marker thing to place him random. U will know were he is when u look map a blue flag shows his position.

This are just some easy examples how you can reach random events without being a scriptgod.

play the example few times and you will see that its quite some fun with not much work.

cu

Scars09

Do you just plop a guard point with a 50 meter radius on a town for one group, then take an enemy group and give them a move waypoint into the town?

NO! NOOOOOO!!!!!

NEVER "defend" a town with just a group standing or walking around randomly like a bunch of idiots! I can't tell you how many times I've played an assault mission, only to find the target "guarded" by 12 idiots standing in the middle of town, wedge formation, just sitting there waiting for shooting to start.

For defense, you should almost always have some units in static positions around the perimeter, as well as a few units walking around the perimeter. To make it look like a real base, you should also have some units inside of tents/buildings/whatever that are sitting or talking to each other, on a "guard" WP. When the fighting starts, they will pick up their rifles and go to action. Last, you should have some patrols a few hundred meters outside of the base that patrol the obvious attack routes, unless you want to make things extremely easy on the player. Objects, empty vehicles, and other decorations are always a nice way to 'touch up' the area.

Check the example mission for this script, it has a pretty decent town defense laid out. I had started to make that for a mission, but ended up using it to demo that script instead.

http://ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=639

Do you just plop a guard point with a 50 meter radius on a town for one group, then take an enemy group and give them a move waypoint into the town?

NO! NOOOOOO!!!!!

NEVER "defend" a town with just a group standing or walking around randomly like a bunch of idiots! I can't tell you how many times I've played an assault mission, only to find the target "guarded" by 12 idiots standing in the middle of town, wedge formation, just sitting there waiting for shooting to start.

For defense, you should almost always have some units in static positions around the perimeter, as well as a few units walking around the perimeter. To make it look like a real base, you should also have some units inside of tents/buildings/whatever that are sitting or talking to each other, on a "guard" WP. When the fighting starts, they will pick up their rifles and go to action. Last, you should have some patrols a few hundred meters outside of the base that patrol the obvious attack routes, unless you want to make things extremely easy on the player. Objects, empty vehicles, and other decorations are always a nice way to 'touch up' the area.

Check the example mission for this script, it has a pretty decent town defense laid out. I had started to make that for a mission, but ended up using it to demo that script instead.

http://ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=639

Hey, does this crouch script keep the units crouched effectively? It seems to be a very simple script, compared to previous attempts at getting units to stay crouched.

Quote[/b] ]Hey, does this crouch script keep the units crouched effectively? It seems to be a very simple script, compared to previous attempts at getting units to stay crouched.

Units will stay crouched until the fighting starts. After that, they occasionally will stand up, but not always.

Quote[/b] ]I never seem to grip that OFP is a combat simulation. I end up trying to make my missions more like Call of Duty's single player than Operation Flashpoint, and I'd like help getting over this obstacle.

Maybe i get it wrong, but as far i understand your problem, you want more dynamic in missions, not just some other static (crouched) units were the gun points to player.

like barron said, just waypoint is bull whistle.gif .

But only static units isnt fun to play aswell. Mix it up.

Make your mission with all your static stuff, throw some groups and Gen. Barrons Ai sharing script in f.e., that should also help to make it more challenging and dynamic.

@Gen Barron

Could it be that Handgrenades (the handgrenade animation) are the reason that some crouched units stand up and others dont?

Yea like scars said try and keep your missions dynamic and open ended. The very nature of OFP means that you cannot simply point a player in some direction and hope he follows a set path like most FPS games. Try and think of all the possiblitys and routes a player *might* take to an objective in the mission, then prepare the area for it, the most obvius example is AI patrols around an objective, covering all points of possible attack etc.. If you really must put a player on a set path, well try putting waypoints for the player, although it isnt garunteed theyll follow it in a straight line from point A to B itll certianly help guid a player to a ambush spot in a vally or somthing similar. And try not to worry too much about eye candy inless the player is gaurteed to be within noticble distance of it (no point putting a load of wreked cars and dead bodys in a town where the player flys past it in a few seconds)

Quote[/b] ]@Gen Barron

Could it be that Handgrenades (the handgrenade animation) are the reason that some crouched units stand up and others dont?

That very well could be the problem. Such a simple answer, too biggrin_o.gif. Although I think I may have seen them stand up without throwing grenades. Then again, maybe I didn't. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The very nature of OFP means that you cannot simply point a player in some direction and hope he follows a set path like most FPS games. Try and think of all the possiblitys and routes a player *might* take to an objective in the mission, then prepare the area for it, the most obvius example is AI patrols around an objective, covering all points of possible attack etc..

Couldn't have said it any better myself. notworthy.gif

You should try out Bremmers improved AI script...I tried it, and it actually adds a lot to the AI smile_o.gif Though, it crashed my mission, so I had to rip it apart and edit it a bit crazy_o.gif

Just my two cents, but don't forget about Keycat's Group Link 2. It'll add a bit more realism to your mission: your attackers have to worry about back-up being called in. All the scripting for that is done for ya.