Sign in to follow this  
sn1per

Troops on the "deck" of armor

I just want to create discussion on what other OF players think about having the option to place troops on top of armor instead of putting them inside to certain death.

Nowadays troops prefer to stay on deck so that they have some chance of surviving mines and rpgs. And staying outside gives them better visibility and ables them to use their personal weapons.

I know that the OF engine can't support more than one weapon to be fired from vehicle. Anyways it would be cool & practical to have the grunts outside.

*pictures himself doing a hand brake turn in an apc and watching them all fly off

MUHAHAHAHAHAH ]smile.gif

That would be helpful for East Front WW2 modmakers.

How far would they fly when their vehicles would pop wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sn1per @ Jan. 16 2002,08:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nowadays troops prefer to stay on deck so that they have some chance of surviving mines and rpgs. And staying outside gives them better visibility and ables them to use their personal weapons.<span id='postcolor'>

I know alot of people in an cavalry division (m113) and ive never heard of one example of the troops prefering to sit on top.

Its a good idea and all, and it could be done (ive played a multiplayer game where i was sitting ontop of the blades of a blackhawk the whole game), but if they could already do the firing from vehicles thing, wouldnt they have done it with the bmp?

Yeap! Placing troops on the roof o vechicles would be nice.

In Vietnam ie. GI prefer rather sitting outside than inside APC's becoause of there were a lot of traps on roads and M-113 armour was to thick to survive explosion inside.Placing such option in game is good idea smile.gif

Guest Scooby

Troops should be able to ride on tanks. Not on APC's.

When AT mine goes off under APC they have good changes to survive inside of it, not on top of it because 10 kilos of explosives going off creates big blast.

When AT mine goes off under APC they have good changes to survive inside of it, not on top of it because 10 kilos of explosives going off creates big blast.

But have you ever see M-113 after AT mine blast -it is just a crap then i repeat his armour is to thick. You thing why they riding on top of apc's in Nam.Ofcourse heat inside was also the reason but mainly they afraid of mines and other exploding stuff more than random sniper fire which was also dangerous.

Id brave the heat for the protection from bullets thanx, and if i knew my m113 driver was driving through an at feild, then i wouldnt care much about getting on top.

Yes but take a look on any picture from Vietnam and what you see -APC's & tanks with their crew and cargo outside.

I think on situation like patrols on roads and in jungle not the urban terrain fights like in Hue or Saigon during Tet '68

Not many people go on top of tanks anymore because of health and saftey, it is very easy to fall off a tank( get a foot caught) and if you do its a long way down!

I fell off a challenger last year which left me black and blue.

Im not saying it would be a bad idea though because it would be useful for nam missions biggrin.gif

Im not sure that people go on them because of mines.

the best thing to cross a minefield on is a horse or a donkey because they absorbe the explosion but die, also there isnt all the shrapnel from the vehicle

Guest Scooby

Tanks are still good way to keep on fast page of movement when required and enemy threat is not so big. Idea is to hop down before enemy opens fire.

Its a rough ride and you've got to hold on tight but its still better than running after tank.

Actually grunts just want to stay alive. they have better chances outside than inside incase of a mine or rpg attack.

Here's some pics from chechnya.

chechnya.jpg

chechnya2.jpg

chechnya3.jpg

chechnya4.jpg

Yeah, i wouldnt sit in a bmp (grrrr) either. and i severly doubt, that if someone was sitting in one of those buildings, and fired an rpg at the bmp, the people would survive.

Guest Scooby

If you are sitting in wheeled APC you are in better safe from mines inside of it than on top of it. Atleast thats the case with Finnish wheeled APC's. One drove into mine at peace keeping mission. Everyone inside survived because of good design of vehicles bottom that directs blast away from it. Vehicle was put back to service later on.

The only reason the supporting infantry rides on the outside of the tanks is for fast movement, and deployment to protect the tanks if they come under Infantry based AT fire.