Sign in to follow this  
Raj

how to use Laser designator

hi guys, just a little problem. how to use the Laser designator?rock.gif?

Can it be used in the first place....??

i have unpbo bis mission & can't learn much more.

please can anyone help me.

The laser designator is pretty easy to use. All you have to do is point at the target you want to "paint" and fire. It will produce a red dot that you should be able to see on your target. Once you have the target painted, a fellow player or even AI can lock on to your laser using laser guided bombs or hellfire missiles. It can be very effective and fun.

Monty

thanks for the tips.

When i point the LD to the target say bmp and fire, the red appears and nothing happens. i have place A10lgb, ah64, oh58 and nothing happens.

a fellow player or even AI can lock on to your laser using laser guided bombs or hellfire missiles.

the part which i cannot understand -how can the ai lock on the laser???

make the heli pilot or a-10 pilot your team member and then over the radio tell the A/I to engage the laser under targets.... well thats how ive done it any way

The LD basically creates an "enemy" wherever it is pointing at. You then can just reveal this "enemy" (via right-click) to your squad, and have them fire at just like it were any other regular enemy.

Keep in mind that only certain weapons can be fired at the LD. AFAIK, you can only tell planes with LGBs to fire at it, although I'm sure there are other weapons that work fine.

It is actually a great weapon that can make blackops type missions tons of fun. It gives you a great way to tell your planes where to drop their bombs. Check out the demo mission for this script here for an example of how to use it:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=804

Oh yeah, and I think this would be best suited for another forum. Perhaps the "general" section would be most appropriate.

Quote[/b] ]

make the heli pilot or a-10 pilot your team member and then over the radio tell the A/I to engage the laser under targets.... well thats how ive done it any way

this can be basically be done via the action menu without the use of the LD

The Ai(with LD only) can paint the target say a bmp and the A10 LGB will engage the bmp with the bombs.

The A10lgb do not engage the target with its bombs unless the target is painted. the a10lgb will then engage the target with its 30 mm gun instead.

Quote[/b] ]

The LD basically creates an "enemy" wherever it is pointing at. You then can just reveal this "enemy" (via right-click) to your squad, and have them fire at just like it were any other regular enemy.

Keep in mind that only certain weapons can be fired at the LD. AFAIK, you can only tell planes with LGBs to fire at it, although I'm sure there are other weapons that work fine.

It is actually a great weapon that can make blackops type missions tons of fun. It gives you a great way to tell your planes where to drop their bombs. Check out the demo mission for this script here for an example of how to use it:

Oh yeah, and I think this would be best suited for another forum. Perhaps the "general" section would be most appropriate.

As you said when the Ai(with LD) painted a bmp, the A10Lgb will not engage the bmp but will engage the Laser, as if a target has been created.

But when i point the LD to the bmp, nothing happpens, the A10 continues engaging the Bmp with its 30 mm gun. why That??

I have noticed that in certain aircrafts namely vit's planes & footmuch, the plane(ai) automatically engage the enemy with their bombs,without the target being painted, but this is not so with the bis A10.

With all these years playing OFP,i just wanted to know how to use the LD.

But there are nice air strikes scripts available which are fare more better than using the LD.

Well still i don't know how to use the LD, but the Ai seems to be able use it.

It takes too much time to paint a target, for plane to engage the latter, there could be a couple of minutes--better use the scripts.

thanks

Heh. I didn't know the AI could use the LD. I guess I never tried though. smile_o.gif

I'm not sure what you are doing, but really it is pretty simple. Start painting the target (or the ground, for your first try) with the LD. Once the plane gets close (800m or so) to the LD laser, he should notice it and announce it to you over the radio ("6 o'clock, enemy target"). Then select him (using the F2-F12 key), press the number "2" (to open up the target menu), and press the number next to "laser target".

Try targetting the GROUND first, to see how it works. In this way, you can get a plane to drop bombs on infantry, or on empty vehicles, or between vehicles. Can footmunch's planes target infantry? Even if it can, there is still no way to tell it to attack the GROUND, like you can with the LD. I actually wish there was an LD of sorts that let you tell INFANTRY where to fire.

Once you get the hang of it, it is REALLY easy to use. I don't see how a script simulating an airstrike could be easier to use. Like I said, try my demo mission, and you will see how cool it is to control a plane via the LD. It is set on Everon, and you are a blackop who has to pave the way for a NATO assault on the harbor. With the help of some air support, of course. smile_o.gif

hi,i have been able to use that damn LD.

the only problem is to have the A10 handy.

Indeed very useful against infantries or random armor.

make it even more impressive while using BAS LD.

well thanks then