Sign in to follow this  
-HC-Para

Latest Hell's Circus island releases.

ons2_tn.jpg

enf2_tn.jpg

I have released two news islands on  Hell's Circus website. They are called Enfilade42 and Onslaught45. Enfilade42 requires AEF train addon.

Enfilade42 Images:

The Dam

The Ruins

Onslaught45 Image:

The Farm

*More images at site.

Both islands come with WWII co-op missions, details of addon requirements for the missions detailed in download.

Please use this thread for discussion on these and any other Hell's Circus island past, present and your wishes for the future. Note, however, if you are talking about an island not currently under discussion, please don't forget to mention which one you have in mind, to avoid confusion  ;)

the small island was pretty cool with the background ambient war sounds biggrin_o.gif but it was very small, maybe its designed for DM , CTF or something tounge_o.gif

the big island was very rich and shows great promise, just had problem with making the train move.

it moved 50 meters then it suddenly started to reverse / go backwards and then went forwards...then backwards again and contuined like that tounge_o.gif

i put a safe waypoint and a waypoint on each dot on the map that is supoosed to show the rail way line tounge_o.gif dunno what im doing wrong tounge_o.gif

being constructive... the small island is a VERY small. the large one, is, as said, an update of spearhead 44's last version. i figured out what's lagging the living crap out of it though, try getting rid of that ambient; sure it sounds nice & all, but for some reason it, or something else is just lagging like there's no tommorrow. I liked the idea of the dam & all, and thought it was a nice touch. My only complaint besides the lag is all of the ROCKS you place on every island. I find myself in the WRPedit deleting rocks for 10 min straight, I personally just think it detracts from the feel of the map, afterall, I've been to northern france plenty, and have yet to see a 9 foot tall rock between every bush smile_o.gif...

The church is a really nice touch, right by the bridge & all as well. You should put a few tiny scattered villages, if i were you, i'd copy the ones from 'snakeisland' they are pretty much the best layed-out cities in any map, official or un-official, & use the basic BIS addons. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

In a nutshell, the big island would be awesome if it didn't lag like i'm playing tonal with 64 units per side maxed out... the small island, well, it's just a bit tiny =) keep up the great work!

i haven't experienced any lag on the island at all, this runs far better than tonal for sure on my comp anyways smile_o.gif

what specs. you got on your comp olemiss?

i dunno what it is. my computer isn't great by any means, but i get no lag at all with tonal. it's a dell dimension something something, with a 1.80ghz P4, and only 256 MB ram, and the run-of-the-mill intel Xtreme graphics 2, etc. just factory issue. i know, i know, i need more ram & all, but it's just that tonal hardly lagged at all.

i usually put the view distance to half way up the bar, shadows off of course, too. i guess i'm just screwed!

Thanks for the imput guys, it is always valued and taken into consideration. After doing this for a few years now, I've come to realise that a users suggestion is nearly always right - and some have been so spot on it's crazy - making me rethink the way I build the islands completely.

Commando84:

"the small island was pretty cool with the background ambient war sounds"

Would you like to hear more of this type of ambient noise in the islands environmental sounds?

This one is kinda tricky for the larger Euro islands. The problem we face for these sounds is they limit the use of the islands a lot. Basicially, if I put WWII sounds like those featured on Onslaught45 into the other Euro islands then they are stuck being frontline combat zones. This doesn't suit missions either cloak and dagger style - me favs biggrin_o.gif - or perhaps not even set during a large scale war or more modern conflict. I would like to see some non-WWII missions built on the Euro islands I have built, I have especially avoided using BB's Military Objects or Street Pack so we can play missions other than WWII ones.

"just had problem with making the train move"

I have only tested using the train when I have been the driver myself. The issue you have mentioned I believe should be directed to the AEF Train thread. There are some issues with the train, but lets face it - you can't knock this kind of work, no matter how frustrating some little bugs can seem. As a MP only player, I haven't successfully had the please of using the train in missions - but the tracks themselves add so much to the islands, I'm happy with that alone.

There is no gradients to cause problems with the train so that can't be the issue smile_o.gif

olemiss:

"try getting rid of that ambient"

That added no extra lag for me after I put it in there. I would be surprised if it was the ambient sounds which are lagging your PC. If you wish to get rid of them, simply open the island's config file and remove the class EnvSounds: CfgEnvSounds section. Done! You could then also delete the sound dir itself, making the island package much smaller indeed. I am happy to do this for you, I could post a default ambient sound version if you would like, that is a few seconds work.

"My only complaint besides the lag is all of the ROCKS you place on every island."

Ok, point taken. I was wondering if it was time to completely get rid of the "bocage". What do you blokes think?

I do particularly value rocks as cover in OFP however. After walls and houses, they are at the top of this virtual infantrymans list of good, solid cover spots. Only a hill between me and the enemy gets better biggrin_o.gif

"I find myself in the WRPedit deleting rocks for 10 min straight"

If you used WRPtool, you could have done that in under 30 seconds. Open object browser, lock all objects other than rocks, click "select all" and then hit delete. If you didnt wish to delete every rock off the island, but only wanted to delete the ones in the bocage, simply lock all rocks as well - except the one you want to delete. WRPtool is THE WAY, my friend.

More Euro islands to come, there is over 10 in the melting pot atm.

thx for replying [HC]Para smile_o.gif

i think the big island is very good, yeah you are right about the ambient sounds there, it kind of limits the usage if you got ww2 sounds or if you had put in star wars laser sounds tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

10 more islands in the making wow_o.gif looking forward to see them in the future unclesam.gif okay , yeah im also kind of a mp only player tounge_o.gif the tracks look great and add some refreshness to the island.

Crikey!

Just counted up the island directories in my islands working folder and there is 26 islands in total under construction..... And probably as many ideas for islands in mind as well!

Um, think I need help?

biggrin_o.gif

EDIT: 26 - That includes Nam and Euro islands mind you!

i think i got 50 missions in the making in my users/username/missions folder tounge_o.gif

just 1 or 2 that have been released crazy_o.gif

are you making any arctic islands? I would have wanted to see something like winter nogova someday tounge_o.gif

maybe with mapfact and ag smith and other objects on it too smile_o.gif

thanks!, you're the best.  also, what would give the island a much better feel is some NON green nogova textures, (i'm assuming that's what they are) if you have trinity 2.0, look on the island above the desert one, it uses some different ones, and turns out rather nicely at different times of day.  the lighting just looks better that way.   also, i can give you a 100% accurate blueprint of how st mere eglise looked in 1944, if i did that and mapped out what went where, would you be willing to possibly make map of that? it wouldn't be much bigger than the one you have now.

and about the WRP edit or whatever it's called, i'm TOTALLY new when it comes to that, the manual wouldn't work, so I've basically been stuck figuring it out on my own, but I appreciate the advice =)

...editing, yet again.

i've played around with the island a bit more & have noticed some things.  I'd personally do away with grouping 4 factories, afterall, it's a rather small town.  The four factories on the river have nice docks down on the water, YET, no way to get the goods from the factory to the boats, as there is a fence in the way with NO opening =)  & about the textures, the textures on your map around the crossroads in the northern part are sort-of what i meant, just basically anything but the nogova green.  also, go to flashpointcz, and look up MONKEYISLAND, or something like that & look at the screen shots.  although i personally hated the island, the textures were top of the notch, they had the best 'fields' ive seen in flashpoint.  also, check out snakeisland, he's got second best layed out towns, next to yours.  he places his walls rather well, & could serve as a bit of inspiration.

SNAKEISLAND:

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=6647

MONKEYISLAND: (for the nice field textures)

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=6062

also, i know this isn't exactly the place, but could you tell me how i could copy a part of a town in one island, and put it in another from the WRP thingy?  I figured you'd know just as well as anyone else.

Export the town by:

File/Export WRP Cells/Select by dragging a box (easy way). Drag box over area to export with mouse, uncheck "restrict to OFP loadable sizes" and hit export. Save the WRP file.

Add it to an existing or new island:

File/Import WRP Cells/select the saved WRP file - I suggest using the "Destination Start Cell" option to place the import where you want it.

Please note, however, that I don't think that pinching someone elses work without their permission is cool. This is the catch with the import/export feature and has been the subject of considerable debate. If you wish to use anything from one of my islands feel free - but that doesn't mean that all island builders feel the same way.

Building a well detailed town, for instance, really takes a long time. I mean many, many, many hours. It all goes in the detailing, but that is what sets any given island apart from another. You can build a basic island in 5 mins with WRPtool and it's region tool, it really takes no time at all. What does take time is in the placement of the finer details, but in my eyes - it is those same details that "make the island" as it were.

If you wish to use WRP cells from an island, at least contact the island maker first, it shows respect for the hours people put into their addons - for free.

i already have, thank you so much!

europepack.JPG

Please find links below to the Hell's Circus European Islands Pack Version 1:

Island Pack

Required Addons

There are 9 islands included in the .rar - all with anims - please check readme for installation instructions. You need to name the mod folder exactly as listed for the island anims to work.

Hint: If you have previously downloaded an older version of one of these islands - either delete it, or move it to a backup folder to avoid problems.

Please note that the required addons include the AEF Train, Mapfact (all) and Berghoff Nature Pack II. If you have already downloaded these addons for other uses, you do not need to grab the required addons .rar - it is meant as a simply 'one click' access to all needed files.

Islands that 'made the grade' for this pack: Armoured Spearhead, Berlin Or Bust, Breakout, Caen, Enfilade42, HiRes Kolgujev, Onslaught45, Spearhead44 and Spearhead45.

Special thanks go out to DFS_MadFred for testing and [HC]Lis for putting up with my 'addiction'. Thank You!

pacific44scene1.jpg

Pacific 44 is also now available for download.

The island represents a Pacific style atoll with ai airstrip, a naval base and several small villages. Lush vegetation over most of the island.

Great job! Glad to see the new Pacific style island as well as the European island pack. Top work as usual smile_o.gif

Nice job with the islands.

My definite fave is new Kolgujev - the place feels like a forest in France the way you've done it.

Only have two comments to make

1. Runway is far too short - try landing an A10 on an aircraft carrier!

2. A lot of the bases don't have fences - which isn't a bad thing, but I'll send you a PM about this - I need a favour!

Good job, 2LT C.McDonald.

1. Runway is far too short - try landing an A10 on an aircraft carrier!

2. A lot of the bases don't have fences - which isn't a bad thing, but I'll send you a PM about this - I need a favour!

1: I guess I use smaller aircraft in OFP - what do most use? If it is jets - a lot of airfields need to be longer! I test them with a view to the Dakota and Caribou being about as big as would be expected to land on the AI strips - with the exception of AAO which was designed to take a Buff!

2: HiRes Kolgujev was designed for one of my own missions and the fences always seemed like a pain in the ass - but I am happy to redo the fences and release a version with different ones as you have requested, should only take an hour or so. Island will have to have a different name though. How about HC1_Kolgujev2010?