Sign in to follow this  
noundo

Mobile E-mail in Iraq

I have a co-worker who is going to be in Iraq for the next year or so. We would like to get him some kind of portable (Blackberry, Treo, Etc.) e-mail device for him to use while there.

What should we be looking at?

I'm in the United States.

My suggestions are:

(If he can aquire them.)

A) Body armour (Intercepter w/SAPI plates)

B) Helmet (2nd generation Kevlar w/4 point chin strap)

C) Eyewear ( 2 goggles, 2 sunglasses)

- www.willeyx.com

*note: get extra sets of lenses you will need them.

D) Boots ( look for 'enhanced hot weather' i.e. nylon matterhorn/danner)

E) Socks

F) Camelback

G) Multi-tool

H) Satellite phone

I) Flashlight (ditch the MAGLITEs for others)

J) GPS device

You can find all of the mentioned above at any credible online stores if you search them.

By the way, why email when you can talk.

On the subject, Treo will work better there than Blackberry.

Also get extra batteries.

I am sure that who ever he is employed to he can access email there.

Speaking from experience, most FOB's nowadays will have MWR centers with internet and phone access. Some even have little movie theaters and pool tables and shit. Also gyms and all that good shit. My suggestion would be get him a few international phone cards, don't by a US one, because 1000 minutes will turn into 60 overseas. And in some cases, you can even get internet in your living quarters, depending on how resourceful your support unit is. And if he IS the support unit, then he will be livin easy, more then likely. And thats my two cents.... :-)

P.S.

Yea, don't get MAGLITES, they suck, get a Surefire, they are brighter and many times smaller. We used Surefire 6P's for IED Sweeps and they are about 5 inches long.

For connectivity, voice or data, get an Iridium satphone. Yes, batteries suck, slow data transfers and expensive as hell, but he'll get full coverage.

Having said that, 868's list makes more sense.

pins is right all fobs now have net and phone capabilities some are rather quit also cell phoens are everywhere overthere and the cards are not the expensive

get surefire

wiley x sucks they fog up go with oakley

Guys, he isn't asking about gear - he's asking about what kind of portable email gadget to give his friend. I'm sure if someone is going to Iraq, all the little necessities for life over there are well covered already. smile_o.gif