Sign in to follow this  
raptor 6 actual

OH-58 Concealed Gunner Optics Idea/Questions

Hi, I'm txemtp2004 or DocRptr. I have a load of info on the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior. I wanted to know if anyone out there would be interested in being able to use the IR optical mast site located above the rotors to snap a picture of enemy activity and be able to transmit the result to say someone in an Apache.

First thing is, me creating the concealed optics display for the gunner. Next is to be able to make mast rotate, and then be able to snap the pic. After that, I'll work on the MP function to transmit the pic to other teammates.

To make a long story short, but too late, I wanted to know if it sounds like a good idea. I know it can be done, it'll just take me some time. Give me your thoughts.

Thats a very nice idea , but if it is possible then only form MP but not for the AI. Another point is to rotate the mast , i think that isn't possible but to make pics is possible already but not to send to other units rock.gif

That's right, pic taking is already available. I want to get permission to adapt those functions and incorporate it into the chopper.

I'm still new at this, so, any suggestions before I begin is appreciated.

There is a script floating around that will return the alt, range bearing, and distance to a pre-specified target.

I plan to work off of that idea.

OK, before anyone calls me on it, BAS has a great OH-58D that you can use the mast mounted site to rotate around with.

Now I will just get permission to modify the gunner optics view and continue to write the script on freezing the pic and then relaying it to someone else. (This is to all the noob's like me, research before posting a topic, duh!)

Guest RKSL-Rock

Wel it sounds like you could do it with a Turret like the AH-1 Cobra... Dont know whether it would work with the laser designator though...But worth a try.

Well one the Kiowa warrior is around already think its originaly brewed up by BIS BAS only upgraded it with laser range finder scripts. Should be a bunch of models floating around online that can used as testbeds without the need of distrubing the BAS chopper. I rather have real time transmissions than a snap shot. Which is closer to the way the system really works, the Oh58 and Oh6 usualy scouted around and attracted fire for the cobras to pound it got a bit more sofisticated when the AH64 came out the dome is still and over gorified periscope for the chooper to hit and peak over the trees pr hills using them for cover. Just so you don't get blasted by enemy ground fire, Russain tank guns are very capable of swatting down helos.

Yeah, I agree, with everything you said Bobcat,

Plenty of Kiowa's out there. I'm still kinda new, so I'm learning as I go, but hopefully, it should work.

Problem is, it dives into how to modify other aircraft to receive the transmissions, live or snapshot.

And, live, I think, is much better also. As you probably already know, battlefronts change by the second.

Any ideas on the other aircraft that should make the list for receiving the transx, give me a line here or at txemtp2004@yahoo.com

I think that live transmission of a recon camera such as you are discussing is possible, but might require some advanced scripting. It also comes into a few problems that I have seen in the past, and I am not sure myself how these problems can be solved.

While using an interface similar to the UAV's or Team Cameras, you can add an action to see through another soldier's view, but it is not able to see the "advanced" view such as through a weapon's sight. So while using something such as the Kiowa's laser designator, I am not sure if it is even possible to see that aspect using this type of script. I think you would only be able to see out of the front of the aircraft. You could create a scripted camera control that allows the view to be slewed up/down/left/right as well as zoom levels, but those views will be controlled by the viewer and are not the actual view from the Kiowa gunner.

To send a live video feed to another unit, you can just add an action that will log onto that player's view, but you will face the problems listed above. This will be pointless for the desired use though, because it will require the end-viewer to change the camera view themselves and not just watch the view based on the "sender's" image. But if this problem can be solved, a video feed is simple to simulate. You can also create an overlay for the recieved image to simulate a screen of some sort. For example, instead of using the TV or Binocular overlay, you can custom create one that looks kind of like a remote monitor.

Another problem is that a live feed must be viewed in full-screen, and would remove that player's ability to retain active controls for what ever they were doing before. An example is that if you are a tank commander in an M1A1 and you chose to view the Kiowa gunner's image, you would lose all control of your vehicle while viewing your screen. Since the ability to send live feed to a dash-mounted MFD is impossible, as well as the ability to have a Picture-in-picture display, then I don't know if this option will have much use.

But if these problems could be solved, then this would make for a very interesting and useful feature. I wish you luck in making it work or in finding some kind of workaround if it proves 100% impossible.

I rather have real time transmissions than a snap shot.  Which is closer to the way the system really works, the Oh58 and Oh6 usualy scouted around and attracted fire for the cobras to pound it got a bit more sofisticated when the AH64 came out the dome is still and over gorified periscope for the chooper to hit and peak over the trees pr hills using them for cover.  

And this would exactly be totally elite for OFP since you do have the option to go low and sneak and peak between trees.

Maybee you could get in touch with Kyle who is working on a Apache helicopter with multiple nice functions that are new. Maybee you could develop something that allows sharing of data.. you could then take that even further and incorperate the M577 command vehicle from CBT " with updated electronics biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif " and M1A2 SEP Mbt and let the sharing begin!  biggrin_o.gif

OMG this idea would get OFP into digital age sorta...  biggrin_o.gif

But anyway basicly if you can have a gunner shooting out the side door, you could also mount something up the mast. And like the HEUY that can also still fire its FFAR's while having the gunner position on the side! The Koiwa doesnt have anything like a moveing turret. Couldnt you make a like invisible miniscule gun that doesnt really fire?  The hellfires can still be locked from either the outside or on the scope.

Be sure to make something so the pilot autohovers totally still like the BAS helo with the fastrope script!!! Then you have perfect still view, and give it allot of zoom so you can actually see stuff far away!!

I hope this helps in someway, and good luck I like flying the apache between the trees, but the Koiwa would be eliteness to the fullest..

ghostface.gifbiggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif "

Guys, thanks for all of the suggestions here. I am more excited every post that I read. And each one of your ideas needs to be incorporated.

The MFD display will look basically like the MFD inside the Kiowa, just enlarged. And yes, it already takes me away from the gunner position looking straight out the window.

To be honest, I need to get BAS permission to play around with their scripts. Along with many others.

I will search the forums for all of the email addresses. If you have any info on some more ideas, I would appreciate them.

downside is all this work will kinda not be used, most do't even use the bas stuff correctly because too lazy to bother setting up missions with em correctly. for the community at large currently, it is a waste of time. So do not go on for a community based project. Most use the AH64 cause its armed better for missions. Even more so your screwed the minute another player gets hands on a SAM.

Kiowa is seldom used other than in death match, never for its correct/intented use. I beg to differ on the locked-hover mode, main reason the fast rope has it is to control the postions in the repell animations The chopper, ropes and players with not mesh correctly if the bird is moving while dropping troops The base ingame hovermode is more than well enough choppers are not easy to fly be fairly silly to add more realisim to the bird then put training wheels on it because somebody can't control their aircraft. Not to mention howmany blackhawks I've seen downed while locking in hovermode and stuck while a MG riddles it cause the AI are not bright enough to avoid ground fore or even point the chopper correctly so the door gunner can protect the bird.

The gunner controls that system it seeks about while moving while the pilot deals with avoiding trees hills and buildings while maintaining cover.

I also would love to see scripting involved where the gunner has manual flight controls. much like the pilot has manual fire control in the event the gunner is killed.

Bobcatt666, I agree with what you said. And I know that most people don't use the scripts correctly. I haven't been able to play online due to never having all the intended addons for a particular host.

The idea is lengthy, complex, but man I know it can be done. Like you, not sure how many people would use it. That's why I posted it here. Thanks for the input.

I guess it is like trying to set up the mission for something like CoC's command engine.(so many triggers, scripts, and waypoints, and variables to enter.)

what you said about ppl not useing addons corretly with all the functions is because these particular addons dont have any special functions in the game soo far... biggrin_o.gif   I mean I would love to go MP with this KOIWA with 2 ppl on Teamspeak, it would be ABSOLUTLY elite COOP game!

and about the hover, yes I suppose auto hover will do...

I fly with stick so its not that hard to hover and maintain cover and do the masking and stuff.

BTW: Is it doable to make something so the pilot view from like inside him is returned to the old setting... I dont know if you guys know what i mean, which the pilot view you could turn it to the right for instance and it would stay looking that way.. after 1.96 I think it changed and now it automatically auto centers itself!  mad_o.gif   Kinda annoying when you want to look down to the side for a while to see if you lining up on something or if there isnt a tree somewhere..

there is a video somewhere in which the US army's apache pilots demontrate their technique to ehh chop off treetops! biggrin_o.gif yeah they crashed after some serious tree clipping on low level biggrin_o.gif

Yeah, it would be fun. I am trying to play around with,(and I won't release it w/o permission) the idea given about the M977 MCU.

There is a script I found for a moveable satellite view. I stayed up all night making a MFD panel. If you are the commander of the M977 you could be able to use the satellite view or obtain the Kiowa's picture. Hopefully, without having to set up triggers. Maybe just with addAction menus. Not sure yet.

And as for the "sticky keys" for window views, I'm not sure if that can be done. Though it needs to be. I agree, flying close to trees is a trying experience.

Keep up with the ideas.

When I fly with a joystick with 1.96, I just press the "*" key on my numpad. While flying, the joystick controls aircraft movement, and the mouse controls my view. In a helicopter I can use the mouse to move my view to the side, and can then land very precisely. Unfortunately, your view in the game is nothing like in real life, and you don't have as much view. This makes looking over the cockpit edge impossible, so you are never able to get quite the view of the ground that you desire. Oh well, nothing can be done about this, no big deal. But using the asterik key does work for me, as long as you use the mouse and not the hat-switch.

Regarding the "M977 MCU", are you talking about this topic which mentioned the COMBAT! M577? If so, we might be seeing an update in the future. As mentioned in that thread, they might be improving the interior model based on some materials that will be offered. Once you see the real thing, you might have some new ideas for a console script system that you are desiring. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of vehicle-mount computer monitors that you can use as a mask for your console.

You can also look at this link, from OFPEC that talks about the same issue. I included a few drawings of the real thing, the computer shown in the middle image is the one I will try and get you photos of if you need them.

RAther see it a stand alone system that can be carried on a unit than dealing with another mods addons and going through the annoyance of messing with something that is still under developlemtn with said mods, now thats will another version of said unit requiring updates. All this chatter of doing work on the M557 is a waste, the M557 isn't even really used anymore other than in HHC units. In it hayday it _didnot_ use things of that tech level, due to the risk of it being caputered. "It was usualy fed to a high end command post far far far behind the rear end. Perfect example is BHD the airtraffic controler bird that orbited the area and gave feedback to the Command HQ. M667 was too slow for bing used in this capasity, It was mostly a Commpany TOC radio array and command post where field commanders would gather intel and orders It parked back with the supply, and maintaince units to support the line troops.

People are getting irrtaing with outfititng such units with overly sofisticated hardwear. The stuff like this was usinaly in a specail 5 ton truck/van with mobile microwave and ssatalight uplinks, even humvees or CUCVs cause they could be deployed faster to keep up with the battle field movements.

then we stick it in the back of a truck, the point I wanted to make is we have a koiwa spotter helicopter flying arround and id ing targets. And then being able to share that information with the ground mobile command center. That shared battlefield information with also the Abrams tank commander and the apache pilot.

Just the system how it would work not about the particular addons used.

I also knew about the topic in which ppl are arguing about the M557 and well therefor I said it, if its more real in the back of a truck or humvee well then thats the best option.. In multiplayer for us gamers and for the more serious people who play this sim it would be a step into a new eehh chapter...

the more real the better, cuz you allready lack sooo many things from real life, and for the other ppl no its not a game its a battlefield simulator!  biggrin_o.gif

Well, you're right about one thing for sure. It's hard to get the permission from like 30 people for all of the possibilities available.

I may have jumped the gun on the Mobile command unit. The addon is really for the apache(or my thoughts, that is) and for a limited other units.

As I said, I'm trying to make it to where you don't have to set up triggers or anything. The more user friendly, the better.

sorry its already kind advanced for most players. If they can use this proporly adding a trigger to activate is childsplay.. Besides MP is whole different problem.. I could see how it could be used to cheat. The N verients of most russain helos also has this capability..

You gotta do it for both sides.