Sign in to follow this  
Messiah

Bouncing an idea around

now... he's a little something thats kind of got me wondering if it would be possible....

basically, at the moment, and infantry soldier is useless against a Tank/APC unless he's got some AT... now what i was wondering was, would it be possible to implement a new system into tanks that make throwing grenades down the hatches possible (bear with me here)...

so, the plan:

The model would have a external cargo seat positions above the main commanders hatch... there would be no pos cargo in the memory to allow someone to select get in.

Witch scripting throught the addon, and addaction is added Grenade Hatch by which you are forced to getin the tank... now, with a new getin animation for the cargo you clamber up the side of the tank and make your way to the commanders hatch. You then sit in a kind of holding on anim above the hatch.

The final stage is a static anim for the in cargo... which (like the bis ones, you can have a fairly long sequence of moves strung together even when in cargo) shows the guy unlock the hatch, lift it up and throw a grenade down (not sure if we could add the grenade to the hand, but theres nothing stopping you adding it to the tank model and timing/placing its apearance and rotation with his hand movement. He would then duck away as the thing explodes (a bit of drop effects) and then he would be forced to disembark using another custom anim... leaving the occupants dead...

now, i dont think there's much in the plan thats not possible with the current engine... it would add a new touch to tanks i do believe, but i was interested in bouncing ideas off everyone to see what the level of interest and other ideas could be found... i have a knowledge of scripting, and could possibly implement the system myself, but have no way of getting those anims done...

the floor is yours.... smile_o.gif

Good idea but in real life I don't think you can really open it because crews normally lock it from the inside or so I hear.

I do feel that there should be some way to deal with tanks though with grenades. My biggest fear though is right as your about to throw the grenade into the tank...

"1:2 Target T-72"

*I climb onto tank*

"1: 2 Fire!"

*2 Fires law and hits me in the back with it*

Sounds like a cool idea, but I think it's kind of unlikely you'd be able to climb onto a modern MBT to even attempt it though. I've read that on at least one occasion Iraqi insurgents tried it, but the hatches were indeed unopenable from the outside and other tanks just hosed the turret down with machinegun fire.

Sounds like a cool idea, but I think it's kind of unlikely you'd be able to climb onto a modern MBT to even attempt it though.  I've read that on at least one occasion Iraqi insurgents tried it, but the hatches were indeed unopenable from the outside and other tanks just hosed the turret down with machinegun fire.

That would visually be the most weirdest thing to watch...

Having a tank trying to get someone off it's turrent, and having another tank, roll up, turrent traverse and proceed to plaster the other tank with light machine gun fire to eliminate the pesky unwanted visitor..

Like two metal elephant bohemoths swatting flies from each other's face.

Sorry enough of my imagination... carry on gentlemen.  biggrin_o.gif

of course, the use of this with modern MBT's would seem a little strange and unrealistic (in terms of having locked hatches) but i was thinking more for WW2 teams etc.... the realism isnt being discussed here, just the application

This would indeed be if not useful, atleast a nice addition. I wonder if it would be possible to make it so too, that you open the hatch and then fire your gun inside?

And oh, in WW2, the finnish army (or "army") made Molotov Cocktails and then they threw them inside the Russian tank's engines. The engine is quickly in fire and the crew climbs out, time for some MG fire.

This would rock in a WW2 mission.

what about being able to run up to the tank and have an action to throw a granade to its traks? altho I don't know if a granade would have much effect on modern amour traks?

STGN

The model would have a external cargo seat positions above the main commanders hatch... there would be no pos cargo in the memory to allow someone to select get in.

Witch scripting throught the addon, and addaction is added Grenade Hatch by which you are forced to getin the tank... now, with a new getin animation for the cargo you clamber up the side of the tank and make your way to the commanders hatch. You then sit in a kind of holding on anim above the hatch.

The final stage is a static anim for the in cargo... which (like the bis ones, you can have a fairly long sequence of moves strung together even when in cargo) shows the guy unlock the hatch, lift it up and throw a grenade down (not sure if we could add the grenade to the hand, but theres nothing stopping you adding it to the tank model and timing/placing its apearance and rotation with his hand movement. He would then duck away as the thing explodes (a bit of drop effects) and then he would be forced to disembark using another custom anim... leaving the occupants dead...

There are some problems with that. Removing (or moving, since I don't think removing would work) the Get In pos won't prevent entering the cargo. It would probably be better to fill it with a Game Logic instead. This also might not work on armored vehicles that allready carry infantry (APCs, tanks with cargo positions, etc..). As for the animation, no one could make an anim like that to truely fit all tanks, and there would be some problems with placing the soldier in the correct position and having him stay there, and once in the cargo pos the animation won't be started, it is random, you can't select it unless you use switchmove, but in my experience switchmove will work. But of course opening the hatch might (or might not) work, but you would get a black surface instead of a hole, and well, you could forget about the grenade in hand thing. Then there would be the problem of making the explosion affect the crew, you might have to fake it, createvehicle and explosion and smoke effects and set the crew damage to 1, although, people inside the tank in first person wouldn't see it. Damn allready we have run into some problems  sad_o.gif  anyone else try to give a go at it?

yes, there are alot of things to compromise on, and get over - and of course there wouldnt be a universal system for all tanks due to the animations have to work on each tank...

as someone once told me, ofp sepcial effects is all about smoke screens and mirrors - if you can fool the player into thinking something is happening, then thats as good as it needs to be smile_o.gif