Sign in to follow this  
denoir

Huygens set for Titan encounter

Akira-

Quote[/b] ]EDIT2: This NASA TV is cracking me up!

Looks more like a nature documentary on the social habits of Nasa employees

'And here we see a herd of scientists milling around in their natural enviroment, some communicate their presence in a low chatter, some rub their hands perhaps in preparation for data analysis, the more gregarious creatures seem to gesticulate in meaningful ways towards inanimate objects as well as other creatures, some sit huddled before monitors, seeming to draw some comfort from the dim illumination provided'

tounge_o.gif

I voted that it would go well, though every time i look at images of the probe if somehow appears horribly fragile...

edit..

Quote[/b] ]They just said they are receiving initial data! Wo0t!

Excellent! smile_o.gif

Something just happened on NASA TV....all the controlers started say "Whoop! Whoop!" and then started cheering...

I assume that means they are recieving the data!

Yepp, they're looking very happy at ESA and posing with "thumbs up".. news conference rigth now..

Edit: It survived 2h+

Cassini is sending data.

..hmm, the ESA director could have spoken more about the mission and less propaganda..

Anyway, it seems like the mission was a complete success smile_o.gif

Just said Hyugen could survive for 7 hours on batteries. Leads me to believe the orignal estimate for service life was more based on expected enviroment, since they also said it was warmer than they expected.

I didn't hear....when are they showing the first pictures from Titan?

Obviosly ,for something to be transmitted over such a long distance in takes time ,because the carrier signal itself has a relative slow speed over such a distance in space ,and Cassini acts as a relay station for hugyens probe where the probe will first teansmit all it's collected information to Cassini at a possible slow speed aswell.

According to Heise newsticker first pictures are due around 20.15 CET.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/55160

Ah thanks...watching the feed at work and someone in the office said something inane really loudly which blocked out when she said they would be available.

The site seems to be down, is this the one they had?

[imghttp://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/TECH/space/01/14/huygens.titan/top.main.titan.shoreline.jpg[/img]

(From CNN)

Yeah thats the one. It was linked through Fark so the website servers are probably molten silicon by now...

Crappy pictures sad_o.gif

Umm...how can you tell. You don't even know what you are looking at!

LOL, the ESA images server seems to have gone down as well (usually you can pick up early raw images there).

And on NASA's raw image page, they have the following:

Quote[/b] ]

Note: Looking for ESA's Huygens Probe images? THEY ARE NOT HERE! The European Space Agency is handling images taken by the Huygens probe and they will not be available in this gallery. When images are available, they will be posted on the ESA Cassini-Huygens homepage and the Cassini Multimedia Gallery.

In order to serve a larger audience, we are temporarily disabling the raw image search function to allow a greater number of people to access press releases and materials related to the Huygens probe descent.

This service will return next week.

Heh, I guess they're in high demand.

iNeo:

Quote[/b] ]Crappy pictures

Those are just raw thumbnails using one RGB channel. It's not the final thing.

Or maybe there's something they don't want us to see! ghostface.gif

tounge_o.gif

PS:

Quote[/b] ]iNeo:

Crappy pictures

Those are just raw thumbnails using one RGB channel. It's not the final thing.

Also it was mentioned in the briefing I saw that Huygen would be spinning as it descended and taking pictures....so a panaroma of some kind is highly likely...that will be exciting *insert Melvin face here*

The site seems to be down, is this the one they had?

[imghttp://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/TECH/space/01/14/huygens.titan/top.main.titan.shoreline.jpg[/img]

(From CNN)

Omg that´s so cool, i think it looks like a shoreline to the right in that pic. But maybe i´m just imagining things.. wow_o.gif Would´ve been neat to see that that pic in full color. smile_o.gif

Please don't quote images. wink_o.gif

But yes, it does look like there was liquid on the planet at one time... some of that looks like rivers to me.

smile_o.gif Congrats to ESA and JPL!

At first I thought that pic there was from the Mars rovers, it looks very similar to Mars (atleast to me). It sounds like that it worked once it was on the graound for a lot longer than they expected. And as well as the river like things, it almost looked like there was an ocean or maybe a lake/lakebed on the right part of the pic it took from before it landed.

From my uneducated view, it looks more like the hardened "lava waves" from a volconic eruption.

landing_02_H.jpg

Quote[/b] ]14 January 2005   This is one of the first raw images returned by the ESA Huygens probe during its successful descent.It was taken at an altitude of 8 kilometres with a resolution of 20 metres per pixel. It shows what could be the landing site, with shorelines and boundaries between raised ground and flooded plains.

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/index.html

I am very impressed to see this happen! What's even more astounding in my eyes, is that ESA and NASA worked on this together. Collaborations like these, will be needed in the future aswell, if we want to reach further out into space. Very impressive, indeed!