Sign in to follow this  
Sneaky

Footwear

I have started looking for a pair of boots to supplement my Crispi boots, which is too warm and heavy (2.3kg!) to be used during summer.

What I need is a pair of lightweight, waterproof boots with goode ancle support that will be used for walking in the mountains. Temperature from 0-25°C, in Norway.

They should be of the high type, around 20cm and up or something, black (I like black smile_o.gif ) and suitable for walking over long distances with heavy backpacks.

Other things of note is that I like "tactical" looking boots, and they dont have to be the cheapest shit that can be found. I prefer quality. Im used to heavy and rugged equipment from the military.

And if they can be used in normal everyday life to some extent, its a big plus. With that I mean they dont look like skidoo-boots.

So, my question is simply what can you recommend?

I like the looks of the Bates Enforcer and M-9s, but I dont know anything about them, so I kinda dont want to take the chance on ordering them over the internet (no shops in the area that sells those)

Any tips?

Many thanks in advance

I have started looking for a pair of boots to supplement my Crispi boots, which is too warm and heavy (2.3kg!) to be used during summer.

What I need is a pair of lightweight, waterproof boots with goode ancle support that will be used for walking in the mountains. Temperature from 0-25°C, in Norway.

They should be of the high type, around 20cm and up or something, black (I like black smile_o.gif ) and suitable for walking over long distances with heavy backpacks.

Other things of note is that I like "tactical" looking boots, and they dont have to be the cheapest shit that can be found. I prefer quality. Im used to heavy and rugged equipment from the military.

And if they can be used in normal everyday life to some extent, its a big plus. With that I mean they dont look like skidoo-boots.

So, my question is simply what can you recommend?

I like the looks of the Bates Enforcer and M-9s, but I dont know anything about them, so I kinda dont want to take the chance on ordering them over the internet (no shops in the area that sells those)

Any tips?

Many thanks in advance

I'd go for a good quality pair of shoes. When it comes to walking in the mountains you really cannot afford to "save" money if you want to treat your legs and back nicely.

I use Crispi Bessegen myself but find them a little on the heavy side - allthough they have a stable sole and are well made.

I used to have a pair of Salomon mountain goretex shoes which were light and very comfortable. They lasted only a few months though (I do walk a lot though) even though I didn't do any walking or climbing in difficult terrain (relative as I practically live in the mountains) . However, if you don't do a lot of walking in terrain that's hard on your shoes or you plan to do it only a couple of times a year they should be fine though. Mine are not produced anymore but these kinda resembles them (mine were much more expensive) :

PRO TREK 6 PLUS THYME/SWAMP

872408.jpg

My crispi boots that I use now is quite good boots. The downside is their rather extreme weight, and they're too hot for summer trips.

I dont know the model name of those boots. I got them while serving in the military (KJK). (For norwegians: TS-verdi pĺ 2000kr)

While I dont walk so very often, I really prefer to have the equipment in order when I'm first taking a walk. I really dont want to get lost on the Hardanger platou with a set of broken boots...

When I'm out walking it tends to be long and hard trips, so good shoes is quite essential.

I do see a bunch of advantages with boots of the height of the above sample (thanks, btw), but I really prefer having taller boots, because it eases crossing of rivers and you avoid annoying problems with getting plants and the like into the boots smile_o.gif

So if anyone know anything more, I'd be happy for all opinions.

If you have a pair of heavy and hot boots the model brgnorway showed is a great complement but it sounds like you are looking more for hunting boots than hiking boots.

@ Dec. 22 2004,18:59)]Holy jesus this is really getting offtopic.

And it get's less offtopic by you posting that?

Aaaand back on topic....

If "hiking" boots is what I think it is, (walking on roads) then Im not looking for that:) I'm walking in rough and hard terrain, mostly avoiding everything that have anything to do with a road or even a track:)

Heres a pic that supposedly is taken from a mountain that I'm planning a trip to next summer, Hallingskarvet, on top of the hardanger platou. You can see the kind of terrain I tend to walk in here.

BuskerudHolHallingskarvet19_g.jpg

and another one from hardanger platou

Magiske_Hardangervidda_151099.jpg

I feel the wilderness calling when I see such pics:)

@ Dec. 22 2004,18:59)]Holy jesus this is really getting offtopic.

And it get's less offtopic by you posting that?

Is it even possible that this goes more offtopic?

Aaaand back on topic....

Heres a pic that supposedly is taken from a mountain that I'm planning a trip to next summer, Hallingskarvet, on top of the hardanger platou. You can see the kind of terrain I tend to walk in here.

I feel the wilderness calling when I see such pics:)

Quote[/b] ]

If "hiking" boots is what I think it is, (walking on roads) then Im not looking for that:) I'm walking in rough and hard terrain, mostly avoiding everything that have anything to do with a road or even a track:)

The Salomon boots posted before and similar shoes are perfect for walking on "hardanger vidda" and Hallingskarvet too! High shoes are nice if you need to cross shallow rivers etc. but no shoes will be totaly waterproof. You shouldn't be too obsessed with high ankled models because of two reasons. The support provided is almost zero, the real support in a mountain shoe is in the stability of the sole. Also, if you plan on climbing a little you will soon find out that high ankled shoes takes away some of the ability to "feel" the ground through your feet. This could be potentially dangerous!

If possible I always wear shoes that makes me aware of the terrain I plant my feet in. Try it out yourself in the local forest: mix between using a high ankled heavy duty shoe and a pair of wellingtons. My tip is you'll end up with the wellingtons simply because they provide more feeling with the ground - you don't end up as easily on your ass because you slipped on ruts you were not aware of!

Anyway, high ankled shoes looks cooler and if you prefer to vade a lot you should consider a pair of Haglöfs or Alfa -they are really nice:

525001_400.gif

I know Alfa makes good boots, but hows the weight on those, and arent they rather warm?

Brgnorway: Im aware of the points you got there, but I still tend to prefer high boots.

Come to think about it, I already got high and cool looking boots (the crispis).... so perhaps I might ditch high boots for the sake of weight...

hmm, got to look into that.

Hi all

The key factor is the shape of your foot. How do I know this? Worked in climbing shops, climbing instructor, done an awful lot of walking and climbing.

The shape of your foot seems to be dictated by what country you come from. It may be genetic but it may be that your foot conforms to the local last (shape of the shoe particularly the sole) of shoe you used since being a child

The Salomon boots are good and like La Sportiva or Boreal they suit French and Spanish feet.

US and UK feet seem to go well in 5.10 or Zamberlan or Merrel.

Scarpa are a serious shoe and most top mountaineers use them my Ex wife swears by them along with most of my serious climbing buddies.

I personaly use Zamberlan for trecking Lowa or Scarpa for Alpine and 5:10 and Merrell for aproach shoes but like I said find something that fits your feet.

Go to several Shops and try them on. Until you find a last that fits your feet.

Mountain boot suppliers

Zamberlan

Zamberlan my Favourite boots click here

My last pair lasted me 10 years including the trecking in the: Alps, Himilayas and the jungles of South East Asia. anti Foot and Mouth dip in North Wales finaly killed them  sad_o.gif  but I bought a new pair and they were and are damn comfortable from day one.

Merrell

Merrell (realy good aproach shoes) click here

Had my most recent pair for two years still got plenty of tread and I wear them round town as well as out on the hills

FiveTen

Maker of the popular FiveTen climbing shoes. Highly Recomended! Best Aproach shoes in the world use their own patent brand of sticky rubber.

http://www.fiveten.com

Scarpa

Damn good mountain boots but I do not like their rock climbing shoes I prefer 5.10 but we are talking about mountain and trekking boots so they should be top of the list.

http://www.scarpa-us.com/2004/

Asolo  

Very good brand Asolo makes a wide range of comfortable, high quality footware for all outdoor activites

http://www.asolo.com/

La Spotiva

Extensive serious range of shoes. Anything from Approach to Climbing to Mountaineering and also flip-flops.

http://www.sportiva.com  

La Sportiva Click here

Boreal Shoes

Damn good maker of shoes. Makers of the famous ninja climbing slipper the most used climbing shoe for what must be getting close to 20 years. All modern climbing shoes are based on it. They of course make damn fine boots too.

http://www.boreal-club.com/

http://www.e-boreal.com/Ing/Html/catalogo/trekking.htm

Salomon

Already mentioned

http://www.salomonoutdoor.com

HI-TEC Footwear

Used to be good but now tend to be a bit shoddy at least last time I bought them. The first pair of HI-TEC desert shoes I had were the very best I had but their workmanship went down hill and they started whoring the brand same as North Face have.

http://www.hi-tec.com/indexfl.html

Koflach Mountain Boots  

Damned good boots

http://www.koflachusa.com/

LOWA Boots USA  

outdoor and ski boots

http://www.lowaboots.com/home/

Hope this helps

Kind Regards Walker

Nice walker, now were getting there. Got to be something useful somewhere there. Now I just have to find a placed here in the area that actually sells those shoes:) can become quite a challenge

Nice walker, now were getting there. Got to be something useful somewhere there. Now I just have to find a placed here in the area that actually sells those shoes:) can become quite a challenge

Just visit a shop that sells hiking/mountain boots or the one closest to it (sport and fishing stores) and ask if they can get them for you. I've asked stores to order products they haven't got several times and they've done that.

I'd choose a store with a good reputation! Mountain shoes/boots are expensive and it's vital that you get the right ones for the health of your back and feet! It's better to let the staff help you choose the right one instead of making the wrong choice yourself!

I'd choose a store with a good reputation! Mountain shoes/boots are expensive and it's vital that you get the right ones for the health of your back and feet! It's better to let the staff help you choose the right one instead of making the wrong choice yourself!

But I assume that he doesn't have any stores like that close by otherwise the best would have been to just go there and ask them instead asking here..

But I assume that he doesn't have any stores like that close by otherwise the best would have been to just go there and ask them instead asking here..

.............smartass!

tounge_o.gif

I've got a pair of Meindel heavy leather trecking boots, which have served me well in rough terrain from Mexican tropical forests to the Alps for about ten years with only minor repairs. But whatever brand you choose: wear them some days before you decide wether to buy them. Good shops should allow you to take them home with you and to wear them inside your house. That way you can easily find out wether they're really comfortable (THE major factor if you're trying to do big tours in them). A good pair can easily cost 200 Euros and more, so it's better to try a lot of pairs before deciding on which to shell out all that cash (and if you get the right pair it's an investment well worth the money!).

So while you should look for a brand that's known for its quality and a model that suits the task you should always put comfort over looks and names. After all it's your feet that have to walk in them!