Sign in to follow this  
MikeODonnell

Possible OFP v1.96 problem

I have encountered an possible error in Operation Flashpoint version 1.96 ...

When I am running OFPv1.96, OFP always crash back to OS (wallpaper size is often reduced to resolution of OFP) without any bug report after random time peroid, even if

I am playing with original OFP Resistance CD in my CD-ROM (this necessary since version 1.92B I think). This problem didn't occure when I had version 1.91,

so I think that problem might be latest Stability and Security changes in 1.96, quote from OFPPatch_191_to_196_readme.txt: "More improvements in virtual address range handling.

This should prevent error messages like "Out of memory (index buffer)".

I tried following procedures...

01) Re-install graphics driver (tried: nVidia ForceWare 61.77, nVidia Detonators 44.03, default graphics driver in Windows XP PRO)

02) Re-install DirectX (tried: 8.1B, 9.0B, 9.0C)

03) Re-install OS (tried: Win98, WinXP PRO - clean installations)

04) Flash BIOS (because I can´t install WinXP with my old BIOS, some bug when you are installing WinXP with QDI KuDoz 7-A and GeForce 2 MX 400)

05) Change resolution or refresh rate or color depth in OS

06) Change resolution, refresh rate or color depth in OFP, or disabling W-buffer, multitexturing or T&L or some other atributes in-game.

07) Change value of Hardware acceleration in Windows Display properties

08) Searched web with google and keyword C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION, even I found miserable person on AMD forum, who had same problem in OFP as I have and nobody helped him.

09) Re-install sound card driver (the one which I get with my sound card)

10) Close all programs, even if they were running on background (except system processes)

11) Run OFP on clear installation (only OS installed)

12) Searched all local drives with two antivirus softwares (AVG 7.0.290a393 TRIAL and AVAST 4.5 HOME with current virus database 3th December 2004 18:00)

13) Re-install OFP

14) Forbiding or unnistalling some system services in service.msc (like Telnet, UPnP, ...)

15) Re-install VIA_Hyperion 4in1_v455vp1 driver

16) Defragmentation of whole HDD drive, scan this drive for errors with O&O Defrag 2000 Free or windows default defrag utility.

17) Change settings of pagefile with regedit (problems with VIA and AMD described on miscrosoft pages and oficial OFP forum)

18) Choose Fail-safe defaults in BIOS

19) Running with -nomap or without -nomap

20) Changing IRQ settings to minimal sharing

...but everything without succes. OFP crashes again during any mission or in menu.

When I opened Flaspoint.rpt file I saw, that the there is always same problem: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0012F84D. Somewhere on the internet

I read that this problem migh be caused by damaged memory modules, so I tried MemTest-86 v3.2 and Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic (BETA), but

no problem have been found. Because I tried all SW procedures, which I know, so I believe that problem is in HW.

As well, I have spotted another problem with my PC, which can help you in solving my problem with OFP. Another game, Return To Castle Wolfenstein v1.1.0, returns similar error as OFP,

C0000005. It might contain some other useful informations for you, but unfortunately, OFP crashes are not written in this file...this

error (C0000005) occured too with EXPLORER.EXE or other aplications (taskmgr, winword, nero, svchost, wmplayer), as you can see in drwtsn32.log . I think, that this error makes aplications filling quite a big memory...like game demos...

That's all, If you have some additional questions or you have solved my problem with OFP, use this thread or write to my e-mail: smejkal.peta@tiscali.cz or contact me on ICQ, #215943245. This problem is

disturbing me from work on CSLA MOD Lacerta update smile_o.gif

Current PC configuration:

-------------------------

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4Ghz, 128 primary cache, 256 secondary cache, NOT OVERCLOCKED)

Main board: Legend QDI KuDoz 7-A version2 (Chipset VIA KT266a)(flashed AWARD BIOS to version v3.9 - latest version on QDI pages)

Memory: Hyundai 256Mb DDRAM  PC2100

Display: ASUS AGP-V7100 Pro/T 32MB (nVidia GeForce 2 MX 400, NOT OVERCLOCKED)

Sound card: SoundBlaster PCI 128 CT4816

Monitor: Hyundai ImageQuest P910+

HDD: Western Digital WDC WD400BB 7200rpm. 40GB, 5BG free space in drive C: (where OFP files and OS are located)

CD-ROM: ASUS CRW-1610A

Logitech B69 mouse (driver mw960enu), Samsung multimedial keyboard (WinXP driver), Canon S330 Photo printer

OS: Windows XP Professional (5.1 build 2600, without any hotfixes or service packs)

DirectX: DirectX 9.0C

Dispay driver: nVidia ForceWare 61.77 WinXP English

OFP: Original Operation Flaspoint Resistance v1.96 (installation 1.00>>1.75>>1.91>>1.96)

Purchased: 15/12/2001, AT Computers a.s.

Attached files* (I send them only if somebody of BIS ask me)

-------------------------

1) context.bin in 1/2.zip

2) Flashpoint.cfg in 1/2.zip

3) Flashpoint.rpt in 1/2.zip

4) FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE.pf in 1/2.zip (I don't know for what exactly this file is)

4) drwtsn32.log in drwtsn32.zip (deleted entries which are not related with C0000005)

*all of them are in two variants of OFP installation, for both versions was same configuration as current system configuration

Two things come to mind:

1. Did you run a disk integrity check?

2. How large is total addons in MB when you start up OFP?

Two things come to mind:

1) Yes, but it frozen after 1% because I am using only default windows disk utilitis...do you have some which you prefer?...but I have installed OFP even on clearly formatted disk...

2) about 230MB, resistance addons only.

Two things come to mind:

1) Yes, but it frozen after 1% because I am using only default windows disk utilitis...do you have some which you prefer?...but I have installed OFP even on clearly formatted disk...

Well, don't you find it a bit strange that your disk integrity check freezes after 1%? rock.gif It's not a good sign.

Two things come to mind:

Well, don't you find it a bit strange that your disk integrity check freezes after 1%? rock.gif It's not a good sign.

But i tried a disk check utility Western Digital Data LifeGuard diagnostic 1.0 or windows ScanDisk, and no errors have been found...I thought, that error is in windows defragmentation utility...

EDIT: I tried defragmentation program O&O Defrag 2000 Free...after defragmentation of disk C: (WinXP) windows defrag utility runned without problems. But error still remains.

You should add more RAM to your System.

There is definitely not enough RAM to run WindowsXP.

Don`t ever think about running a Game with this Hardware combination. rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]1) context.bin in 1/2.zip

3) Flashpoint.rpt in 1/2.zip

If you want to have your crash dump files analysed, send them to the BIS support address as written in this pinned topic.

Remedy me please if I am wrong, but I thought that required hardware configuration for running OFP: Res is 256MB RAM. I know lots of people with WinXP (e.g. from CSLA MOD) and 128MB and OFP is running them without any problems...I don't think that this problem is caused by size of RAM.

Thanks Suma, I will send it now.

What about -nomap?

There is no difference between OFP with a OFP without nomap atribute for me at all. OFP crashes again and again...

Do you run Windows without swapfile?

How big is your swapfile???

Do you run Windows without swapfile?

How big is your swapfile???

I barely know what swap file mean (or that pagefiles, what does it mean?)...so, could you explain me that? I also tried some procudure, discribed on this pages and on microsoft pages, but it didn't work.

Thanks for you help Mr_Tea...

It´s called pagefile in Win2K.

When Windows is running out of physical RAM it moves data from your RAM to the pagefile wich is stored on Harddrive.

That means if you have more RAM, Windows do not need to use the pagefile so itense.

And keep in mind, your RAM is MUCH faster then your Harddrive.

It´s called pagefile in Win2K.

When Windows is running out of physical RAM it moves data from your RAM to the pagefile wich is stored on Harddrive.

That means if you have more RAM, Windows do not need to use the pagefile so itense.

And keep in mind, your RAM is MUCH faster then your Harddrive.

That sounds possible, that my problem is in this windows "achievment". And C000005 ACESS VIOLATION might mean that windows have not found a specific part of this file...so, i will try to use microsoft KB to search some more info...

Thanks for help, all of you, i found on VIA ARENA a forum, with very much people with same problems as me. Now I am convinced, that problem is in HW configuration...BIS, pls, update your troubleshooting FAQ so users with same problems can search directly on this forums...

i have the same problem, almost. constant ctd's and have tried about everything. and yes, ofp used to work fine but now it barely runs for few minutes.

i get exactly the same access violation as you.. so the question is have you solved the problem and if yes, how? is there's a specific thread in the via forums that would address this particlar problem?

i'm really gettig desperate since ofp is the only game i play and also the only program that doesn't work.

ok, it seems that atleast this paricular problem is indeed in the 1.96 update!

i also uninstalled the game, reinstalled and updated to 1.91 which came on the cd. the game seems to be running fine now, except that there's a new kind of problem which occurs a lot less seldom: instead of crashing to desktop, it now boots the comp totally. this has only happened to me twice, but it didn't happen until a longer while.

next i'm gonna try if updating to 1.94 beta could solve this problem (without introducing the previous one).

..and it seems that the problem also occurs in 1.94 beta, which also causes my comp to boot or ctd. i suppose i just have to stick with 1.91 for now..

Remedy me please if I am wrong, but I thought that required hardware configuration for running OFP: Res is 256MB RAM. I know lots of people with WinXP (e.g. from CSLA MOD) and 128MB and OFP is running them without any problems...I don't think that this problem is caused by size of RAM.

Thanks Suma, I will send it now.

Dear Mike,

Have you got an answer from BIS to your problem. I would be very interested to hear about it because I have the same kind of problem (access violation), and my own solutions remained useless. Thanks in advance.

I am sorry, but no reply from BIS.

Since I have written to them, I tried to move my sound card or to replace old memory stick by a new one, Apacer or to thow away PCI modem, but I am still getting this error...

I have also found more and more people, experiencing this kind of bug in OFP in this board...

Somebody from BIS: is it possible that the problem is caused by a scratched CD or damaged by other way? If there is a small hope, I will buy a new copy, probably from GOTY edition if it is still sold in Czech Republic.

Thanks for your answer.

I did not find any solution either. Removing many addons seems to help though. By the way, the problem never occurs when playing without addons...

Please keep us informed if you get an answer from BIS someday.

Have fun (despite this problem).

Thanks Schroeder...I will try throwing away addons...but I have only official in RES addons folder...did you deleted even them?

Maybe that the problem still occures, but less frequently...sometimes I am able to play 1-2 hour before the problem appears...

Oh, I did not understand you were using "official addons" only. Actually, I keep using more addons than the official ones and it seems to work. I thought removing ressources-hungry addons would be efficient enough (I stocked them into an addon folder not used for playing, addons using high-resolution pac or paa for instance). As an example, some self-made missions using "Combat!M2" addon usually crashed, but worked well with default BIS M2. I did not play as long as you though (~2 hours) to check if it actually solved the problem...