Sign in to follow this  
hanzerik

Running dedicated server as a service on w2k

Anyone know how to run ofp_server.exe as a service on w2k without having to login as a user? i have no problems when i login and start it, Server runs great.

Only thing is, that i dont have a monitor, keyboard, or mouse plugged into it, just LAN cable and power. I use VNC to remote into it start the server and then close VNC. I want to be able to just have the computer boot and the server start automatically. I've tried putting a line in the autoexec.bat but no joy. Any suggestions?

I havnt opened my ports on my firewall yet to allow outside players in because I dont think the system is beefy enough to handle any more then 6 players. Maybe when I upgrade I'll open it up.

sys spec:

win2kpro

amd400-k6

256 mb ram

no sound

old 16mb banshee

running 24/7

Thx for any help HANZ..

I tried (with no success) - to run it as a service, with SRVANY.EXE (a util from the RESKIT, to run .EXE files as services).

The following error occured, when running with SYSTEM account + Interact with desktop (No network access, with SYSTEM account :-|)

When running in another "context", as an admin - I got some CONFIG.BIN error.

So I have had NO succes - sorry

Well OFP_server.exe tried to start when I used instsrv.exe and srvany.exe, but I guess it tried to run OPFLASHPREFERENCES for some reason. I allready had a flashpoint.cfg file so i dont know why it tried to run it again. Maybe becuase there was no desktop for the console to start. I'll keep trying, maybe I can get it to work some how. And I also got the config.bin error when I tried it another way. I think I had the -config= wrong in the win registry, I remember now it was becuase of the \svrany.exe at the end.

I used: instsrv ofp-server c:\<path>\srvany.exe and got config.bin error

used instsrv ofp-server c:\<path>\opf_server.exe and prefrences started instead of server

registry entries: hkey_local_machine\curentcontrolset\services\ofp-server

add key: parameters

add value: Application

add another value: AppParameters

string: -config=sample.cfg

I'll keep trying and if I have any success I'll post it here

HANZ..

Thanx so much Loafer, it SPINS like a dream - now running OFP ded. server as a service.

H3ll yea!!! Works great. Easy to install and configure. Thx a bunch Loafer. Only thing I noticed was that the ofp_server.exe was eating up a little more memory then before but no big deal.