Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

MAAM: Mutually Accepted Ammo & Magazines addon

Quote[/b] ]-> The point of all this would be to give us M4/CAR15s that sound different from M16s. I believe they're supposed to be a bit louder due to the shorter barrels?<-

This seems to work fine. I just introduced a new file to JAM_Sounds and called it M4Fire2.wss, then pointed the config for the "M4/M4HD" mags to that file (See exact text below - this is in JAM but should work the same in MAAM if you change the tags):

"""""""""""""""

"""""""""""""""

"""""""""""""""

//M4 Single, FullAuto

class JAM_W556_30mag: M16

{

scopeWeapon=0;

scopeMagazine=2;

displayNameMagazine = "30rd 5.56 Mag";

shortNameMagazine = "30rd 5.56 Mag";

picture="\JAM_Magazines\pics\JAM_556x45_30rdMag.paa";

count=30;

initSpeed=874;

drySound[]={"\JAM_Sounds\sounds\Dry.wss",0.010316,1};

modes[]={"Single","FullAuto"};

class Single

{

ammo=JAM_West_556x45_Single_Bullet;

multiplier=1;

burst=1;

displayName="5.56 Semi";

dispersion=0.0002;

sound[]={"\JAM_Sounds\sounds\M4Fire2.wss",db0,1};

soundContinuous=0;

reloadTime=0.075;

ffCount=1;

recoil="JAM_556x45_RifleRecoil";

autoFire=0;

aiRateOfFire=0.850000;

aiRateOfFireDistance=500;

useAction=0;

useActionTitle="";

};

class FullAuto

{

ammo=JAM_West_556x45_Auto_Bullet;

multiplier=1;

burst=1;

displayName="5.56 Auto";

dispersion=0.0008;

soundContinuous=0;

reloadTime=0.075;

ffCount=30;

autoFire=1;

aiRateOfFire=0.850000;

useAction=0;

useActionTitle="";

};

uiPicture="ivojak";

canDrop = true;

};

//M4 HD Single, FullAuto

class JAM_W556_30HDmag: M16

{

scopeWeapon=0;

scopeMagazine=2;

displayNameMagazine = "30rd 5.56 Mag HD";

shortNameMagazine = "30rd 5.56 Mag HD";

picture="\JAM_Magazines\pics\JAM_556x45_30rdMag.paa";

count=30;

initSpeed=874;

drySound[]={"\JAM_Sounds\sounds\Dry.wss",0.010316,1};

modes[]={"Single","FullAuto"};

class Single

{

ammo=JAM_West_556x45_Single_Bullet;

multiplier=1;

burst=1;

displayName="5.56 Semi HD";

dispersion=0.01;

soundContinuous=0;

reloadTime=0.075;

ffCount=1;

autoFire=0;

aiRateOfFire=0.850000;

useAction=0;

useActionTitle="";

};

class FullAuto

{

ammo=JAM_West_556x45_Auto_Bullet;

multiplier=1;

burst=1;

displayName="5.56 Auto HD";

dispersion=0.02;

soundContinuous=0;

reloadTime=0.075;

ffCount=30;

autoFire=1;

aiRateOfFire=0.850000;

useAction=0;

useActionTitle="";

};

uiPicture="ivojak";

canDrop = true;

};

"""""""""""""""

"""""""""""""""

"""""""""""""""

""""""""""""""

Now the 30rd S/B, 30rd S/B/A and 20rd S/A mags still use M4Fire.wss and M16Burst.wss, but the 30rd S/A uses the new M4Fire2.wss, so ->M4/CAR15 types sound different from M16/SA80 types.<-

Think I'll run with this and add in some more reload sounds, like ->distinctive reloads for M60/240, PK/RPD, AK, M16, M4, M14, M136.<-

Hi Folks,

Well - here is a summary of all the points and suggestions that have been raised so far. May I suggest that we all follow on from this list and number our own comments and ideas as we post them please?

That way, there will be a fairly ordered, comprehensive "to do" list to work through. I'll gather the new comments together every couple of weeks into the list. Thanks  biggrin_o.gif

OK - here goes:

#1. Avon suggested creating MAAM inventory pics to replace the JAM ones. (p1)

#2. xela89 suggested using mathematical formulae to calculate OFP values based on real ones, and Discalc by DKM to calculate dispersion. (p1)

#3. Scrub suggested a workflow and final approval process for handling the changes. (p1)

#4. Scub suggested a selection poll for the community to vote on changes. (p1)

#5. Avon provided the MAAM files in a non-AMORE format. (p1)

#6. Avon suggested using the MAAM/AMORE format to produce easily installable soundpacks [getting a nice one together myself wink_o.gif  ] (p2)

#7. Keycat suggested increasing the size of jam_smokeblock.p3d, so that smokegrenades are more effective at blocking the AIs' view. Avon agreed to incorporate this change if no-one objected, then said that this is an external file and users can change it themselves if they wish. (p2)

#8. Raidor suggested rebalancing the values for East weapons. Avon requested more specific values, and asked what the consequences might be for existing addons using JAM/MAAM. (p2)

#9. Killswitch detailed how to add ECP compatibility to MAAM. Avon incorporated changes into MAAM 1.1 (p3)

#10. SelectThis suggested getting input from the community rather than just opinions. (p3)

#11. DeadMeatXM2 stressed that the core issue of JAM (that the same config file must be used  for MP compatibility and thus JAM cannot be tailored to everybody's tastes), cannot be avoided. (p3)

#12. Avon stated 2 goals of MAAM: 1. to introduce new ammo & magazine types 2. to modify existing config definitions as long as they are required & accepted by the player and addon communities. (p3)

#13. Uzihayu-IDF suggested that the original BIS sounds be used where they are authentic, instead of large custom files (authentic=BIS M16, BIS AK47, BIS M60, BIS M14 Sniper). (p3)

#14. Uzihayu-IDF offered real-life sounds for Silenced Uzi, Regular Uzi, LAW Reload and M249. (p3) [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

#15. Pappy Boyington named America's Army M16, M24, M82 and M249 sounds as good, but their AK sounds as bad. (p3)

#15. Pappy offered an M2 .50cal sound. (p3)

#16. SEAL84 suggested using PUKF's script to drop expended LAWs, rather than unrealistically reloading the tube as in OFP. (p4)

#17. Avon suggested adding realistic one-shot LAWs to MAAM, in addition to keeping the current reloadable LAWs so that existing addons/missions won't be affected. (p4)

#18. Calm_Terror noted that IRL the US does not field any reloadable, man portable AT weapon. (p4)

#19. Calm_Terror suggested tweaking the hit values on AT weapons. (p4)

#20. Calm_Terror noted that IRL the AT4 is not used for AA. (p4)

#21. Calm_Terror suggested adding secondary MP5 and UZI ammo to the existing primary ammo. (p4)

#22. SEAL84 suggested Earl's weapon models to replace the existing BIS ones. (p4)

#23. SEAL84 suggested adding the RPK-74 and M249 to MAAM, and using Earl's models for both. (p4) [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

#24. SEAL84 suggested using some other models: Laser's M16/203, Inq M24, Earl's M240(?), King Homer's M1911A1 & M82A1, DanAK47's M14. (p4)

#25. Pappy Boyington noted that the Y2k3 mod replaces the default BIS weapons with INQ's weapons, so MAAM uses these too when Y2K3 is running. (p4)

#26. Pajama requested that MAAM be kept as plain as possible with no custom sounds, weapons or units unless necessary. (p4)

#27. ShinRaiden suggested splitting the config.cpp into smaller, separate files that could be included in AMORE, to make editing more manageable. (p4)

#28. ShinRaiden asked if there was a potential problem with the AMORE content in MP. Eg. could cheats install loud sounds for silenced weapons and flourescent MP5SD textures in their client-side AMORE, so that other players can't sneak up on them? (p4)

#29. Pappy argued that one-shot LAWs/AT4s would make gameplay much too hard when tanks show up. (p4)

#30. Avon agreed that #27 was a good idea. (p5)

#31. Avon asked ShinRaiden if MP validation could technically include checking for non-pbo files in a fixed folder location, with reference to #28. (p5)

#32. Avon responded to Shinraiden's concerns on #28, saying that eventually everything might have to go back into a single .pbo file. (p5)

#33. DeadMeatXM2 noted that the RPG AP, RPG AA and RPG ALL versions of the various manportable rockets are the exact same warhead in terms of blast radius, hit damage etc. Only the way that AI uses them is different. Ditto for the LAW and AT-4

#34. SelectThis noted the difficulties of agreeing on AT and bullet damages, and suggested that any changes discussed should be illustrated in .cpp values so they can be compared to other OFP weapons on a like-for-like basis. (p5)

#35. Calm_Terror suggested changing the name of the AP RPG to something other than "PG-7VR". (p5)

#36. Calm_Terror suggested increasing the damage values of AT weapons, with a config entry example. (p5)

#37. Avon asked BAS why the damage values for all AT weapons is the same in the JAM config. (p5)

#38. Pappy Boyington suggested increased damage values for the AT4, with config entry example. (p5)

#39. Calm_Terror suggested that the PG-7VR (AT) should have a much higher hit damage that the OG-7 (AP). (p5)

#40. Calm_Terror suggested that the PG-7 should have larger blast radius than the AT-4, but that the AT-4 should have longer range. (p5)

#41. SelectThis argued that high damage values for AT weapons, would make fighting in tanks unrealistically difficult, citing the effectiveness of armour in Najaf as an example. (p6)

#42. Avon stated that, with reference to #28, the use of external AMORE files should not be a problem after all, as the server checkfiles command can be made to check all files in fixed folders. (p6)

#43. ebns72 suggested MARPAT or Inq/AA sounds for the final version. (p6)

#44. ShinRaiden posted some developments on the splitting up of the config.cpp as mentioned in #27. (p6)

#45. Avon suggested expanding the MAAM concept to tank rounds and ground/air-launched missiles. (p6)

#46. Calm_Terror offered lobo_ammo and lobo_airammo for the precise purpose Avon outlined in #45. (p6)

#47. Avon recapped on the goals of MAAM, leaving the outcome of the project in the hands of the community: 1. Discussion and agreement on existing defintions and, if necessary, their modification. 2. Same for new defintions of ammo types not yet defined.

3. Inclusion of defintions for armor, vehicle and aircraft munitions. For example, this would guarantee that a Hellfire's attributes will potentially be the same, no matter which addon fires it. 4. Making optional addon files that interface existing popular addons to these ammo/magazine standards. (p7)

#48. Avon stated that if such serious changes are made and appreciated by the community, BAS will allow this to become a fully backwards-compatible JAM3 smile_o.gif (p7)

#49. Ironsight stated that the Bushfires mod will use MAAM. (p7)

#50. Cornhelium suggested using a different fire sound for the JAM_W556_30mag, since it is generally only used by M4/CAR-15 types which sound slighty different from M16s IRL. (p7) [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

#51. Pajama suggested adding some of the weapons/mags from Resistance that were not JAMmed already, such as the skorpion and bizon, stinger and SA7. (p7)

#52. Calm_Terror suggested different mags and sounds for bolt-action sniper rifles and semi-auto sniper mags. (p7) [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

#53. Pajama suggested adding mags for 32 MAC10 and 5.7mm (P90). (p7)

#54. Cornhelium suggested separate reload sounds for each default MAAM weapon. (p7) [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

Cheers, and very good luck to the brave souls who take this lot on!

Cornhelium

Cheers, and very good luck to the brave souls who take this lot on!

Go on! Take the job yourself! smile_o.gif

Seriously.

Great work! I hope MAAM will become what it should. I would be very happy if CSLA (and all other mods) could use some mutualy accepted and well researched weapons standard.

- There should be some "MAAM AUTHORITY" to provide values for new weapons created by the mod-makers. I suggest this could be some "board" of experienced addon-makers, config writers and forum members willing to coordinate the development and build-up of the weapon standards.

- The pack should be updated regularly: with a new MAAM-compatible mod adding new weapons, new version of MAAM should be available.

It could work like this (just an example):

1) CSLA comes up with new Sa-58 and UK-59, creates models and maybe records some sounds.

2) This is passed to MAAM Authority (MAAMA), which determines the values based on the exact calculation, adds all of this into new version of the MAAM addon.

3) CSLA and new MAAM are released in the same time (okay, maybe one will have to wait for another, which does not matter that much), giving just some new good stuff along with realistic weapon settings supported by community. Every version since this will contain also the weapons used by CSLA.

However, this would require serious amount of work and communication between MAAMA and mods involved, but if this gets serious, I am sure CSLA could cooperate.

Edge, you're right on the mark! A few pages back, someone offered to get RHS involved. Nothing heard from their side since then.

You modders should all message each other about this: FDF, RHS, CLSA and the other major ones under development.

Just imagine a unified weapons sound and feel in OFP! It would be great.

And with MAAM, if you don't like a sound, you can simply replace an existing sound file without modifying the weapons attributes.

But you team people have to get off your backsides and join forces to do this. I'm not qualified.

Enough chitchat. GO! GO !GO!

Quote[/b] ]And with MAAM, if you don't like a sound, you can simply replace an existing sound file without modifying the weapons attributes.

(#55) @Avon, doesn't this bring us back to ShinRaiden's point (#28) about the possibility of MP cheats? Ie. I could replace the sound for silenced sniper ammo with a deafeningly loud one, making every silenced sniper on the map clearly audible on my client PC. Ultimately, might the external sound files be a no-go?

(#56) A compromise might be to make alternative sound files available on a MAAM web-page (eg. 5 versions of M4SDFire.wss available, all different sounds but balanced at about the same volume). Then, the version checker would accept clients having any of those 5 versions, but no other version. So people could choose which of the "official" sounds they prefer, but couldn't add their own.

Sorry if this is off the mark technically - I don't really have a clue what I'm talking about biggrin_o.gif

Cheers!

Cornhelium

cornhelium, a well established point, as you pointed out.

I believe that if enough big mod and addon teams subscribe to the final product, including sound files, the sound files can revert back to within the PBO.

But historically, since JAM came out, a lot of players have griped about this sound versus that.

MAAM is simply another opportunity to make what started off as JAM a weapons standard accross the board, on condition that these addon teams concur on weapons attributes and defintiions.

Personally, I can live without the external sound files but we can all live happily ever after on agreed upon standards instead of every addon maker for him/her self.

Ah, read you Avon...we use external files 'til we get it to the Mutually Acceptable stage. biggrin_o.gif

Cheers!

Cornheluim

Hi there,

(#60) OK. I'm going to try a MAAM soundpack, to be released at Avon's discretion, incorporating:

*different reload sounds for all default MAAM weapons -point 54.

* real-life LAW reload sound from Uzihayu-IDF -point 14.

* different fire sound for  M4 single/auto from M16 single/burst/auto -point 50.

* different fire sounds for many different mags eg. the Mosin and SKS mags will sound different from the AK47 mags -new point 58.

* Separate fire sounds for bolt action and semi-auto sniper mags -point 52.

* Demo mission planner file using all mags/weapons, so sounds can easily be previewed by playing as different units (...dunno how I'm gonna get a MAAM RPK in there crazy_o.gif  ) -new point 59.

I'll try and get permission to release the sounds I'm currently using in JAM - otherwise a mix of JAM/BIS sounds will have to be used.

At least, we'll have a config with all the "hooks" in place to use separate fire and reload sounds. We can then play around with different files 'til we get a mix we can all agree on  wink_o.gif

This is going to take me a while due to RL stuff, and requesting permission from teams ranging from MARPAT to ADF to WWIIEC. Give me until,say, the 28th December and I'll have something worth forwarding to Avon to check out.

Cheers,

Cornhelium

Please update CfgPatches section to also include BIS_WeaponPack if not already done so. See also here.

Hi Cornhelium

Well done for taking on the first workload with MAAM - a concept worthy of success!

Although it is some time since I have worked with addons (I configed some New Zealand infantry last year featuring JAM which ended up in use by the New Zealand army) I would like to help!

And Avon - you may not be 'qualified' but I think your profile and respect within the community places you well to act as a project manager. And a respected project manager is badly needed for MAAM to succeed!

I can offer:

* (rusty) config skills

* free traffic and space on a web server to create a home for MAAM

It would certainly be great to see some extension into the area of vehicle ammo/armor standards - there is discussion about this in A&M:D currently. For starters, perhaps we can feature reference information on the MAAM site - stats from BIS and add-on weapons and vehicles for starters. I have a spreadsheet started to cover much of this info.

TP

Hi Termipete, and cheers mate for offering to help!

I meant to have a new version ready yesterday, but RL had other ideas wink_o.gif

I've got permission for nearly all the sounds I plan to use - IMO it's a nice mix. Some of the others (Lib 41-45, JockoFlocko, Satchel) I haven't been able to contact - please get in touch folks if you're reading this!

I also plan to add RPK-47 and RPK-74 as default MAAM weapons (new point #62), as the mags are already in there. I have permission from Earl to use his RPK-74 and Inquisitor for his RPK-47.

It's just a matter of setting these up and adding/changing the sound filenames into the config - I should get it done this weekend.

Cheers,

Cornhelium

Ps. For a future release, I'd like to change the models for the default MAAM weapons (point #24). I've got permisson from Inq and Earl, and also from DKM for their great FN-FAL (pac tex version). Many units use these, so it makes perfect sense to me to upgrade the models. I guess this one will have to go to vote...

I'm on vacation and have very little time for this now.

Sure, I'll help by doing a little bit of mothering (managing and sometimes shouting).

Cornhelium, keep up the good work and just discard RL. biggrin_o.gif

For all interested there is discussion on a 'MAAM for vehicle and aircraft ammunition types plus common armour values' in the "Common Armour Values System" thread in A&M:Discussion.

TP

Hmmm would round already in chamber and reload for 1 additional round be possible? rock.gifsmile_o.gif

Well hi there  tounge_o.gif

Just a little recap on the points raised recently in this thread:

#55. Cornhelium raised the potential MP problem of the use of external sound files (cheating possible on silenced weapons).

#56. Cornhelium suggested a workaround for this in the form of alternative, official, versions of MAAM, with sounds integrated in the MAAM_Magazines.pbo. The file checker would only allow one of the official alternative versions to be used by clients in MP.

#57. Edge raised the need for a "MAAM Authority", which has final say on all values for new magazines.

#58. Cornhelium suggests using separate sounds for all magazines where sensible to do so (Eg. SKS, AK-47, RPD and RPK-47 mags should all sound different, even though they fire the same round IRL) [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

#59. Cornhelium suggested an mission editor scenario be released with the next version of MAAM, using most of the MAAM weapons/ammo types so that users can quickly preview new sounds in-game. [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

#60. Cornhelium suggested a new version of MAAM incorporating points 14, 50, 52, 54, 58, 59. [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

#61. Benu requested update of CfgPatches section to include BIS_WeaponPack as a required addon. [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

#62. Cornhelium suggested adding RPK-74 and RPK-47 to the default MAAM weapons, using models from Earl and Inquisitor respectively. [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

#63. TermiPete offered config skills and web hosting for MAAM.

#64. TermiPete suggested getting various ammo stats from BIS and other addons onto a webpage for easy reference.

#65. TermiPete raised the importance of linking standardisation projects such as MAAM and CAVS (Common Armour Values System), especially if MAAM grows to include vehicle and aircraft ammo.

#66. Pajama requested quicker reloads if a round is already in the chamber.

#67. Pajama  requested the ability to reload a single additional round.

Update to MAAM (Point 60) is going OK and should be seeing the light of day pretty soon.

Cheers,

Cornhelium

There I was about to collapse for the evenig when a notifcation comes into my inbox telling me that cornehlium wants to keep me awake with nice news.

SHUT UP ALREADY! SHEESH! mad_o.gifcrazy_o.gifmad_o.gif

tounge_o.gif

tounge_o.gif

tounge_o.gif

Hi, excuse me for my insistance in this point; but if u want to make or set up a new standard, better than JAM_Mag2 (that shouldn't be so hard, in reffer to the sound) i think, that will be much easy for the players, to have access to a version of the MAAM that don't require of a 3th program/installer like the AMORE; and for updates... just once that a new version, inproved, tested in SP and in MP gets the final aprovation of the developers of this idea, are ready to release... If what we want it's the MAAM, why we're obligated to download a 3th program?, with a final version of each update released in common OFP related sites, all we (the players) will have a better and easyer access to the laste, "official" and updated version of the MAAM. That's what i think, and i think that at least someother players that i know, agree on this. Think about in we too from time to time, we can be lazys... but we're OFP players too. Let's cu.

Hi wipman,

I think that's what we're working towards. In the meantime, using AMORE allows people to use the Sounds and Inventory pics they want. Eventually when people agree on the very best sounds, they'll probably all go back into the MAAM_Magazines.pbo.

...AMORE is an excellent system for cutting down on the duplication of sound files. It's dead simple really biggrin_o.gif

Cheers,

Cornhelium

Okay, I need to know some things for the sound files I'm going to share with Cornhelium

1) Remind me. What's the necessary format (hz, bit-rate, mono or stereo?) for the conversion to .ogg ?

2) Will you be able to adjust the sound's volume by .cpp or scripting or whatever, or do I need to make sure the original sound is as loud as it needs to be? (Can you provide a sample gunshot that sounds perfectly loud in-game for comparison?)

3) Can you have multiple weapon sounds? For example, Halo's assault rifle has something like 10 different single-shot sounds that it chooses randomly to make its full-auto fire sound, if I remember correctly? This method seems to make for a better end-result than simply have the same gunshot sound every time you pull the trigger. (I ask, because I have seen where there are multiple, randomly-chosen ricochet/impact sounds in OFP...) So, can there be multiple reload sounds, single-shot sounds, trailing sounds, etc.?

4) Should I leave the trailing sound (the sound of the bullet ripping through the air) on or take it off? (There was confusion about this when I submitted sound effects to B.I. for v1.00 last-minute.)

Oh btw if you need any good sound contrabutions for small arms, just give me a wack. wink_o.gif I have a buttload of sounds i've made/modified. tounge_o.gif

Hi Uzi,

Quote[/b] ] 1)  What's the necessary format (hz, bit-rate, mono or stereo?) for the conversion to .ogg ?

22khz, 16-bit, mono .wav files would be perfect.

Quote[/b] ] 2)...do I need to make sure the original sound is as loud as it needs to be?  

Don't worry, I'll tweak it.

Quote[/b] ] 3)  ...Halo's assault rifle has something like 10 different single-shot sounds that it chooses randomly to make its full-auto fire sound...So, can there be multiple reload sounds, single-shot sounds, trailing sounds, etc.?

It's a nice idea, and probably quite do-able, but would bump up the file size too high I think.

Quote[/b] ] 4)  Should I leave the trailing sound (the sound of the bullet ripping through the air) on or take it off?  

Probably best to leave it on mate and I'll tweak it so the decay balances with the other sounds  wink_o.gif

Thanks for your help  biggrin_o.gif

Good evening and welcome tounge_o.gif

Just  updating the "wishlist" with some recent requests:

#68 Wipman asked for a non-installer version of AMORE. (p8)

#69 Uziyahu suggested randomised fire sounds for weapons, something like the randomised bullet hit sounds. (p8)

#70 Pajama offered sounds (Thanks PJ!) (p9)

#71 TermiPete suggested the MAAM, CAVS and ACES projects should associate more closely, maybe sharing a website as the "OFP Standards Initiative", with a banner link from ofp.info (PM)

#72 Uziyahu suggested replacing the MAAM Bizon with an AS Val or VSS Vintorez, as the Bizon did not exist in the Soviet inventory. (PM)

#73 Uziyahu asked for a the Ghost Recon "man hit" sound be used for one of the Soundhits (PM) [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

#74 KillSwitch asked for a Carl Gustav launcher and ammo to be added (PM)

#75 KillSwitch asked for some new groups in the mission editor (PM) [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

#76 shinRaiden looking at splitting up the config into .hpp sections for weapons, gruops etc. (PM)

#77. shinRaiden asked for weapon/mag loadout scripts to be included in the MAAM_Magazines.pbo, so mission makers could just put 'this exec "AK74HD.sqs"' in a unit's initfield for example (nice idea!!) (PM)

#78. Cornhelium suggests including an open config file with each new MAAM version, with the changes from the previous version highlighted. [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

#79. Cornhelium suggests changing some of the bullet fly and hit sounds to make them more varied and noticeable. [DONE - MAAM 1.3]

Cheers,

Cornhelium

Ps. Something a little more interesting coming down the wire. wink_o.gif Stand by...