Sign in to follow this  
DanAK47

Random missions

Is there a script/mission/whatever out there that will make some random missions for you?

It would be nice to be able to go into the game, and play instantly without having to pick a mission you have already played. Perhaps with respawning bad guys.

When you put the units down in the editor yourself, it gets kind of stale. I would really like a tool that simulates the quick-play mode of certain other games. Pick your soldier, weapons, backup, whatever. Then you can play until you get tired of killing enemies, and you don't know how the mission can or will unfold.

Probably not the same thing as your after (as to Player options) but for random enemy I went to a lot of trouble in my ISLAND RUN MP Coop mish (click my sig to find/DL) to make the enemy start points random as well as the later events within the mission random (timing/location etc).

While every mission will likely never be the same (especialy with human players involved) the is still a "story". Also in MP, experience players won't zip off to a special known location an dispose of half the opposing forces with one sachel charge biggrin_o.gif

From a technical point of view this was done by placing 5-10 invisible marker on the map FOR EACH GROUP and then having a script randominy place them at one of these at the start. Their destination(s) (ie waypoints) can be be done the same way with a continuious monitoring (with triggers) and re-assignment of destination (and speed). For some of the units I did this (ie helicopter patrol) in this mish, for other unit their destination was more devious biggrin_o.gif

...... same can be done with player usable transport, ammo boxs, special weapons and so one ..... Other options was to have a transport vehicle total deleted at random at the start of the mish, ie a damaged chopper low on fuel that MAY help the players escape quicker.

Yeah, there is also a radius for placement on the units. However I was hoping for something a little different.

Thanks.

I have succeeded in making a "never ending" mission with hordes of bad guys, which you can fight forever, by using this script. Works best with guard waypoint groups..

I put this in the group leader's init:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">{_x addeventhandler ["Killed",{_this exec "Respawn.sqs"}]} forEach units group this

Here's the script. Distance/time values should be changed. Basically, whenever a soldier is killed, it waits a little while and creates another one to take his place, somewhere surrounding you.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

_sol = _this select 0

_typ = typeOf _sol

_grp = group _sol

_x = 300 + random 100

?random 1 > 0.5: _x = 1 - _x

~20

?count units _grp == 12: {_x reveal _x} forEach units _grp

_typ createUnit [[(getpos player select 0) + _x,(getpos player select 1) + _x, 0], _grp, {this addeventhandler ["Killed",{_this exec "Respawn.sqs"}]}]

~300

deleteVehicle _sol

exit

There are some missions out there that make a good attempt at randomness. Operation Lojack is a good example. I think City of the Dead is good at that too. Unfortunately, most missions don't have that much randomness though.

However, if you use the "templates" in the mission editor, you can get a half decent 'quickie' battle.

Personally though, I prefer a very nicely laid out mission, where all the enemies are placed in challenging locations, and all the nice little things are included, like voices, scripts, cutscenes, etc; rather that just a quick 'shoot em up'. OFP isn't really the best game for just blowing enemies up, IMO--it's much better suited to tactical situations that make you think, which can't be done randomly very well.

Unfortunately I like to use my own units, which requires opening up the mission. And after a while it gets predictable. It's nice knowing that there are enemies out there, after you, and that you haven't "wandered out of the zone".