Sign in to follow this  
Rastavovich

How many polygons...

One cant really know the polycount. It depends on what LOD we are speaking about. Ive seen a screenshot of the BIS editor with the A10 where it said 1300 faces for instance. But was that on highest detail? Dont know.

In comparison (although the output image was screwed), the BMP appears to have 3400 polys on highest detail. But when I think on it, that appears to be the internal view (hence the reason it looked screwed) (WOW was my first inpression, an internal view with with over 3000 polys, gotto look deeper in that, since it seem awfully high).

Nope, I think that the BMP highest detail is the one with 1255 polys. Next is on 943. And so on.

Short answer:

A10, around 1300, I think.

SU25, no idea, probably around the same as the A10.

Yep, it was most definetly the internal view. Checked out the UH60 also, it even have different models for the pilot view and the passanger view. Still the general outdoor model was on some 1300 faces. (NOTE: I do not know what the faces in the paranthesis means, its higher, 1700. Didnt think on that in the bmp post. So the polycounts could be slightly higher than I think) (This is all viewed with 3D Explorer)

Once, in the I44 forum, the modellers where told by BIS (not postings from them, but from other people that had heard from BIS) that the general limit in polys was 1500 on units. Then however it was much discussed and someone said that that was only on the rifles. The units had a limit on 3500. And that was information from BIS. After that I dont know what to believe, but it appears that the 1500 count seems to be a good limit in units, rifles have way lower. (Not way, but the M16 has half that, even lower, around 600)

3500 maybe is the total limit for a object in the OFP world, any object? That is, if OFP has any limits... 1500 maybe is the general borderline when it become too high poly.

Uh, I think to much...

Bradley is around 3000 polys I believe. I find it hard to be believe that the M16 is 600. I believe it to be around 900 or so, though Oxygen cuts down the poly count so it would probally be more like 1200 if modelled in 3dsmax for example.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Jan. 10 2002,02:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bradley is around 3000 polys I believe. I find it hard to be believe that the M16 is 600. I believe it to be around 900 or so, though Oxygen cuts down the poly count so it would probally be more like 1200 if modelled in 3dsmax for example.<span id='postcolor'>

I checked it out using the p3d2obj (DEMO version of the M16, but I doubt its different from full version, but the file in the demo is actually larger 45K vs 41K (the proxy, standard version)) (Using 3D Explorer)

Outside version, highest detail:

256 vertices

143 (150) faces (again dont know what the paranthesis means)

Inside version, first person:

892 vertices

571 (597) faces

Thats what 3D Explorer say. I doubt it would be wrong on many polys. Its still an awesome amount of polys, just check out the 3rd person version of a Kingpin gun in the intro, what is it, 8 polygons? 3rd person model of HL/CS/DOD rifles? What are they on? 50 polys? 100 polys? The OFP models are even overdone with so many polys, I doubt no one would complain even cutting the 1st person down to 400, you wouldnt see much difference.

If you cut the poly count down to 400 the gun would look absolutely awfull and would really ruin one of the best parts of the game for me. I see no reason why anyone should want to do this. IMO the guns aren't "overdone". HL is old tat, designed for 1st Generation 3d hardware, 4MB ATI's, voodoo 1's etc. If I'm going to spend money on expensive GF2's/GF3's I dont want poor looking weapon models made in low poly counts thanks.

Like I said, Oxygen cuts down the polygon count by deleting inside faces I believe, possibly the M16 is 900 in p3d but in 3ds it would be closer to 1200 for example.