Sign in to follow this  
Nade

D3D Error Sapphire Ati Radeon 9600xt  256mb

I've got a Sapphire Ati Radeon 9600xt  256mb, The latest drivers (Catalyst 4.7) and the latest direct x. However operation flashpoint - cold war crisis fails to run on my graphics card. I've only installed the official upgrades and I was getting the same error when I first tried to run the game. I've tried searching the Internet and contacting codemasters support but I can't find any solutions. The -nomap target path doesn't help and i've lowered my agp aperature. I've tested direct x so I don't believe that it is faulty as it works fine on other games and I had the same problems a few months back on a previous installation of windows 2k. (Before when I had an agp aperature of 256mb in bios, i just got a black screen crash, so I changed it down to 64 and it now gives me an error message). When I start ofp It instantly closes and I get the following error:

Cannot create 3D device:

Adaptor 0 (Radeon 9600 SERIES ) Fullscreen

Resolution 1024 *768, format X8R8G8B8/D24S8, refresh 75 Hz.

Error D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY

Now I know that there are solutions to this that work in the majority of situations but believe me, i've tried them so please don't go tell me to search the forums or visit the faq.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

Nade,

Specs:

Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 4

BIOS: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG on MSI k7N2 Delta

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2500+,  MMX,  3DNow, ~1.8GHz

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)

Sound: Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo II

512mb PC3200 Ram.

Nade, are you the one that emailed me?

If so, tell everyone everything that you've tried so far.

And welcome to the forum! smile_o.gif

edit: did you run DxDiag to check for DX errors?

I recall that the original ofp never worked when i installed it. I quickly installed resistance ontop of it and that worked fine, so i never botherd to fix it.

I got a similar error as you, and -nomap doesn't work for cwc.

---

Ok i just inserted the old cwc Cd and launched the game. I got an error, but this time it was about "no entry 'bin\config.bin::CfgVoice.Martti'."

Strange..  wow_o.gif  smile_o.gif

---

Edit:

P4 3 ghz

1024 mb PC3200 ram

Audigy 2

ATI radeon 9600

Yep, thanks for your help again Avon Lady, So far i've tried the -nomap toggle,

checked dxdiag and tested all aspects of dx9,

Changed AGP aperature down to 64 and 32,

Tried changing flashpoint.cfg and userinfo.cfg in flashpoint dir,

Tried running a mod instead of normal ofp,

Hired a Priest to exorcise my gfx card,

Tried moving the ADDONS folder.

Tried Autodetect

Contacted Codemasters Suport several times, they won't replace my copy of CWC as it's "my setup" thats at fault and not their programming...

Please help!!

I've the same graphics card and very similar computer configuration running on asus MB w/ nforce2 chipset, and, i've the same error problem, but only when i run resistance w/ some other user made addons (but it's not addon problem, same addons worked perfectly on other graphic card) - !!! clear resistance works perfectly !!!

it seems this error occured when size of all used addons exceeds some number (in MBs) which somehow corresponds with graphics card memory size (in this case 256MB)

i've now no time to test it more and/or use solutions mentioned above, i wrote it only to show that this is not only Nade's problem and it's not problem of resistance installation (i'm running OFP millenium edition - 2 cd's, ver. 1.96, all patches included)

hope sollution will be found soon

Well i've sent several emails to codemasters tech support and they haven't a clue how to fix it. I've asked them if it is possible to get a replacement game as I believe a different version of ofp, such as GOTY edition wouldn't have this problem, I think it's specifically Cold War Crisis. If other radeon 9600xt users play ofp I don't see how my setup is different to anyone else.

Nade,

Have you visited the links I posted above and submitted your crash reports to BIS?

I have a very similar setup to you....

Athlon XP 2800

Win 2k Pro SP4

K7N2 Delta Motherboard (with latest bios)

1gb PC3200 Ram

DX 9.0b

MSI 128mb Radeon 9800 (Cat 4.7)

Currently using the onboard sound (I have a SB Live Value and I finally had enough of it.)

I don't think I've tried CWC with it but Resistance works perfectly fine, I'll try to remember to try only CWC over the weekend.

Edit: Forgot to put driver version & Sound Card.

It shouldn't really make any difference but you could always give the latest Omega Drivers a go, they're based on the 4.7 cats.

Again, Resistance works fine for me as well but it's cwc that i was having problems with. It was a clean install on a clean system. And i got an error. But like i said, Resistance ontop of that fixed it, so i never botherd to do anything about it.

This could very well be a radeon 9600-series only Issue?

I've the same graphics card and very similar computer configuration running on asus MB w/ nforce2 chipset, and, i've the same error problem, but only when i run resistance w/ some other user made addons (but it's not addon problem, same addons worked perfectly on other graphic card) - !!! clear resistance works perfectly !!!

it seems this error occured when size of all used addons exceeds some number (in MBs) which somehow corresponds with graphics card memory size (in this case 256MB)

i've now no time to test it more and/or use solutions mentioned above, i wrote it only to show that this is not only Nade's problem and it's not problem of resistance installation (i'm running OFP millenium edition - 2 cd's, ver. 1.96, all patches included)

hope sollution will be found soon

Now, that sounds more like the "nomap" problem. Do you run your game with the -nomap command enabled? If not, then search this forum for it because it has been discussed several times before.

smile_o.gif

I had a Radeon 9600 (Sapphire) and Resistance worked fine, unfortunately that chipset seems to have a problem with TV-Out as it died on two cards, so I finally gave up and went for the 9800 smile_o.gif

I had a Radeon 9600 (Sapphire) and Resistance worked fine, unfortunately that chipset seems to have a problem with TV-Out as it died on two cards, so I finally gave up and went for the 9800 smile_o.gif

Yes and I have a radeon 9600 and resistance works fine and dandy. smile_o.gif Cold war crisis doesn't work at all though. That is also what mr Nade is experiencing.

First some corrections:

it's not really the same card i'm using but same GPU - radeon 9600XT 256 MB - HIS Excalibur (i'think it's slightly better than Sapphire Atlantis...) smile_o.gif

OFP version is not millenium but platinum edition...

now the main part:

with -nomap OFP works perfetly with a lot of addons too - thanks Donkey...

biggrin_o.gif

Yeah I meant to correct mine is also HIS Excalibur, MSI made my motherboard, silly me smile_o.gif