Sign in to follow this  
DanAK47

Performance difference with HiddenSelections?

Are hiddenSelections rendered by the game? Could they have a performance hit? I have a soldier model with several different variations using hiddenSelections. I'm wondering if I would be better off using different p3ds for each.

They are NOT rendered by game, if it did they would be visible then of course. They might cause very small CPU hit but it would be offset by having a lot smaller memory requirements for your addon.

Most of FDFMod 1.3 units are just single P3D for each service branch which is then used to have all different variations like officer, medic, NCO etc. and I haven't noticed any performance difference compared to having different .p3d's for every models.

Instead, it uses a lot less memory and has smaller disk space requirements which probably enhances performance.

I messed with it a bit and there does appear to be a significant FPS hit.

I think I heard a LONG time ago that hidden selections are rendered except in hw t&l mode. I can't remember who said it or why, but I remember it smile_o.gif One theory I have is that having a selection hidden just changes the texture to an invisible one, it doesn't actually remove the polygons. For example, if you change the texture of a hidden selection, it appears, and if you use "" as the texture name, it disappears. in ofp having blank quotes means none or default, so this must be the texture that ofp applies to a selection that is marked in the config as hidden.

Ah, I've never tried it without HW T&L biggrin_o.gif

Well, probably no one is playing OFP without T&L if possible since even minimum hardware requirements for Resistance practically mean you should have graphics card new enough to support HW T&L (GeForce 1 or equivalent). With -nomap parameter there is no reason why anyone should run OFP without HW T&L since it gives so much better performance anyway.

And Voodoo 5xxx users should really upgrade nowadays tounge_o.gif