Sign in to follow this  
coco861541

Sockets & directplay

Can someone tell me what the differences are between sockets and directplay implemenation methods? I've read sockets is recommended for more stable mplayer.

Could anyone tell me what I should use on a home LAN of 4 PCs?

Sockets.

That netcode is just better than the Direct X stuff at least for now, so use it. ;)

from programming point of view

directplay actually uses socket, it was design to provide basic game network functionality like lobbying, the communication itself is still carry out by socket.

socket is better if the game developer have enough time to implement their own network function. directplay is too generalize but can help reduce development time.

For a server hosting just a couple of players or on a LAN, I would choose DirectPlay. It is the network code that OFP was originally developed with, and it has one terrific feature that you don't get with straight sockets: in-game voice communications, aka VON (Voice Over Network).

The VON functionality is almost free with DirectPlay, since it is built into the API. Provided all the players have headsets, you can communicate during a game without having to type or shout across rooms. Unlike third-party VON utilities, the OFP voice feature also understands sides and vehicles, and even distance. This way, you can talk to only people on your side, or in the same vehicle, or when using the "Direct" channel, anyone within hearing distance, regardless of which side they are on. The volume will also drop off with increasing distance.

And I would choose sockets as it seems to be more stable, faster and we had less trouble with certain scripts in missions. You can use Roger Wilco or teamspeak for voice communication - both work perfectly well and are freeware.

And if you're running OFP versions 1.75 through 1.91, search The FAQ for "disk delete" for a strong incentive why you should not tinker with the DirectPlay interface in those earlier OFP releases. ghostface.gif

If you have Resistance I see no reason not to run 1.96 and thus the Dplay-issue is a non-issue.

I believe most online-server use sockets so I always use sockets. Only thing I miss with Dplay is the Direct-speech Mr. Frag explained. Also I would assume Sockets are more efficient as that is the part I believe has seen the most updating.

In a lan i would give directplay a try, the ingame von is MUCH better than any other possible could be.

OTOH the socket netcode is much better, for internet play i would only use socket netcode.