Sign in to follow this  
AdmiralKarlDonuts

Alt-tab problems

As the topic says, Alt-Tabbing out of OFP has gotten to be a pain in the ass recently.

I'm on a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop with an Athalon 1.5ghz mobile processor, 448MB RAM, a Radeon AGP 320 video card with 64mb memory, Windows XP, and ofp 1.96 beta.  Screen resolution for the game and my desktop is 1024x768.

The strange part is that this is a recent problem...I've had OFP on this little laptop for over a year and have never had this problem until recently when it started becoming almost impossible to switch tasks.

Sometimes when I first start OFP, I still have the default mouse pointer on the screen, which disappears after I alt-tab out and back into OFP.

Then, if I'm in the editor working on something and have notepad open (or nothing at all, for that matter), I can't reliably switch tasks.  Sometimes it works, other times I get the mouse cursor on a nonresponsive OFP screen, BUT, then I tab back into OFP and the windows desktop flashes, OFP comes up, and OFP works fine.

It's almost like the computer is switching tasks, but my display refuses to change what it's showing.

I think this has something to do with 1.96....I'm going to investigate that a little further and see what I find.

Any ideas?

*EDIT - hmmm, nope, must have been introduced with 1.91...still does it under this version.*

This worked for me (Phaeden showed it to me):

Right click on desktop

Go to properties

Select the settings tab

Change color quality to 16 bit (From 32 if thats where you have it)

Apply

And after I did this alt-tabbing had worked since. (I've even been able to set it back to 32 bit and it still works now)

Well I'll be damned...it worked.

I had just deduced that this had nothing to do with the OFP version and was gathering up all my settings to post....you've saved me the time and embarrasment.

Thanks dude smile_o.gif

I sometimes get this problem. Yes it does pi** you off.

I find changing the desktop res helps.

Strange.