Sign in to follow this  
Baron Hurlothrumbo IIX

Us plans for fake terrorist attacks

Operation Northwoods

Quote[/b] ]

In his new exposé of the National Security Agency entitled Body of Secrets, author James Bamford highlights a set of proposals on Cuba by the Joint Chiefs of Staff codenamed OPERATION NORTHWOODS. This document, titled “Justification for U.S. Military Intervention in Cuba†was provided by the JCS to Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara on March 13, 1962, as the key component of Northwoods. Written in response to a request from the Chief of the Cuba Project, Col. Edward Lansdale, the Top Secret memorandum describes U.S. plans to covertly engineer various pretexts that would justify a U.S. invasion of Cuba. These proposals - part of a secret anti-Castro program known as Operation Mongoose - included staging the assassinations of Cubans living in the United States, developing a fake “Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even in Washington,†including “sink[ing] a boatload of Cuban refugees (real or simulated),†faking a Cuban airforce attack on a civilian jetliner, and concocting a “Remember the Maine†incident by blowing up a U.S. ship in Cuban waters and then blaming the incident on Cuban sabotage. Bamford himself writes that Operation Northwoods “may be the most corrupt plan ever created by the U.S. government.â€

This document seems to be giving the conspiracy theorists a field day. A lot of them are claiming that that a similar plan was used / is being used nowadays, with 11/9 etc. (note that the document suggests ACTUALLY creating disasters as well as staging them.)

I think its..... interesting. I certainly do not think 11/9 was staged, but I think its likely that it was siezed upon as an opportunity by the US Govt...

*edit* I also know that intelligence agencies like to contemplate some very 'pie in the sky' type of things that they aren't actually intending to carry out, and practice 'what to do in the event that' x,y, z happens, etc.

Comments?

Quote[/b] ]Operation Northwoods was a document drafted in 1962 by the Joint Chiefs of Staff and presented to Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara on March 13, 1962. Long believed to be residing in the imagination of conspiracy theorists, the document was declassified in recent years by the Freedom of Information Act.

Content

The document was drafted with the intent of getting public support for an invasion of Cuba. The Joint Chiefs of Staff argued that the US population would only support military intervention in Cuba in the event of provocative, aggressive action by the island nation against American soldiers, American civilians or Cuban refugees and Cubans in exile. The document frequently refers to staging fake attacks with fake victims, but in other cases does not specify whether the attacks should be fake or real, and for some recommended attacks explicitly notes that they could be real. Had Operation Northwoods been carried out, it would likely have required the coordinative efforts of the Central Intelligence Agency, which is mentioned several times.

Some of the recommendations of Operation Northwoods were:

* Start false rumors about Cuba by using clandestine radios.

* Stage mock attacks, sabotages and riots and blame it on Cuban forces

* Sink an American ship at the Guantanamo Bay American military base or destroy American aircraft and blame it on Cuban forces. (The document refers to unmanned drones, fake funerals etc.)

* "Harassment of civil air, attacks on surface shipping and destruction of US military drone aircraft by MIG type [sic] planes would be useful as complementary actions."

* Destroy a fake commercial aircraft supposedly full of "college students off on a holiday" (really an unmanned drone)

* Stage a "terror campaign", including the "real or simulated" sinking of Cuban refugees: "We could develop a Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even in Washington. The terror campaign could be pointed at Cuban refugees seeking haven in the United States. We could sink a boatload of Cubans enroute [sic] to Florida (real or simulated). We could foster attempts on lives of Cuban refugees in the United States even to the extent of wounding in instances to be widely publicized."

What happened?

It has been reported that John F. Kennedy personally rejected the proposal, but no official record of this exists. What is known for certain is that Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara examined and rejected the proposal, and that the President removed General Lyman Lemnitzer as Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff shortly afterward. The continuing press against Cuba by internal elements of the U.S. military and intelligence community (the failed Bay of Pigs Invasion, etc.) prompted President John F. Kennedy to attempt to reign in a burgeoning military-industrial complex that was intent on proactive, aggressive action against Communism around the globe. After the Bay of Pigs disaster, John F. Kennedy fired then CIA director Allen W. Dulles, Deputy Director Charles P. Cabell and Deputy Director Richard Bissell and turned his attention towards Vietnam.

Kennedy also took steps to bring discipline to the CIA's Cold War and paramilitary operations by drafting a National Security Action Memorandum (NSAM) which called for the shift of Cold War operations to the Joint Chiefs of Staff and The Pentagon as well as a major change in the role of the CIA to exclusively deal in intelligence gathering.

(note that the document suggests ACTUALLY creating disasters as well as staging them.)

Where does the document in the image you linked to state this?

* Sink an American ship at the Guantanamo Bay American military base or destroy American aircraft and blame it on Cuban forces. (The document refers to unmanned drones, fake funerals etc.)

It might have even worked before:

Sinking of the USS Maine

After this incident, which was never fully explained, The US stepped into the Cuban war of independence, and when the Spanish were defeated, excluded Cuban rebels from taking part in government.

As for the creation of a communist terror organization in Florida, funny thing is, there were such organizations there already - only anti-communist.

(note that the document suggests ACTUALLY creating disasters as well as staging them.)

Read it and see.

Read it and see.

Oops. I didn't page down and didn't see the links to the other pages. Thanks.

If you read page 9, you can see they also considered staging "Cuban" attacks on other countries! (Dominican Republic)

And all the talk of a real or staged shootdown of US aircraft sounds very much like the 1996

Brothers to the Rescue incident <- if you read that page, you can see that for some reason, Brothers to the Rescue blames the U.S. for the incident as much as Castro! And these guys are a right wing exile group, so what gives? rock.gif It's even funnier when you consider that the aircraft they were flying when the incident occurred were bought from the USAF

Conspiracy theories. I think they are all bullshit!  biggrin_o.gif

Yes, and people who believed this doccument existed were all full of it too icon4.gif

reminds me of the film with de niro and dustin hoffman in it where they create a phony war so that the president would get reelected, sounds familar doesnt it rock.gif

Conspiracy theories. I think they are all bullshit!  biggrin_o.gif

I think exactly the same, I don't know how people come up with this crap (probably the same people who think that the X-files are based on real events wink_o.gif )

Conspiracy theories. I think they are all bullshit! biggrin_o.gif

I think exactly the same, I don't know how people come up with this crap (probably the same people who think that the X-files are based on real events wink_o.gif )

Its a real document. Please read the thread before spouting crap.

The Northwoods document is real.  It is common practice to manufacture incidents that instill fear in the electorate in order to further a government's political agenda.  I've heard it referred to as the Hegelian Dialectic:  create a problem, wait for a reaction, and offer a solution, that solution being one that accomplishes your goal. While the tinfoil hat brigage has done much to discredit authentic documents like Northwoods with often ludicrous conspiracy theories, there are still some compelling examples of  this sort of thing, and not just on paper.  Here are some that I have seen on the net that I found interesting.

Discaimer (cop out) :  I do not endorse any of these websites, nor make any claims as to their authenticity, I merely found them interesting.  In no way do I want to disparage the memories of those that lost their lives in these events.

Heglian Dialectic explained.

Did FDR have foreknowledge of Pearl Harbor?

Israel attacked the USS Liberty in unmarked aircraft during the six day war.  While it is maintained as a case of mistaken identity this website has compelling information that suggest otherwise.  If the incident were blamed on an arab nation it could have goaded the US into entering the conflict.  The website is maintained by survivors of the attack.

The obvious one:  Iraq and Al Queda not linked?

For good measure, a link that supports the connection.

Sometimes the opportunities present themselves and are taken advantage of: Iraq's WMD's (when they find them in October), Plans for Iraq prior to 9/11, the passing of the Patriot act after 9/11(which actually had it's first draft under the Clinton Administration), etc.  

It happens on a smaller scale too, and right in my own backyard.  There was a case of an Alberta resident that was suspected of blowing up natural gas wells in his area.  He believed that the residual emissions from the wells were harming people and livestock.  The local cops knew it was him, but did not have the evidence, so they made some.

I'm not making any comparisons here but the first time I heard of this type of thing is when the Nazis did it with the Reichstag fire.

This last one is really out there, but someone has put out the theory that Canada was the victim of  deception on the eve of WWII, and that the shelling of Estevan point in BC was a staged incident.

June20 1942: "Japanese submarine I-26 is sighted off Estevan, British Columbia, Canada. Japanese submarine I-25 shells the lighthouse at Estevan Point on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. This may be the only place in Canada shelled during the war." From WW2 chronology

And the conspiracy theory.

My grandfather and his five brothers served for Canada in WW2, two of them in Lancasters.  One of them was shot down and lost his life.  If I was alive then I would have served. Everything I've read about the war, conspirational or otherwise, hasn't changed that opinion.  

Canada entered the War shortly after the shelling, and had planned to do so even before the incident in question.  Our governement arrived at that conclusion via what passes for a reasoned debate in our Parliament, and we saw justification to participate.  If this story is true, we certainly didn't need this charade to make us run for the government's apron strings demanding protection. mad_o.gif

You need to read a few more history books. Canada declared war on Germany long before 1942.  In fact, it was September 10th, 1939.

And conscription had nearly zero effect on the Canadian war effort.  Although it was enacted, the level of volunteers for people outside of Quebec was such that virtually no conscripted troops actually saw action in the Second World War.

Please excuse my ignorance....  But my problem with that the incident (again, if it is true) is the same. This was used to compel people into doing something they may have previously not supported.  To me, It doesn't matter if conscription had no impact on the war effort, it's in their method of convincing the public I have a problem with.

Sorry if I implied ignorance, that wasnt my intention.

manipulation is the order of the day when it comes to international politics. A lot of people call this 'conspiracy', but I prefer to call it pragmatic manipulation. there is nothing pretty about politics, either local, national, or international. it's a dirty disgusting process that requires a huge lack of ethics.

No offense taken.  I freely admit my ignorance of many things, my history we know is atrocious, I only just started voting, and my worst offence:  a brief stint in advertising...  Anyhow, up until a few years ago I was the sort of person that would be more concerned about the next episode of Survivor than the nightly news.  Much of the reason that has changed has been because of the discussions I read here on the forums, and this feeling it gave me that not only am I behind the curve, but I really have no *bleeping* clue about the world I live in. Thank goodness for the Internet, or not.  I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find "conclusive proof" that the Northwoods document was drafted by a secret cadre of left handed lesbian iguanas.  Some days I feel like someone has turned a firehose of information on inches from my face and I find discerning what is accurate and what isn't to be difficult.  

Anyways I just read there is fighting in Damascus.  I have already found one site that says the assailants are Blackwater-type mercenaries, and one that says it's Al-Queda. I think it's the iguanas.

crazy_o.gif