Sign in to follow this  
The-Architect

Puma

After reskinning the MLV Gazelle, some of you said that you'd like to see a British puma. So I did that too. I used RAF Puma pics as reference and have added my own markings on the doors and nose. Most of the art I've seen on real Pumas has been of Tigers which I thought was strange. Maybe its for the Tigermeet. Anyway, here are a couple of pics.

upload_97296.jpg

upload_97299.jpg

I need to sort the config file out so that it doesn't clash with the original MLV Puma. Any ideas how I do it?

Once it's done I'll release it.

Having thought about it, wouldn't you just need to change the display name and the .pbo file name?

Having thought about it, wouldn't you just need to change the display name and the .pbo file name?

no its a bit more comlicated then that. gimmie a few and ill explain how to do it

alright when i did my piper reskins i had to do the same thing as not to clash with the spec op piper. so heres what you do

class CfgPatches

{

class Piper1

{

units[] = {Piper1};

weapons[] = {};

requiredVersion = 1.90;

};

};

change the class name and the unit name (make sure the new name is the same ie: britpum

class CfgVehicles

{

class All {};

class AllVehicles: All {};

class Air: AllVehicles {};

class Plane: Air {};

class Cessna: Plane {};

class Piper1: Cessna

{

change that to match the above change (ie: britpum)

then check the rest of the config to make sure that the sounds, scripts, model paths are all changed. rename the addon folder to britpuma (or whatever u want to call it) make sure the model, sound, and script paths match this. and your done. if this confuses you post the config and ill make the changes for ya smile_o.gif

Don't forget the texture paths.... if the texture paths are not all renamed (and the textures put in the .pbo folder of the new Puma addon), then the addon will not work without the original MLV Puma addon.

Unless you know how to use a hex editor (I tried it and the hex-edited .p3d files won't work), then its a long and tedious process especially if you have to do it for many LOD's.

If this is done, then the class renaming stuff is the easy part usually unless you have a ton of scripts with class names hiding in them.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Unless you know how to use a hex editor (I tried it and the hex-edited .p3d files won't work), then its a long and tedious process especially if you have to do it for many LOD's.  

If this is done, then the class renaming stuff is the easy part usually unless you have a ton of scripts with class names hiding in them.  

That is when the wonderful world of wordpads find and replace comes in amazingly useful smile_o.gif saved us a ton of work when we changed the TAGs on the addons.

You can use Wordpad to change texture file paths?rock.gif?

Architect:  texture file paths are seen when you highlight the entire model in Oxygen (or sections) and hit "E". You will then see the root directory that the files are in.  If it says something like "data\ah1.pac" then its cool cuz its just using a default BIS texture, but if says something like "MLVpuma\cockpit.paa" then that means you gotta rename it to whatever the folder name is of your new British Puma like "BritPuma\cockpit.paa".

But maybe you already did this process.  Are you saving the .p3d file in the same folder as the original MLV Puma addon and if so does it overwrite the original MLV Puma?  

If so, then you'll need to rename all those thousands of texture paths.  However, if like vade said, you can use Wordpad, then that would be MUCH MUCH MUCH easier and I will give Vade a billion blessings for the tip because normally it takes me hours to rename texture paths.  

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

On the spec ops cessna, the bundeswehr bell47 and the desert truck pack, I used "texturep3d", to change the texture path.

MfG Lee

All I've done is printscreen the pics at the size they are supposed to be from Texview, then I edited them and saved them back as .pac and .paa. All the textures work, but I know nothing about all that stuff.

Is there a tutorial anywhere?

If so, then you'll need to rename all those thousands of texture paths.  However, if like vade said, you can use Wordpad, then that would be MUCH MUCH MUCH easier and I will give Vade a billion blessings for the tip because normally it takes me hours to rename texture paths.  

smile_o.gif

ah, no. but you can do a find and replace using a Hex editor, the only limitation is the new path and the old path must be the same length.

Ok, this is way above my head. What can I do at my end to get this out there? I'll let someone else take a look if they want to. I'll give proper credit once its finished too.

Oh! Nice chopper indeed. When I saw the name of thread I thought we'll see the famous german Puma tank of WWII.

smile_o.gif

Ok, this is way above my head. What can I do at my end to get this out there? I'll let someone else take a look if they want to. I'll give proper credit once its finished too.

Texture P3D

Euro Puma standalone

there ya go bro. get yourself a mirror and post the project complete.

im still downloading your gazell from free webs at a whoping 1005 bytes a second

when i get that ill fix that, make it standalone, and upload that too

Edit: overflow erors. unable to apply new texture paths. the puma is all i can do. yourwelcome and have a nice day  smile_o.gif

I think if he did it the same way as he did the gazelle it would be a little easier.

Edit: overflow erors. unable to apply new texture paths. the puma is all i can do. yourwelcome and have a nice day  smile_o.gif

What does that mean?

Also, Cheers biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

All seems to work fine.

I'll sort out the posting etc.

I just had a go at using the texture swap p3d.

I opened the program and then opened the puma file and directed each texture to the texture I had created. I saved it all up as a newpuma. Then I changed the config to newpuma wherever I saw MLV_Puma. I then called the whole folder newpuma and saved it as a .pbo

I put the pbo in the addons folder and opened flashpoint. I put the newpuma in the editor, pressed prieview and it crashed to desktop with a message which said "Bad file format in P3d file".

What did I do wrong?

you could try changing it to NEW_Puma as that would maintain the lengths of the Paths.

I just had a go at using the texture swap p3d.

I opened the program and then opened the puma file and directed each texture to the texture I had created. I saved it all up as a newpuma. Then I changed the config to newpuma wherever I saw MLV_Puma. I then called the whole folder newpuma and saved it as a .pbo

I put the pbo in the addons folder and opened flashpoint. I put the newpuma in the editor, pressed prieview and it crashed to desktop with a message which said "Bad file format in P3d file".

What did I do wrong?

didnt delete the old p3d file and replace it with the new one. u need to save the new model and rename it to the orginal one.

and the overflow error means tht when u have one addons with 400 million textures on it the swap utility cant handel it all

I have no idea what your talking about. I am having real trouble doing this texture swap stuff. The tutorial included in the .zip is shite. I need help with this from start to finish, dummy style. Either that or I'll have to get other people to do that side of it every single time.

crazy_o.gif

Irish Puma now textured. As requested. I think I'll have a go at a Gulf British one next, what do you think?

upload_98751.jpg

This is great news, i've been wanting a British version of the Puma for ages. Nice job Architect biggrin_o.gif