Sign in to follow this  
-75th-Wacky_Iraqi-LtC-

Projekt: big boat

Howdy, Spencer and I have talked it over and have decided to tell the public about our project. It's Projekt: Big Boat®. It's a ship called the Arleigh.

We need your help also, we need some texturers, models, scriptors...etc., the whole nine yards...We also have a pic for you. biggrin_o.gif (hears the crowd go wild) Arleigh.JPG

This pic is fairly old so some changes have been made (like the helicopter, at least I think (I'm not the modeler!!!!!)) Anyways, if ya wanna help, PM me or MSpencer, or eMail MSpencer at mspencer@devgru.org

Lookin nie. And since this is a ocean boat you can use the two gun script on the HMAS freemantle i found or read somewhere in another threarad.

no..... i dont. but i'll try and find the link to the addon.

That pics looks....very friggin cool! biggrin_o.gif

It is the DDG 41 'Arleigh Burke' ?

Nice work, indeed. Can this unit fire missiles, has this unit

a working close range interception system ?

Some historic background:

Arleigh Burke was a destroyer squad commander in WW2, Pacific

theatre. He was surnamed 'Arleigh 31 knots', for he always went

in combat at full speed. He was present when this unit was launched,

in the nineties.

Can someone else please host the pic.

Your bandwidth was exceeded. sad_o.gif

I have a suggestion. Long ships have always had problems with the OFP engine. Only parts of the ship will be solid, other parts, people will just fall through. A solution: Make the ship static, not a vehicle. This will allow you to add a number of weapons to the ship, and have the ship enterable. Like Hawk's Nimitz class carrier. It won't be able to move, but you can pile on the other features to make up for that.

Nice as it is, it is still way too high a poly count.

You want to have somewhere aroud 10,000 MAX for that size of vessel (even then, thats gonna cause a hell of a lot of lag)

Look to replace things like the railings with single faces with railing textures applied to them, same goes for the foreward missile silos.

Also, as the lower half of the hull will be underwater there is no need to model the bow, or the very bottom of the ship, this will help cut-down on the poly count too.

The Sea King was already on the model when we got it from our source (De Espona).

We've got someone hacking this up, he was the other day, and he's going to cut out the Sea King (Hint, possible project looming). The polys are down 3k so far, and there's more to do, we also believe working on the missile launch arrays will take the polys down a LOT.

You must know, that looking at this as a wireframe, all of the polys are on little details we can delete and replace. That big array? Looks like about 10k to me. It can be replaced with a 16 poly square.

It'll be fixed.

As far as the static object thing, I'm thinking that that's the best choice, and the only way we'll be able to move it is through an incredibly complex script to move the static object. I'm thinking if we can figure out how, we have it accessable from the engine room and bridge, which may end up the only enterable parts of the ship. Perhaps we will add some others.

As for the polys, deadmeat hit it right on. All the polys are in the railings and the arrays. The arrays can be fixed, and so can the railings. These are perfect circles, not ready for ofp. The guns are perfect circles. Five minutes in Maya can reduce the level of detail for these weapons, taking the count down signifigantly.

Please note, we didn't make this model. If you do email us and start saying I'm stealing stuff, make no mistake, you will get an extremely profane, angry letter within a day of your message. If you would like to say something other than that, feel free. You may reach me by MSpencer@devgru.org or MSpencer1313@comcast.net (my msn also), or I may be on the #USMC_MOD channel on Quakenet in mIRC. I want to see this ingame myself, and getting 2 emails saying I'm a thief is not a fun experience.

Another thing to note, I have seen these ships. I have seen them being built at Bath Iron Works, Maine, and that's why I chose the Burke. Out of this trip also came some ideas for a P3C Orion. More details will be provided soon.

This is an expansive project. Beta testing slots will be open now, but most likely, this will not be "First come First serve". We will be doing textures first, so don't hold your breath. If you have sent me a nasty letter, don't bother applying.

A beta team will be chosen now, and betas will be distributed when ready via private ftp with passwords.

EDIT2: Please note, beta testers should be ready to wait. All pictures sent will be noted as private, and any transfer will result in immediate termination. Work has just begun though, so it'll be a while... a long while.

Since only one person was sufficiently interested enough to apply, we have decided to cancel the idea of public beta testing, and have decided to, besides Redhawk_Six, keep it in the team.

Remodelling work is proceeding quickly. Texturing will start in several days.