Sign in to follow this  
Baphomet

Life after video games

Maybe they just used public available sounds ?

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Nein! Wirklich?</span>

("No! Really?")

wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Sony , which dominates the global console market, is planning for its PlayStation 2 console to have a lifespan of at least a decade, and its executives acknowledge that with such a long cycle, its user base will naturally age and have different tastes.

Are they for real?!? rock.gifcrazy_o.gif

Good news for PC gamers then! biggrin_o.gif

Let's hope by that they mean the hardware will last a decade, except even that sounds a bit unbelievable tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] You can't rely on this tiny group of people to create a large enough variety of games to satisfy gamers

Hm, yes there would be less variety however 1: I don't give a flying fuck about the average consumer, 2: I'm picky about my games. If they're quality and in a genre classification I normally enjoy. I wouldn't be so upset by lack of variety. Still I guess as a whole the industry thrives off of these average consumers. I wish it didn't, in a perfect world...

Quote[/b] ]Massive amounts of object creation, the difficulty of recording sounds (To record gunshots, you need somewhere around $10,000 in recording equipment)

There are places that do these sorts of things, I'm assuming it'd be expensive still, to a degree however not as prohibitive as buying the recording hardware yourself.

It doesn't matter how big a budget the game is. Look at EA and their Medal of Honor series. As far as I'm concerned it's all over-budget horse crap anyhow. That game is nothing more than a gimmicky FPS with world war II trappings. Might as well be a halflife mod.

Quote[/b] ]Sony , which dominates the global console market, is planning for its PlayStation 2 console to have a lifespan of at least a decade

Dammit. I wish the PC hardware industry had that sort of product longevity.

I can't imagine that the next Sony console will be powerful enough to maintain a lead in hardware for ten years. People have become too addicted to eye candy. So you'll see Microsquash and possibly Nintendo using that to their advantage.

I don't know how they would plan to make money off a console that will last that long either. I would imagine a lot of their revenue would be gained from consumers buying a marked-up piece of hardware every few years.

Then again perhaps the development costs for such a thing aren't as inexpensive as I think? Perhaps it would in the long run be more cost effective to take this newly proposed route?

Quote[/b] ]

many games from "the good old days" are just rip-offs aswell.

Maybe so in a sense but it was in a day when gaming as a whole was quite new. Not to mention my own personal slant/bias towards things that have sentimental value.

I am more concerned/annoyed at companies that are trying to draw in the nostalgia crowd by caching in on the credit established by old favorites. Like Ninja Gaiden. I've seen the new game and it's nothing more than a shitty 3rd person hack and slash with the name slapped on it.

Quote[/b] ]With more and more titles chasing the success of their predecessors and content owners digging deep into their libraries to tap older material for quick fail-proof conversion into games, the industry is faced with a question more serious than rhetorical: What's new?

Grrr...

This just annoys me.

That's just blasphemy. 9 out of 10 games made off of movie licences are horribly shallow piles of binary garbage anyhow.

It's because none of these companies are willing to innovate or take a route less traveled.

Bah.

That's just blasphemy. 9 out of 10 games made off of movie licences are horribly shallow piles of binary garbage anyhow.

Anyone remember Ocean? Back then it was a synonym for typical movie/tv conversions... *shudders*

Quote[/b] ]It's because none of these companies are willing to innovate or take a route less traveled.

And that's where hobby programmers can start: make an innovation. If it's getting popular the big labels will start to copy it.

Btw: That's what I mean with "Stay tuned for new bastler projects"... *needs-a-new-classical-adventure-game*

My literature these days:

online book (to get away from these stupid polling loops)

online tutorial (to get familiar with today's gaming libraries)

(plus a big language report on PEARL90 wow_o.gif)

Quote[/b] ]1: I don't give a flying fuck about the average consumer

The video game companies make most of their money from average gamers, so they make what they want. To put in your own words, they don't give a flying fuck about "fringe consumers" like you. There aren't enough people like you to make a dent in these companies' profits. And besides, why should the companies go out and make games that don't please a majority of gamers? What, do you think they should make games specifically for small groups of people and forget their main audience? They would go bankrupt if they tried to do that.

Stop stop stop stop.

The sony statement about the next playstation 'lasting' 10 years is because people still have the original playstation... about 10 years after it was released.

There is no WAY a console could be released that stays at the cutting edge of hardware for 10 MONTHS, let alone 10 years. PCs make consoles obsolete almost before they are released.

You can buy a gaming PC for roughly double or 3 times the price of a brand new console that will last 3 times as long without becoming obsolete (and even then its cheaper to upgrade it than to buy a whole new console.)