Sign in to follow this  
threat.at

Training missions, arcade mode, mission continue

Hi!

I'm a OFP noob and nibbling on the first missions of CWC.

It would be nice, if OFP2 would have some training missions, were you fight like in a paintball match, with some count of own hits and hits got yourself.

The "Cadet"-Mode should get an additional weaker mode, where you don't die with one hit and game over.

With those 2 features players could train much more better and convenient. It wouldn't be like for me now: Restart-bang-dead-restart-bang-dead-restart-bang-dead....

And like in Counterstrike it would be REALLY GREAT biggrin_o.gif if OFP2 would continue in a Free Look or Angel Mode, when you are "dead", so that it is possible to watch the remaining campaign not from a birds perspective, but from human or 3rd person view, as long as the player wishes.

I clearly understand, that this aint Counterstrike, I know, this is a simulation and war is that hard und grim, but I think, a markable part of the game should be training an maneuvers, like a soldier normaly has.

Probably a whole training campaign? wink_o.gif From little target exercises to sneaking and intelligence missions, from leading a tank to leading a whole group, from a little combat to a whole maneuver...

Creating OFP pros, hm? smile_o.gif

I really would like to make such a campaign, but I think, for such a task you need a whole team and must have total knowledge about VBS...

Hi!

I'm a OFP noob and nibbling on the first missions of CWC.

It would be nice, if OFP2 would have some training missions, were you fight like in a paintball match, with some count of own hits and hits got yourself.

...Like the 'paintball' games that came with the game?

(Missions are called '2-8_T_RealPaintball.intro' for example)

-ALREADY IN THE GAME

Quote[/b] ]

The "Cadet"-Mode should get an additional weaker mode, where you don't die with one hit and game over.

No it shouldn't.

You should learn how to play. OR play quake if you want unrealistic damage. You won't learn how to play if you know you can take multiple hits.

Quote[/b] ]

With those 2 features players could train much more better and convenient. It wouldn't be like for me now: Restart-bang-dead-restart-bang-dead-restart-bang-dead....

Its called respawn. There are different types. You can play multiplayer missions with it on if you want.

-ALREADY IN THE GAME

Quote[/b] ]

And like in Counterstrike it would be REALLY GREAT biggrin_o.gif if OFP2 would continue in a Free Look or Angel Mode, when you are "dead", so that it is possible to watch the remaining campaign not from a birds perspective, but from human or 3rd person view, as long as the player wishes.

Get missions with Kegetys excellent spectator script in, or put it in yourself

-ALREADY IN THE GAME

Quote[/b] ]

I clearly understand, that this aint Counterstrike, I know, this is a simulation and war is that hard und grim, but I think, a markable part of the game should be training an maneuvers, like a soldier normaly has.

....Like, for example, the first training missions and the first campaign missions, where you are trained and do manouvres......

-ALREADY IN THE GAME

Quote[/b] ]

Probably a whole training campaign? wink_o.gif From little target exercises to sneaking and intelligence missions, from leading a tank to leading a whole group, from a little combat to a whole maneuver...

Creating OFP pros, hm? smile_o.gif

I really would like to make such a campaign, but I think, for such a task you need a whole team and must have total knowledge about VBS...

Didn't you play the campaign? *All* of this is already in it.

What the hell are you "talking" about???

I`ve bought the OFP GOTY Edition, installed all CDs, installed all Updates and then I tried some Single Player Missions and started the CWC-campagin.

I'm no OFP modder or programmer or hacker or something - what is this "..intro"-thing?? And I don't have any clue about scripting? (for that 3rd-person-after-death-thing) But I don't think, that BI targets on the experts, when creating a game - it shouldn't be too easy, but you cannot expect the player to be a coder.

And how should I learn to play, when I die and die and die and die and seldom even see my enemy? I play in 1024x768...

I don't think, that in the real army you made you training with live ammo.

This seems to become one of this senseless discussions between a fun gamer and a fanatic, where the fungamer despairs, that the fanatics hit him in the head with a desert eagle from 200m distance (see Counterstrike). While running and WITHOUT cheating!

OK, that thing with respawn in the multiplayer-missions is a good training idea - but can I play botmatch in a multiplayer mission? Don't think so...

Quote[/b] ]

....Like, for example, the first training missions and the first campaign missions, where you are trained and do manouvres......

-ALREADY IN THE GAME

From which training missions are you talking of??? You don't want to describe the shooting range and this little missions before "After Montignac" as an adequate training for "After Montignac"rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]Didn't you play the campaign? *All* of this is already in it.

I'm YET playing the CWC-campaign and I'm hanging in this m...f...ing "After Mont"-mission - and I managed the missions before, which you call "Training", without any problem. Where is that training now?

And I'm shortly before giving up, because I don't understand, that I have to retry hundreds of times to check this mission - this ain't entertainment then anymore, and there are other good games on the market.

But I inherently like this simulation, because the simulation aspect is realized very good, and still I think, that this cannot be all - and this mission is only on extrem hard barrier on the way through the campaign...

Sometimes I think, that some OFP fanatics never even thought about it, how a training of soldiers in the real world should be. Retrying a mission for 100 times I think isn't training.

In the big wars it too often happened, the young recruits could only get a quick training and then got to the front - but much to fast - and then they died in the trench somewhere, because they weren't trained enough.

You know, you could open the editor and try to understand it, it isn't hard to do a simpel misson... wink_o.gif

And then you could train in your own missions, and if you want to go back to the campain afterwards, you can do that, otherwise you can contineu to do missions or download others missions...

Personally I think that the difficulty in OFP is good, I have as threat.at had problems in the campains, and because of that I haven't finished any of the campains, and I probibly never will...

But I think it's fun anyway, I play CTI and COOP (MP)...

And I allso use the editor as a simulator, and just drives around without enemies...

That's what I have found fun in this game, so if you have problems with the campain, try some thing else for a change, then you can go back to the campain later if you want... smile_o.gif

Its not BIS's fault if you aren't very good at games, or at figuring things out for yourself (

Quote[/b] ]OK, that thing with respawn in the multiplayer-missions is a good training idea - but can I play botmatch in a multiplayer mission? Don't think so...

YES

Quote[/b] ]From which training missions are you talking of??? You don't want to describe the shooting range and this little missions before "After Montignac" as an adequate training for "After Montignac"

EVERYONE else has managed fine. All it takes a little thinking instead of just charging in willy nilly; sometimes thinking of the best time to charge in is what is required :P

EVERYONE? Possibly everyone you know - don't gather from yourself on others.

I also heard from many people, which said, that it is too hard and this game makes no sense. OK, if BI want's to make a game for only a few selected pros, then they should do so... it is up to the developers. How many copies has OFP sold? And how many Halflife? Or Unreal? Or even Quake? And why did I first hear in November 2003 of that game, which was released in 2001, although I observe the news?

I hope, they think about raising the popularity instead of the difficulty - it should have a similar level, but the difficulty should not raise that fast - first playing around a bit in the missions before Montagnard and then suddenly be alone in a forest, hunted by soldiers, hinds and bmps. With 10 miles to run... that doesn't make any sense - that's simply said stupid! mad_o.gif

I agree that for some people, training mission in CWC was less than adequate. although I had some knowledge of how to save myself from enemy before I got this game( tounge_o.gif), for some people, it's too realaistic.

hopefully BIS can add some training missions for OFP2, like Bootcamp missions.

I consider After Montignac one of the best missions in the campaign. Great feeling of despair left alone in enemy territory only trying to get out alive.

Anyway when playing with extended armor turned on you mostly dont die with one shot. Ability to take more damage would propably destroy atleast some of the atmosphere, and atmosphere is the thing that makes most of my ofp experience. Hiding in a bush while enemy patrol passes by, knowing one shot will kill you, thinking about retry point half an hour backwards makes you really care about your life.

As said the training is pretty awful atm and hopefully ofp2 trains young soldiers more than just one mission.

In "After Montignac" just try to flank from far away, and dont shoot anyone unless they see you. If thats not doing the job theres always the magic savegame combo.

omg LoL like I thought looong time ago there would be some CS players whining about OFP if any of them would even bother to try it out biggrin_o.gif

lately I've been playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory to let my brain rest a bit. the difference between OFP and that kind of FPS is the damage system. in ET the winner of a firefight is the one who's better to dodge bullets and faster to send 50 hits to the opponent so fighting against 2 guys at the same time is quite impossible. in OFP it's almost the opposite if that. the one to live is usually the one who sees the other first cos 1 or 2 good shots takes the enemy down. this gives the possibility of surprise. it's easy to make 10 enemies bite the dust if you just know how to keep your ass hidden.

I'd consider CS and other FPS's as games and OFP as a lifestyle. maybe "one shot one kill" would make the others playable too...

Quote[/b] ]In "After Montignac" just try to flank from far away, and dont shoot anyone unless they see you.

I gotta agree here. OFP isn't always heavy fragging. actually it very rarely is.

Yes, indeed, I always played those dismember-games. I find OFP extremly hard through this - this "one shot one dead"-system. I accused to shoot like Rambo and quickly take cover. This sounds silly, but it was this way until now.

I really would like to train playing OFP, but actually I'm kind of frustated.

First, I will try to train hiding - does hiding really function? Sometimes I thought, the enemy would see me through the trees and bushes, although lying on the ground and don't making any move. And that the enemies see me much earlier than I see them. It is really hard for me to see those green Commies in a green forest with green bushes as figures, that aren't bigger than a few pixels.

In other games it doesn't function, when you are completely black camouflaged and hiding in a dark corner - other players won't see me until they use the "Center Playername"-trick. For a bot I am only a (x|y)-value with free "sight" to it - they always get me - hiding in a dark corner is impossible. Is this problem really solved in OFP??? The best bot in Counterstrike doesn't manage this problem, only one (RACC) has a good attempt through full image and sound recognition methods.

And I agree, that the feeling in the "After Mont"-mission is very realistic and scary. But, like I already said in another thread, I don't want a free save system, I would like some compromise to it - in "Vietcong" this problem is solved very good.