Sign in to follow this  
dm

Server admins, what are you doing!?!

And that bs about 56kers making you waste your precious bandwith... i never saw that one thrown at imature jerks and team killers, infact depending on gamecode it has been proved that very fast conections may require more from the server because of constant data transfer...

look

they do waste out ban width

shure its less data xfer but look at it this way

all the data we are sending to other players becomes CRAP

that is the waste of our resources time and effort

I spent thousands on this game on servers and play toys and net rental

i wont let 1 rotten apple spoil a barrel of apples when im trying to make the best dam cider around

if they dont like it, and they cant move to get High speed Net then they can buy thier own dam servers and lag it

we had two RNs in the past on 56k or ISDN that did lag but they supported our server thru donations, and guess what happend when some one called them laggers?

they got thier asses kick off the server buy a 56k/ISDN player

is that enough justice for you?

NOTE: ALL PRICES QUOTES ARE IN AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED

I think these 'leechers' (defined above) have no idea what it costs to host a server, let alone actually build one that could run MFCTI 1.16 at 50fps constant.

Solution is authentication and donations, as it costs a bucket load of gold just to build a fast server (AU$1400), then it costs alot to rent a spot in a server farm, then it costs even more for data transfer (and 100mbps links do not come cheap)

Luckily iPrimus where able, *as far as I know*, to have a server donated to them (I suspect they now 'own' the server) but traffic and hosting are free (and yes this is the most cost effective way, just build a server every 12-18 months and donate it)

And even then you are still looking at around $2000 a year, unless you know someone working at a server-farm, and can get a decent price.

To put it into perspective a Counter-Stike server costs around $120/mo to rent, it runs on 1 server, that also runs about 4 - 9 other Counter-Strike servers, as CPU load on the server is low, server fps is over 120, and memory and bandwidth usage are also low.

A Flashpoint / MFCTI 1.16 server:

-Maxes CPU0 of any box known (as it ain't threaded)

-Hammers the memory and FSB of said server

-Thus no other game can be hosted on same box as they compete for memory bandwidth on dual / quad cpu servers

-Uses a ****load more bandwidth than a Counter-Strike server

-Have had quotes in excess of AU$250/mo just for hosting one

I mean are these whining, complaining, leechers, helping to foot a $250/mo bill ?

- No

Then they can piss off, and host their own server, AND/OR build a wireless WAN community and host their own wireless servers.

12yo kids can simply not afford to play much more than a plain 32 player team deathmatch, and I doubt they can even afford a server for that, due to ongoing costs.

We work hard, we earn the cash, we put all the effort in, and we take the complaints, we also provide advise on building a WAN cheaply so the high pingers all get < 15ms pings.

Still they complain about their connection, and ruin it for everyone (as said above, 1 fool with bad connection means that everyone gets 'dodgy' data regarding that player)

However (as said above) if that high pinger is footing the bill, the tables are turned.

Get the hint ?

Maybe you should donate some serious cash to the server you ping the fastest too.

The kind gesture will get you far indeed.

What do admins need to keep going ?

- MONEY

- Thats its really, unless you want to donate a 3.8 Ghz Overclocked server, or a high end Athlon 64FX

Why are you even having this debate?

Server owners will/can do whatever they like to whomever they like.

I don't own a server, but can completely relate to the problem.

As for 12yo +/-3 years, it's good their numbers are down.

I played UT (all of them) a lot and man do i hate little kids.

The newest UT is the worst, it has an equivalent to teamspeak in OFP, and then you can hear stupid little adolescents singing, being immature, plain down rude etc...it's horrible, i stopped playing it because of little f*****g kids who's voice hasn't even mutated and they wanna give me a lecture; i killed them 95% of the time but it still took the pleasure away.

Little kids should stick to MarioKart and leave the big boys games alone.

Just my 2 cents