Sign in to follow this  
SEAL84

Stamina script

Hi all, I posted this at OFPEC verbatim but I figured it's worth putting up here too...

Would it be possible to make a stamina script for your squad?

Each man is assigned a variable at the beginning of the mission - this is his "toughness" rating. It should range from 30 min to 60 min.

When the mission starts, start a timer. When each man hits his variable limit, another script is called - this one reduces his skill dramatically and makes him whine at you over the radio that he's tired and his feet hurt. He'll still be part of the squad and can still fight, but he'll be annoying and less effective.

To remedy this, you need to choose "rest" from your action menu - everyone is set to "safe" mode and sits down for a few minutes. At the end of this short time, the timer is reset to zero for all of them and begins to count up again. They regain their default skill rating.

Of course, you should be able to cancel the rest period with an action if you need to move, but they remain tired.

Is this possible with eight or so men? If it is, I have a very clever use for it biggrin_o.gif

Yes it would be possible.

A few problems, though.

1. All those variables to keep track off, all the scripts... not very CPU\Network friendly. sad_o.gif

2. A few minutes? I understand thats how it is in real life (I have ashma and I'm a weenie, I can't even run a mile, well, I can but it takes me 8 MINUTES! crazy_o.gif and I end up weezing and my saliva glands make all this crap, okay too much info biggrin_o.gif )

3. BIS has already implemented something like this, although it doesn't prevent you from running forever, it effects your aim (run around a bit, you'll hear your guy weezing like me biggrin_o.gif )

4. BUT! You should make yours unique by detecting ALL the characters gear! The more gear he has, the more easily he gets tired! You would be the unsung hero (because this won't be implemented till OFP2!)

Honeslty though, it's going to prove a little tricky.

How to do it? I'd try testing GETVELOCITY on the player (wasn't there a built in getSPEED?) because we don't care of his velocity, just his general speed in one direction.

If you found the speed different from walking and running and made a looping script some how restricting speed (is there a command to restrict speed? Take away their fuel or something? lol.) then it's really possible.

I'm sure RED, BN880, Kegetys, Doolittle, more experienced guys will give this topic a look.

But it seems simple enough as long a you have a way to restrict speed and aim.

I'd recommend browsing the command ref in the meantime.

It's absolutely possible and for eight or so men it shouldn't put much strain on the CPU.

My suggestion is to reduce the stamina according to Combat mode, Behaviour and/or SpeedMode. E.g. the men tire much more in COMBAT/RED than in AWARE/GREEN. If in SAFE mode, you can even slowly increase the stamina again. This way you could automatically take into account resting without having to introduce a special action menu command (although this would still be nice for making them sit down).

In script terms it can be implemented via a looping script that repeatedly the group parameters and adjusts the stamina accordingly:

;parameters passed: group name and toughness (=max/start stamina)

_group = _this select 0

_toughness = _this select 1

_stamina = _toughness

_change = 0

#Loop

_behaviour = behaviour (leader _group)

_combatmode = combatMode _group

_speedmode = speedMode _group

;some algorithm to calculate _stamina change, e.g.

if(_behaviour == "SAFE") then {_change = 1.0}

if(_behaviour == "AWARE") then {_change = -0.5}

if(_behaviour == "COMBAT") then {_change = -1.5}

if(_behaviour == "STEALTH") then {_change = -1.0}

if(_behaviour == "CARELESS") then {_change = 0.0}

;adjust stamina

_stamina = _stamina + _change

if(_stamina > _toughness) then {_stamina = _toughness}

;apply skill changes

;only pseudo code here, in reality it will be a little more difficult,

;one somehow has to store the initial skill of all men so it can

;be reset again

if(_stamina < 0) then {makeComplaints; reduceSkill}

if(_stamina > 0.9 * _toughness) then {increaseSkillUpToInitial}

~30

goto "Loop"

OmniMax suggestion to take into account the gear is great. The simplest way to do this is simply to count the items in the arrays (weapons _unit) and (magazines _unit) and adjust the stamina change accordingly. Apparently ,this does not take into account the different weights of gear items.

EDIT:

Besides combat mode, behaviour, speed mode and gear there is another parameter that obviously affects fatigue, i.e. the marching speed (as OmniMax already said). I wouldn't use the speed command though as it only returns the current speed which can vary alot (e.g. if by chance a unit is static it will be zero). Instead one can calculate the distance to the previous position (thirty seconds ago) and from this the average speed.

Yes. In addition, detect if they're in the sitting animation to heal stamina faster!

and don't forget to calculate weight!

ohoohoohoohoohohohoo!

crazy_o.gif

Couple of things...

First, wow, that was fast smile_o.gif

Counting the actual gear would make it much more realistic, I agree, but I think it might be better to see if someone can whip up a basic script first...if that works, the actual gear counting part can be added.

About the action command - I think it would be a little easier for the player (who is the squad leader BTW) to just select an action and have everyone put in SAFE and sit.  This way it's clear to the player what he needs to do to solve his men's problem, rather than have to guess and put them in SAFE manually.  Maybe it would be easier, maybe not wink_o.gif

Skill levels - what about manually setting them in the INIT file so you already know what the "base" skill level is?  Then in the script you just punch in that number again and you're set.

I'll play around with that a bit later and see if I can fill in the blanks (probably not; I'm no scripter wink_o.gif)

Quote[/b] ]About the action command - I think it would be a little easier for the player (who is the squad leader BTW) to just select an action and have everyone put in SAFE and sit. This way it's clear to the player what he needs to do to solve his men's problem, rather than have to guess and put them in SAFE manually. Maybe it would be easier, maybe not wink_o.gif

Yes, I would implement such an action command, especially for the sitting animation. On the other hand I would also implement a behaviour dependent fatigue as it can have quite an impact on gameplay. E.g. your group won't endure COMBAT as long as AWARE, thus you have to be careful when to switch to COMBAT.

Quote[/b] ]Skill levels - what about manually setting them in the INIT file so you already know what the "base" skill level is? Then in the script you just punch in that number again and you're set.

The problem is that different men in the group have different skill levels. I think its quite tedious to insert them for each man manually. If you see the script only within the scope of one mission thats not a problem, but such a stamina script will surely be useful for many other mission designers.

It can be solved via scripting by storing the initial values in an array:

_units = units _group

_initialskills = []

{_initialskills = _initialskills + [skill _x]} forEach _units

_units will then store all units like [unit1, unit2, unit3] and _initialskills the skill at startup [0.66,0.5,0.5]

Good point about the skill - hadn't thought of that.

The behaviour should definitely play a part in the script.  

Regarding the speed, Spinor suggested checking the unit's average speed over the last 30 seconds and using that to determine the stamina decrease.  Makes sense - using the values you just gave, the script could include a speed range of sorts - if the guy's average speed fell between X and Y, he takes this decuction, if it fell between A and B, he'd take that deduction...

Sounds better and better every time smile_o.gif

I thought of a variation on the idea for resting to get stamina back faster.

Perhaps have when their mode is safe or whatever (on radio the voice says "#(s), At ease!" make them all sit down, then have the stamina script detect whom is sitting down and heal accordlingly.

Maybe detection if you're inside a vehicle or something... on a later version script, of course. Don't expect you all to bang it out at once, things like scripting are best done is small doses. (addons for example)

Hoohoohoohohohohoh!

crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Perhaps have when their mode is safe or whatever (on radio the voice says "#(s), At ease!" make them all sit down, then have the stamina script detect whom is sitting down and heal accordlingly.

Yes, they will only regain strength if they're put in SAFE mode.  I think it's agreed that the best way to do that is with an action menu command labeled "Rest" or something.  That would put everyone in SAFE and have them sit.  At that point they begin recharging.

I suppose that for every length of time "X" that they remain resting, they regain Y stamina points.  Of course, when they're rested, they'll get up and go AWARE again.  Plus if you get them up prematurely they'll do the same, but only with as many points as they were able to accrue during that time.

As for vehicle detection, yeah, I'll save that for later smile_o.gif I have a feeling this could take me a while wink_o.gif

Here is a first try. Actually it is quite bloated as I already tried to implement all the ideas that appeared yet. I even take into account the possible fatigue of crew vehicles.

Usage: Put both scripts "stamina.sqs" and "rest.sqs" in your mission folder. "stamina.sqs" is called like

[group, toughness] exec "stamina.sqs"

e.g. in the init field of the player:

[group this, 30] exec "stamina.sqs"

Following SEAL84, stamina and toughness(=initial stamina) are measured in minutes, which is quite intuitive.

"Rest.sqs" will be automatically added to the action menu and puts all men in the group into SAFE mode (no sitting yet)

The algorithm to calculate stamina/skill change used is quite contrived but takes into account all factors mentioned (behaviour, combat mode, average speed, weight/#items, on foot/crew/passenger).

The stamina change is calculated from all factors. Once stamina falls below zero, the skill is slowly reduced. Once the stamina rises again above a certain value (now 0.8*toughness), the skill slowly recovers again to its original value. At some stamina level (0.2*toughness) there is a warning of the impending fatigue.

All the factors/parameters can be tuned and everyone is invited to do so in order to get a reasonable result.

Have fun,

Spinor

Stamina.sqs:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_group = _this select 0

_toughness = _this select 1

_units = units _group

_N = count _units

_initskills = []; _staminas = []; _pos = []

{_initskills = _initskills + [skill _x]; _staminas = _staminas + [_toughness]; _pos = _pos + [getPos(vehicle _x)]} forEach _units

;values for tuning------------------------------------------

;loop update interval in seconds

_period = 20

;speed thresholds [v1,v2] for foot soldiers in meters/minute, 0 - slow - v1 - medium - v2 - fast

_speed1 = [50,100]

;speed thresholds [v1,v2] for vehicles in meters/minute, 0 - slow - v1 - medium - v2 - fast

_speed2 = [200,400]

;weight thresholds [w1, w2], w = #Weapons + 0.5*#Magazines, 0 - light - w1 - medium - w2 - heavy

_weight1 = [3,6]

;Behaviour/Combat mode lookup table for stamina change (per minute)

; AWARE COMBAT STEALTH SAFE CARELESS

; GR,BL,WH,YE,RE

_table1 = [[-0.75,-1,-1,-1,-1.5],[-2,-2,-3,-3,-4],[-3,-3,-3,-3,-3],[2,2,1.5,1.5,1.5],[0,0,0,0,0]]

;Speed/Weight lookup table for stamina change (per minute)

; SLOW MEDIUM FAST

; LI,ME,HE

_table2 = [[1,1,1],[0,-0.5,-1],[-0.5,-1,-2]]

;Speed table for stamina change of vehicle crews,[SLOW,MEDIUM,FAST]

_table3 = [1,0,-1]

;stamina recovery rate per minute of vehicle passengers

_passenger = 2

;stamina level for warning messages

_warn = 0.2*_toughness

;stamina level for skill recovery

_recov = 0.8*_toughness

;skill recovery rate (per minute)

_increase = 0.15

;skill fatigue rate

_decrease = 0.1

;-----------------------------------------------------------

_norm = _period/60

_getIndex ={private ["_e","_a","_i","_j"];_e = _this select 0;_a = _this select 1;_j = -1;_i = (count _a)-1;while{_i >= 0} do{if(_e == (_a select _i)) then {_j = _i; _i = -1;} else {_i = _i-1;};};_j};

(leader _group) addAction["Rest","rest.sqs"]

#Loop

?("alive _x" count (units _group) == 0): exit

_debug = ""

_i = 0

#UnitLoop

_unit = _units select _i

?!(alive _unit) OR !(_unit in (units _group)) OR player == _unit: _i = _i+1; goto "UnitLoop"

_behaviour = behaviour _unit

_cmode = combatMode _unit

goto "GroupStamina"

#ReturnGroupStamina

_vehicle = vehicle _unit

_stamina = _staminas select _i

_initskill = _initskills select _i

_pos1 = _pos select _i; _pos2 = getPos _vehicle

_speed = sqrt(((_pos2 select 0) - (_pos1 select 0))^2 + ((_pos2 select 1) - (_pos1 select 1))^2)/_norm

?_vehicle == _unit: goto "FootStamina"

?_unit in [driver _vehicle, commander _vehicle, gunner _vehicle]: goto "CrewStamina"

goto "PassengerStamina"

#ReturnUnitStamina

_newstamina = _stamina + _change*_norm

if(_newstamina > _toughness) then {_newstamina = _toughness}

if(_newstamina > _recov) then {goto "Recovery"}

if(_newstamina < 0) then {goto "Fatigue"}

if(_newstamina < _warn AND _stamina > _warn) then {goto "Warning"}

#ReturnAdjustSkill

_debug = _debug + format["%1: %2,%3\n-->St=%4+%5\n-->Sk=%6\n",_i+1,_cmode,_behaviour,_stamina,_change,skill _unit]

_staminas set[_i, _newstamina]; _pos set[_i,_pos2]

_i = _i + 1

?(_i < _N): goto "UnitLoop"

hint _debug

~_period

goto "Loop"

#GroupStamina

_j = [_behaviour,["AWARE","COMBAT","STEALTH","SAFE","CARELESS"]] call _getIndex

_k = [_cmode,["GREEN","BLUE","WHITE","YELLOW","RED"]] call _getIndex

_groupchange = (_table1 select _j) select _k

goto "ReturnGroupStamina"

#FootStamina

if(_speed < _speed1 select 0) then {_speed = 0} else {if(_speed < _speed1 select 1) then {_speed = 1} else {_speed = 2}}

_weight= count(weapons _unit) + 0.5*count(magazines _unit)

if(_weight < _weight1 select 0) then {_weight = 0} else {if(_weight < _weight1 select 1) then {_weight = 1} else {_weight = 2}}

_change = (_table2 select _speed) select _weight

_change = _groupchange + _change

goto "ReturnUnitStamina"

#CrewStamina

if(_speed < 100) then {_speed = 0} else {if(_speed < 200) then {_speed = 1} else {_speed = 2}}

_change = _table3 select _speed

_change = _groupchange + _change

goto "ReturnUnitStamina"

#PassengerStamina

_change = _passenger

goto "ReturnUnitStamina"

#Recovery

if(_stamina < _recov) then {_unit groupChat "I'm recovering."}

_skill = (skill _unit)*(1+_increase*_norm)

if(_skill >= _initskill) then {_skill = _initskill}

_unit setSkill _skill

goto "ReturnAdjustSkill"

#Warning

_unit groupChat "I'm getting exhausted."

goto "ReturnAdjustSkill"

#Fatigue

if(_stamina > 0) then {_unit groupChat "I'm out of breath."}

_skill = (skill _unit)*(1-_decrease*_norm)

_unit setSkill _skill

goto "ReturnAdjustSkill"

rest.sqs

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_group = group(_this select 0)

_group setBehaviour "SAFE"

Damn, I haven't checked this thread in a couple of days...I'm going to have to check this out and report back.

Thanks! smile_o.gif

An excellent idea, and an excellent script! Definite potential for inclusion in the ECP as an optional extra.

Does skill effect players at all? Or does it only effect AI behaviour?

I haven't noticed any impact on the player...I think any skill settings are overridden by your natural OFP talent wink_o.gif

It seems at the moment that AI-controlled groups are affected by the script, but the loon in charge won't know enough to rest his buddies. Maybe there's a way around that, but hey, you know me....I was never a scripter tounge_o.gif

Perhaps Spinor can pull something out of his big bag of tricks crazy_o.gif

An idea that jumps to mind is to flash the screen black at a rate dependant on fatigue.

Quote[/b] ]It seems at the moment that AI-controlled groups are affected by the script, but the loon in charge won't know enough to rest his buddies. Maybe there's a way around that, but hey, you know me....I was never a scripter

The script itself makes no difference between player or AI controlled. Inserting an automatic REST-modus for AI groups is no problem. I only wonder if this would not create a bag of further problems: Imagine in a fire fight all the enemies sit down and rest just because their leader decided "My guys had enough for now" wow_o.giftounge_o.gif

Yeah, that was the first thing that came to mind, actually wink_o.gif

this script is great, i have used it in SP lots and it makes for a much better mission. I am trying to get it working in MP, it works to an extent, but only shows the stamina and skill of other members of your squad, but does work for all players including the leader of the group.

Is there some way someone could make this work for a single unit? i would like it to simply do exactly the same thing, but also the addition of when the stamina is right down it slowly reduces the health of the player, and it would then detect when the player is stopped and / or sitting down and then slowly recover the stamina, but not the health. Is this possible???

Thanks for help in advance .....