Sign in to follow this  
Swamp_Fox

Yet again, cannot create 3d device

Hmm, two days ago, I'm playing OF as usual, exit, go to sleep, wake up, search for some new addons, get the Tonal-Tango mod, install it, and bam. 'Cannot create 3D device.'* Now I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I manually uninstalled it ... still no luck. Then after trying to fix it...*

*First I got this.

error.jpg

*So after going through The Avon Lady's FAQ, and the Troubleshooting FAQ here on the forums, I go to work on it some... and I get this.

error2.jpg

... Any help would be appreciated. I need my OF fix.

I'm sure this has been posted lots before but I had the same problem it ocurred when I had too many addons active at once. The solution for me was to use 1.94 and add the

"-nomap" swich to the command line of my 1.94 shortcut properties. Hope this helps.

*So after going through The Avon Lady's FAQ, and the Troubleshooting FAQ here on the forums, I go to work on it some...

What did you change? rock.gif

edit: please post your detailed system specs and audio/video driver versions.

I tried... reinstalling the video card's drivers, reinstalling DirectX 9.0b, disabling then re-enabling "Direct3D Acceleration", removing the addons I had just added, and of course, running dxdiag... My only guess is that the addons are causing it, but even after I remove them it's still happening. I'm so lost. sad_o.gif

As for the system stats...

Windows XP Pro, 2ghz P4, ATI Radeon 9800, 512mb DDR RAM.

Have you tried 1.95 and using the -nomap switch?

Have you tried 1.95 and using the -nomap switch?

I used to need -nomap before 1.95b or i would get out of memory errors using Tonal, now with latest patch is runs better than ever and very stable too, never had a ctd since 1.95b. If i were you i would try a clean instalation with the latest beta patch, maybe something went fubar in your current OPF instalation smile_o.gif .

I got this same exact error 2 days ago myself for the first time. I took out about 60 MB's of addons and it started normally.

it hasnt done it since.

Well, I removed all the addons, reinstalled both CWC and Resistance, and uh... it works. biggrin_o.gif ... Although it does seem to run slower than before, but I'm not complaining.

I myself have a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB version running Catalyst 4.1 and have no problem with the cannot create 3d device..

My friend however has a Radeon 9600 XT 256MB version and can't play OFP v1.95 with or without addons. We have tried pretty much everything with no success. Any suggestions for a possible fix will be appreciated very much. Our squad server is running 95 meaning he can't play.

This patch needs a new bandage!

Well I got it working (a few days ago smile_o.gif )... got rid of some larger addons. I've been too busy playing with the BIS helicopter rope/ladder system to care though.

I had the same problem like you. I uninstalled all OFP version and reinstall it. 1.0 works fine but when install red hammer sad_o.gif so I just uninstall, reinstall 1.0 and install resistance 1.75 but I didn't install Red Hammer. It works fine but I have not the red hammer campaigns smile_o.gif

Try it.

Quote[/b] ]My friend however has a Radeon 9600 XT 256MB version and can't play OFP v1.95 with or without addons. We have tried pretty much everything with no success. Any suggestions for a possible fix will be appreciated very much. Our squad server is running 95 meaning he can't play.

Well I have the Radeon 9600 XT 256MB (sapphire) also, but I dont have any broblems with it. Im using 4.2 drivers and using the -nomap parameter in the .exe. I have 512ddr 333 memory.

I had the same problem, damn THOSE ATI!!!! Kickem in the nutts, just bought the Radeon 9600, had Gforce 4 worked like a charm.

This is how I solved my problem:

1. Reinstall OFP

2. upgrade to 1.96Beta

3. Dont put anything in the addons, dont use -nosplash.

4. If still not working, go to ResistancePreferences.exe and lower the textures to 512x 512 , Special Effects 64x64, Autodropdown 4x

1B. If you dont wanna follow all this, do the nr.4 and remove all addons that have to do with Islands and other big addons.

Remember, to be able to work with good gfxCards, lower the configs in preferences.exe then ingame choose Options and you can higher them up.

I configs that work:

gfxCard: Radeon 9600 256Mb

Catalyst: Newest

OFP Preferences:

Resolution: 1024x768

Effects 32max lights all boxes checked

Textures, Objects, Landscape 512x512

Spfx 64x64

autodropdown 4x

Details-Max objects 256

When I had a 9600 none of that was necessary, game ran fine, what's your AGP aperture set to? What GFX drivers you using?