Sign in to follow this  
sether01

The future, or just more virtual reality hype?

Okay, just read an article in Discover magazine about a game coming out called WildDivine, and it really got me to thinking about the future of War-sims, and games in general.  Instead of me trying to describe, just go to www.wilddivine.com and read the faq, if you're so inclined smile_o.gif.  The just of it is the game responds to your heart-rate and minute amounts of sweat on your fingers.

So, anyway, my point of this post is, can you imagine how a game like OPflash would rock if something like this was integrated properly?  Instead of pre-programmed breathsway, a game would actually be able to mimic your real breathing pattern.  If you really panic and get excited as you're playing, they could make it harder to aim.  If you're adrenaline gets pumping, they could do a Max Payne like "slow-down time" effect, to represent what so many people say when life or death situations come up, that everything moves in slowmotion.  Maybe not quite to the extreme that is in Max Payne, but, you know, something.  Or, if your stress levels get too high, your men start to freak out too, perhaps breaking rules and disobeying you, etc. etc.  

The potential for this technology as an entertainment enhancement really does seem pretty cool. Unfortunately, that game won't be coming out for a little bit(early Dec.) and I do have a feeling hype is surrounding it, at least somewhat    rock.gif I dunno, I think I might ask for that thing for Christmas smile_o.gif.  There just seems to be so much potential. . .  

ps. I don't particular care for the hippy new-ageish slant they put on it.  But nevertheless, it really is based on scientific stuff.  While it's probably in a rudimentary form right now, can you imagine what the possiblities would be like in 3 years or so? Here's to hoping that major game companies get interested.

Mark

I think you'll need to play OFP running on a treadmill and at least get electric shock treatment when injured in order to semi-mimic real life battle stress.

Shouldn't this be in off-topic? rock.gif

Really. What if you suffer from depression or something? A hand grenade could go off next to you, ( in real life) and you may just slowly turn your head, with little biological response. biggrin_o.gif Would be usefull in a real military simulation I suppose (FOR the military) if it was fully interactive, ie, you run to make your computerised self run, etc. But, in that case, I don't see how that could be as, let alone more, effective than actually training in the field. smile_o.gif

(I bet online relationships will have a use for this kind of tech. smile_o.gif )

Please check where you're posting smile_o.gif

Moving to OT.

Sry, for wrong section posting. smile_o.gif  

Avon, supposedly, this thing picks up pretty small reactions. Slight increases and such, that's what I find so fascinating.   You don't have to be outta breath to get it to register, in other words   wink_o.gif

Anyway, Baron, from what I read from somewhere when I initally heard about this game was it calibrates to each individual.  It takes about a minute to get your regular responses, then goes from there.  Though, I'm sure depressed people probably would perform better on a battlefield smile_o.gif  I dunno, I just see so many possibilities available.  Maybe not right now, but in a few years.  Plus, the beers make my mind think simple things more complex  wink_o.gif

Mark

I think that her point was that a guy like me can run in Operation Flashpoint for hours without any breathing rate increase, and yet if I were to jog down the road for ten minutes in this cold weather I'd be flat on my back nearly completely unable to breath because of my asthma.

And, from all of my experiences, you don't get "bullet time" when your adrenaline is up. Time may seem to take ages to pass, the way it does when you have to be bored for a long period of time, but it's not like slow motion.