Sign in to follow this  
Tolovaj

SUPERHUMAN AI

Situation: I've killed shilka's crew with silencer. I run to the shilka and mount as commander. Nobody saw me, cause nobody fired at me. In next 2 minutes BMP came over. HOW THE #### DID THEY KNOW I'M IN SHILKA? They hit me with sabot from aprox. 100 m confused.gifconfused.gif??!!!!###&&%$

Programer leader, will you try to fix that? Pliz?

LP Tolovaj

Maybe they know there is something wrong with the ZSU because its crew is not reporting to base as it should? Maybe they asked on radio for identification before shooting?

We have no intention to fix this.

Have to agree with Suma,

What if the BMP crew saw the dead bodies (A Belgian Leopard1 has a periscope that can see 10km far).

the BMP came to investigate why the Shilka had not reported in probably!

i think that the AI are a bit clever some times..have too agree with Tolovaj...how da f**k could they know???

Yes Suma this kind of Question has been posted before.

I think in real life, it's unlikely that someone could take over a tank and not get caught. The Russians are not stupid, they would do checks on the crews, and if they did not respond as expected. They would know somthing is wrong.

And send a big bad BMP to check it out tounge.gif

in certain circumstances, maybe not this one, the AI does seem to have bugs like this.

surely, if the bmp hasn't recieved a check in from the shilka, it'd be more realistic for the troops standing 50m away to investigate rather than sending abmp 400m to have a look.

there have been cases like this with me that have severaly pissed me off, like i shoot a guy in the middle of forest, he dies, i walk for a bit, then a bmp drives at me from 600m away and kills me. its not like they are in radio contact all the time, so that killing one insignificant soldier with your silenced mp5 sets off a chain reaction and acts as a beacon for the entire 7th russian armored division to home in on.

in some cases its understandable, but in others its frustrating and stupid.

i think that it is unrealistic. if u kill someone very very very far away from any tank they still come..for no reason

This is the conversation:

BMP Crew: "99987(*&^%#(&^)w(#*&%983260956092W35)(^#%()w^9365963905263587693(*w#&%*^#(*%^)(#*%^()#^%( rUSSIAN asking for base location and squad name"

US soldier in Shilka: US Eagle Base, Just killed the RU Crew and Heading Home.

BMP: (*$&%)^$)%(@#%^)#(*%(Fire in Russian)

YOU ARE DEAD.

Btw, you sure the persiscope can see 10KM??? I think it is too much!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Martin on 2:51 am on Dec. 9, 2001

i think that it is unrealistic. if u kill someone very very very far away from any tank they still come..for no reason

<span id='postcolor'>

You are such an idiot. Did you ever hear of a radio?

Oh and "if your comrades are in trouble, help them!".

Similar scenario with a mission I made.

I was attacking a base in my Cobra, Had a hind sitting about 6Km away with no WP's (flying).

Next thing I know is that I'm in a parachute ordering my gunner to eject.

I only noticed this with v1.29 and all I can say is...

DON'T CHANGE IT BECAUSE IT f**kING ROCK'S

What me really angers is that the AI _instantly_ knows whether someone boards a vehicle or not, and whether this is someone friendly or not.

Examples:

Empty M1A1 and lots of BMP's, 300 - 400m away.

Climb into it, and 3 seconds later you are killed by every BMP simultanously :(

How do they know someone manned that vehicle, determine it is someone unfriendly, target and hit in that short time, from that range?

As infantry you can walk circles round the tank and they won't notice you.

I noticed that too. Little problem but nothing that completly screws the game over.

i didn't notice that. in that mission where you have the sneak into a base and blow up three tanks (or four, if you're good) i set the charges, snuck into the nearby mi 17, and nothing happened until i turned the engines on, even then all that happened was some troops ran to see what was happened, then died when the tanks went up in smoke and i fired rockets in their general direction.

Yeah BIS can pound sand if they think we are going to accept that excuse for EVERY situation. They simply aren't going to fix it because they can't.

In the situation above, I would most likely agree with SUMA although it is weak..I can see it. But we have all experienced the weird psychic powers of the AI and its ability to KNOW when a vehicle is occupied and or taken over.

Take for example an enemy URAL. Say you find one parked by a house as a resitance outfit and comandeer it. You can drive all you want but as SOON as an enemy unit sees you whether it is an enemy soldier or enemy vehicle it fires at you.  How in the heck do they know you have stolen a truck?

And secondly BIS, you say the BMP called the Shilka on the radio and attacked it because it didn't answer? God help the poor S.O.B. whose radio breaks down or doesn't answer right away. And why not make the radio comms active so you could try to deceive the enemy?

Bottom line is as I said, BIS can't fix and wont fix. I mean for Christ's sake, they can't even add a sound effect when you run through a bush on foot! And the speed of sound for LMGs doesnt work at all like other sounds effects at distance do. Here we are in ver 1.30 and it still isnt fixed. And why do soldiers fire three round bursts at you when you are hundreds of meters away? Who would do that? Can't they have single fire mode SOME OF THE TIME?

And while Im at it, the AI in all of its glory, is not lifelike at all. Ever watch them just before you attack? They will all stand facing around in the same position for hours. Why not an animation of smoking a cigarette? Taking a leak? Stretching? Shaking hands? Eating?

Okay, now i'm off my rocker but Im still spot on with some of the lameness and heck, I still like this game alot. Got like six friends to buy it.

(Edited by TeAcH at 2:04 pm on Dec. 9, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from OldShureHand on 2:08 pm on Dec. 9, 2001

What me really angers is that the AI _instantly_ knows whether someone boards a vehicle or not, and whether this is someone friendly or not.

<span id='postcolor'>

It goes both ways. Would it be nice in the Escape from prison -mission when you steal the Hind and fly home, you would be shot down by your own men?

Let me see.. I am taking a break from digging graves, a hot cup of coffee. Uh.. what´s that?! A Hind coming our way!!

Now what would you do as the Hind gets closer, try to get in touch with them on the radio? Too late, if they were the enemy, you would be dead..

I see your point anyway, should be possible to use radio messages to tell friendly forces that you are one of them.

Hidden

Well, I think this is the issue here. The only way to let friendlies know I'm in the Hind is to radio them. And that's the way the Russians can find it out, too. So we'll just have to assume that there is a feature in the game that uses the radio automatically (and silently wink.gif) to inform friendlies where you are and what vehicle you are driving.

So..... this is not a bug...... er.... it's a feature....

Did they have those little X10 WEB cams back in 1985? I can't seem to remember a day in my life without an X10 pop up window on my screen.

No? Never mind. smile.gif

Remember the mission where you had to destroy the three Shilkas on Kolgujev during the middle of the night? I had snuck into the first base and was hiding in a bush not more than ten meters from a T-72 crew. I shot the crew as well as two soldiers patrolling nearby. Now, across the base is the first Shilka you need to destroy, as well as its crew milling around a fire. Oddly enough, the crew continues to mill around with their weapons on their backs despite their being five dead soldiers in the base. Yeah, right, I suppose the answer is "Um...their helmets are, er, too thick, so they couldn't hear the rather loud dying screams of their comrades. Yeah, that's it! It's not unrealistic, it's a...feature! Also, we have no intention of fixing this."

"What? Those five dead guys over there? Oh, heh, they were always playing dead with those bloody gaping wounds on their foreheads! No reason to worry, ace! We'll be just fine standing around a fire."

So, while the Shilka crew mills around oblivious to the dead nearby, a I can hear a BMP rolling into the base about 1 minute after I killed the T-72 crew. Somehow, the BMP knows the exact bush I'm hiding in, and irritatingly parks itself right next to said bush. Why couldn't the Shilka crew get in their Shilka, and patrol around? I also knew that there were two other soldiers patrolling around in the base that I missed; why weren't they running around, looking for me? Wouldn't that tend to, well, make more sense? Yes, I'm sure that BMPs in 1985 had been equiped with new "Extra-Sensory Perception" antenna. Right.

Over the idling of a BMP engine, as well as sitting IN the BMP, the crew instantly knows there is trouble within the base AND knows to park itself right next to the bush I'm hiding in? Well, I'm sure BIS has "No intention of fixing this'.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the soldiers within the base to wake up after seeing five mysterious dead bodies of their comrades, and THEN a few minutes later they "call in" a BMP?

The AI is sometimes messed up. Try Commandos 2, the AI is so life like and superb. If you kill a soldier and leave it body there, another soldier who sees it will yell alarm and alert the whole base. If you knock a soldier unconscious, another soldier will up to him and wake him up. It is so good! I hope in OF you have the option of punching the soldier, tie him up and hid him instead of just killing with guns.

i wish the AI was like metal gear solid 2 (i love the game so much), its super realistic. you shoot a guy, and a guard hears, you chase after him, he gets away and loses you. its qiet for a while, then like 5 guys come chasing for you and the two front guy have bullet proof sheilds :biggrin: you shoot a guy, run into a locker room, the guard who 'actually' saw you chases, and opens the lockers one by one, realistically - try it again he'll just go and get mates and do the same thing - so the AI of each individual changes smile.gif my god, thats gonna be the best game ever biggrin.gif its the reason i bought a ps2, really

if i could have anything from mgs2 to go into opf though it'd be the spetsnatz soldiers, they look so beautiful (not in a gay way)

The AI in Ofp is quite good because in one og mu custom made mission i was assulting a base and soon as i fired the shot the Ai began looking for me they lanunced helicopter and sent out tanks and troops I had to run for my life persude my 20 troops thorugh a forest.

Well Hamster, one might argue that what you saw was a trigger and not AI acting on its own. When AI is left to itself, sometimes it really stinks. Heres a recap:

1) Soldiers stand around when combat occurred nearby and they certainly would have heard the shots

2) AI has psychic powers - they know when a vehicle is stolen no matter what

3) AI fires three round bursts repeatedly at targets hundreds of meters away

4) AI needs more likelike actions rather than standing around like a statue

the list goes on yet I grow weary...and I still like this game. I just want to see it improve thats all.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from TeAcH on 9:24 pm on Dec. 9, 2001

Well Hamster, one might argue that what you saw was a trigger and not AI acting on its own. When AI is left to itself, sometimes it really stinks. Heres a recap:

1) Soldiers stand around when combat occurred nearby and they certainly would have heard the shots

2) AI has psychic powers - they know when a vehicle is stolen no matter what

3) AI fires three round bursts repeatedly at targets hundreds of meters away

4) AI needs more likelike actions rather than standing around like a statue

the list goes on yet I grow weary...and I still like this game. I just want to see it improve thats all.<span id='postcolor'>

It was a trigger as i made it but the way the did it was d*amn cool to see.

I was thinking about AI.

He detect u too quickley when you're in the vehicle. In Red Down mission i steal an empty hind. The first tank i was planning to destroy is Shilka near the cost. Shilka detect me first. Shilka fired at me. Shilka fired at me in the HIND. How the #### did the Shilka know that i'm the enemy.  

In multiplayer, it is realistic: If enemy steals your vehicle it's green on your radar. If u steal enemy vehicle your ally will see you red on his radar and if you won't tell him that you're in enemy vehicle he'll fire at you. I'm talking about real people here. AI in OFP should be the same. He shouldn't fire a shot until u destroy one of their vehicles in their vehicle. Or, he would ask you something through the radio, and i u wouldn't respond he would take u down. I can just imagine, that someone nothest me and i didn't respond.

Also. i don't know, but when someone dies it sounds really cold. Dem, 3 is down. Well. Like robots. Why are they called in numbers. Why don't say. Dem. We loose Jack or something. M113 or BMP ambulance should came when a soldier gets injured. OK, OK. I'm dreaming.

I still like the game, and the AI too. The only problems are that he can see the future and he's too cold.

Don't have the problem with the BMP. In mission where u have to destroy three shilkas, he came when alarm start screaming. That was when i destroy Shilka. I killed all soldiers in the base before that.

(Edited by SpaceAlex at 11:54 pm on Dec. 9, 2001)