Sign in to follow this  
General Mcclintock

Moderators, finally you meet understandment.

It is off the game topic but I thought about scaring a few of the members that wanted to be mods.

I was one of those cheering for it once.

But not anymore, at www.ausfx.com I got enrolled in the ranks as a Global Moderator, and allready a few days after entering active service it hit paydirt.

2 people fired up a flame war, and as a member I had the liberty to just walk away and don't care, but as a moderator, any flame war IS my responsibillity!

I can't just walk away and ignore it, I had to do something, I knew those 2 people whow was flaming, a 16 year old and 20 year old.

One was a local moderator tied to one board, the other one was at the same rank as me.

Both lived close to the board admin and knew him pretty well.

So they both claimed that the admin would not ban them and called my warning a meaninless threat, I warned them to stop the flame war right now or I would talk to the admin about a ban.

The 16 year old opened a new thread that was moved to a part of the forum where there existed no rules, where flaming is allowed you can say, it is called the Rants section.

The thread they first fired up in I had to lock due to other members being drawn in, that made me pretty unpopular amongst some people except those I had been talking and somewhat "knew" for a long time.

That thread ended by somebody deleting it.

The aftermath resulted in me talking to the admin about an appropiate action.

The 16 year old fellow got his post count set to 0 and the 20 year old was ignored.

The 16 year person complained and got his count back and the 20 year old was then demoted from moderator but still the 16 year old wasn't happy before he got a complete ban.

Then the admin contacted the rest of the mod crew, including me, which I then had a problem deciding what to do, because both had been contacting me over MSN and trying to force me on their side, I knew them both pretty well so it was hard.

I contacted a friend from another site where we both are admin's and asked for advice, he gave me a perfect solution that was neutral and I decided to go for it.

I am still awaiting this case's closure since it started earlier this week.

I decided to post this to tell the moderators that I completly understand your problems and that it is sometimes good to hear this, also to give the members a small look behind the scenes on how it is to be in charge and make the decisions.

If I don't like it, why do I still do it? Well I owe the site something back, thats why I am doing the dirty job, also I am good friends with some up in the mod crew so I got support, that is crucial!

Thank you for reading, and to the mods of this forum: "Good luck, I have been reading for a while and you are doing a good job"

Could you copy and paste the entire argument between the two of them here for reference?

tounge_o.gif

edit: can someone make a sign that says "PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE MODERATORS"? biggrin_o.gif

I don't think I will, but you can go the site and read the only part left of it... I lost the start of the war, it was removed by someone I don't know.

edit: can someone make a sign that says "PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE MODERATORS"? biggrin_o.gif

dontfeed.gif

quick 1 minute job, but you get the idea biggrin_o.gif

50+46+18=114

Maximum height allowed for images in signatures is 100pixels, please fix smile_o.gif

I'm a mod myself over at Internz.de and know how hard it can be, But most of our problems come from members which have problems with their clan-accounts, and not from the forums. smile_o.gif

moderators are a heavy duty job every where, not to mention about those completely off-topic forums which have a 10000 hits everyday (talking about some anime forums in china), some of them are usually controled by tough forum rules and self discipline, moderators are having the same rules, ban (IP, ID and so on) is waiting for spammer/flame war etc., these make a good mixture of off-topic talks/chats and spam free cause everyone there knows when is enought,

smile_o.gif

on the other hand, those off-limit forums are really spammer wonderland, and those moderators and "vip" are even more off-limit which they can do whatever they want, not thing can be done by those self discipline moderators, in a result, of cause, the quality of those forums are really bad sad_o.gif

i personalily refuse to take moderators job due the lack of time and lack of interest (thanks to those off-limit forums  crazy_o.gif ), but one thing is sure:you have seen not thing yet............... blues.gif

dontfeed.gif

quick 1 minute job, but you get the idea  biggrin_o.gif

But I'm hungry...all the time...and I want pic-a-nic baskets! wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

would you mind giving me a link to that anime forum?  wink_o.gif

NO! biggrin_o.gif

cause i am using the same net name nearly everywhere and everyone can have a easy guess  ghostface.gif

*edit*this is my personal safety you know, and even i using a different name on those spammer wonderland, i wont tell you cause i wont introduce a flash target to those off limit man eating bastards crazy_o.gif