Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

I move to urge Codemasters and BIS to add the Barret 50 cal

as most of us know from being the game junkies we are, the Barrett model 82A1 50 caliber sniper rifle is a good choice for long range afairs. I think its place in OFP would be perfectly acceptable as an alternative to the m21, and in a pinch, it might even be effective on APCs. it would even be historicly accurate to the game, seeing as how the inception of the M82A1 occured in 1982 (the game takes place in '85). So, i hereby put out a call to OFP snipers everywhere, and state that i think the M82A1 is worthy of being in the game, and should be put in. Whos with me?

It's really bad for long ranges to be honest...It's an anti material rifle.

hmmmm,..........well maybe something else would be good, but i'd really like to move for some type of sniper addon. i thought it might be cool to give the resistance a sniper unit. it would be a good oppertunity to introduce a silenced sniper rifle as a sort of resistance-black op weapon.

Actually the .50 cal wouldnt be that bad for Spec Ops teams. When Richard Marcinko ran SEAL Team 6 his snipers used the 50 calibers to pick off guys on an Oil Rig. He said the snipers where so far away the bad guys dropped before you could hear the gunshots.

Hey, why not add an rail gun plasma thing wich fires rice?

The Barret M82A1/A2 entered the US army in 1991

and it's ment for clearing mines untill it got popular with special forces.

Please cut this Barret crap.

The MacMillan 50. sniper rifle is far more effective then the M82

Yea, the Barret light 50 suxx0rz

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from erfworm on 8:27 am on Dec. 15, 2001

<Snip>

He said the snipers where so far away the bad guys dropped before you could hear the gunshots.

<span id='postcolor'>

The bullet will get there before the sonic crack regardless of distance, because the bullet is supersonic.

The only time when that is not the case is with suppressed weapons, such as the MP5. In order for the sound signature to be suppressed effectively, the bullet must be subsonic, or transsonic. As quiet as a suppressed SMG is, it can be heard before the bullet gets to the target.

There is a barrett .50 sniper rifle mod some where but i can't rember where i downloaded it from

look, all i'm saying is that it'd be nice to have some variety in the sniping feild, and it might be a good idea to make that happen for the resistance, seeing as how they lack a snipe and i special op soldier.

....and then nobody would ever bother using the M21 again

There is already a perfectly good sniper rifle in the game.

For what it's worth, Virtual Battlefield Systems has pics of Aussie troops with an AW50:

vbs_aus_aw50_1.jpg

So, to externally model a Barret to match the behavior of the AW50 should be relatively simple for BIS to do.

I miss the Barret I had so much fun with in DF2! Killing someone 1700 meters out just made me giggle. Of course, that wasn't reciprocal when I was on the receiving end.

we really need a real sniper rifle, M21 is just too weak, bolt action rifles will be fun, add a M40. light fifty's fun too play with too, sniping someone 1 mile away is fun

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from GFX707 on 11:46 pm on Dec. 15, 2001

....and then nobody would ever bother using the M21 again

There is already a perfectly good sniper rifle in the game.

<span id='postcolor'>

If the extra weight slowed them down, and if they got only three magazines with 10 rounds each, they might -- after all, that's the actual capacity of the Barrett box magazines.

And given that a properly placed .308 will do the job as well as a .50, and is more accurate to boot, why bother with the Barrett? I'm not saying don't put it into the game, only that I would rarely -- if ever -- use it.

pfff, well there are a lot more important things that could (and should) be put into the game

such as some decent fortifications, decent sandbag walls and bunkers for both infantry and tanks/AA guns, radar stations and other types of military buildings. Also some decent small to medium sized boats, and artillery (although the LGB A10 is good enough for me, if they fix it or tell us how to use it accurately) so I don't see why they should be adding a Barret before any of these other things.

In my opinion it's as stupid as the 'give us a Huey' fiasco simply because it adds nothing new to the game and would just mean that the US has 2 sniper rifles instead of one, and more significantly one more than the Soviets have, just as they seem to have more of everything than the Soviets have. So if there is something like this to be added then I suggest that the first thing to be added would be given to the Soviets rather than to the US troops.

As to your comment about slowing the soldier carrying it down, either BIS can't implement this or they won't, since machine gunners and AT soldiers are still just as agile as normal soldiers, it seems.

(Edited by GFX707 at 2:01 am on Dec. 16, 2001)

If they ever do add a second sniper rifle, I say make it a HK PSG-1 SD for Black-ops.

(Edited by Hawkeye at 2:02 am on Dec. 16, 2001)

or to the resistance. the AW50 would be a fine choice as the Avon Lady pointed out. and a 7.62mm NATO round is only more accurate depending on the rifle. The M-21 is based on the M-14 rifle which was developed to replace the Browning Automatic Rifle, and the M-1 Garand. both of those weapons werent meant for accuracy, although they got the job done perfectly well. I think this si a good oppertunity to add a sniper rifle that was actually meant to be a sniper rifle.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from GFX707 on 4:12 am on Dec. 16, 2001

I say make it a POTATO

on a big old motherf**kin STICK<span id='postcolor'>

Game balance dude...

If we give them a potato on a stick, then the enemy would need a gelatinous spatula, which would screw up the timeline, and everyone would just use potatoes and spatulas, and the spatula's HUGE blast radius would make infantry useless, while the Potato's concentrated beam rips tanks apart. They both take down choppers and planes, so it would ruin all the games fun.

WORST IDEA EVER!!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Hawkeye on 3:01 am on Dec. 16, 2001

If they ever do add a second sniper rifle, I say make it a HK PSG-1 SD for Black-ops.

(Edited by Hawkeye at 2:02 am on Dec. 16, 2001)

<span id='postcolor'>

Note: not everybody can get a PSG-1 because it costs over 10.000$ price of 3 M82's

And US blackops or whatever they are don't use the PSG-1 since its too expensive(maybe elite ones).

While the silencer on the PSG-1 screws up the accuracy on the weapon.

its not like we couldnt give the resistance their own sniper unit while giving both the reds and the US a new sniper rifle a peice. their are rusian sniper rifles that could take cae of both of those situations. I'd be happy with so much as an M-40. my weapon of choice from delta force land warrior. I want my M-40!!! Give Me My M-40!!!!!!!

Resistance to me implies a loosely organized group made up of local civilians. In most countries, they would not have access to military weapons, at least initially (until they get foreign support or conduct raids).

So they'd probably be equipped with hunting rifles -- remember the Kozlicze? I don't think they would need a dedicated sniper rifle, since most scoped bolt-action hunting rifles will serve that need quite nicely.