Sign in to follow this  
dpvu

Ofp crashing network connection

Whenever I play OFP 1.92, sometimes I get the red square. I wait for like 30 seconds, and I quit out. However, when I go to use internet, I find that my whole network connection to this PC is down. I have to reboot my PC to get it back. All the cables are in tight, and everything. I never got in in 1.91 I seem to be getting it all the time now. Losing connection and the network connection down. It only happens in OFP which leads my to believe it is not a network problem, but an OFP problem.

Though lack of response may lead you to believe as such, you and I are not the only ones with this issue.  If you have some time, do a forum search for "losing connection" under OFP/Troubleshooting and you'll see a similarly described problem... but typically one step removed from a full disconnection from the Internet.

In short, I definitlely have issues with getting dropped from servers (but usually not from the Internet) when playing from 2 PC's on my LAN to the WAN (I'm behind a LinkSys BEFSR41 ver2 router and a Motorola SB4100 Surfboard cable/DSL modem using a Comcast cable connection).  Infrequently though, I experience exactly what you describe (even with using only 1 PC to a WAN server).  Can you comment on your hardware?  I've heard one possible fix may be to upgrade to the newer DOCSIS 2.0 modems and/or perhaps you can try better management of your addons (perhaps using Certa's OFP Watch & autoaddon management, obtainable from-http://www.binarybone.com/ofpwatch/.   I haven't gotten around to addon managing yet myself, but I plan to do this today.  (BTW, I've experienced this lost of Internet connection with vers. 1.92, 1.93, & 1.94.)

Maybe we'll get this handled by the time OFP2 is released? smile_o.gif

Check to see if you are infected with the Blaster Worm. The symtoms you described are exactly what blaster does. I doubt of OFP causes this.

Download stinger to check your system for Blaster and a bunch of other 'popular' virii.

Toadlife, thanks for the suggestion. I just got done running a full scan with Stinger... but there's no Trojans. I'll run some other detection software just in case, but perhaps it's back to the drawing board? (I did raise OFP CPU priority, but still haven't "managed" my addons, yet.)

If stinger didn't find anything then I serioulyt doubt if your infected with anything -just that so many people are still infected with Blaster and Nachi.

@dpvu - what is your operating system?

Hmmm, I took off some time from the forums to get divorced... now I can play OFP guilt-free!

Uhhhh, I credit this "trick" to Agent... if you get a yellow or red square, alt-tab out to desktop, open up "Network Connections" (or the like), right click "Local Area connection" & select "Repair"... that may either restore your OFP connection or at least prevent you from getting dropped from the Internet...