Sign in to follow this  
Tamme

Electronic paper

Quote[/b] ]New E-Paper Could Show Moving Images Too

Wed September 24, 2003 01:02 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Even before the electronic ink has dried on the e-page, a new generation of electronic paper may soon be able to bring a moving image to a foldable screen near you, according to scientists in the Netherlands.

Hot on the heels of the invention of a wafer-thin foldable screen that can display static type and may one day replace newspapers as it can be overwritten each day, scientists at Philips Research in Eindhoven have found a way to display high-definition moving pictures as well.

Using a process called electrowetting, the scientists claim to be able to manipulate colored oils in the pixels on the page with such speed and accuracy as to be able to generate clear and accurate video displays.

"The reflectivity and contrast of our system approach those of paper," they wrote in the science journal Nature. "In addition, we demonstrate a color concept which is intrinsically four times brighter than reflective liquid-crystal displays and twice as bright as other emerging technologies."

Not only does e-paper work on very low voltages, but its light weight and great flexibility give it a multitude of potential applications from computer screens to wearable cinematic suits.

With an e-paper screen sewn into a jacket, wearers could read e-mail or even watch the news on their sleeves while hot-footing it from one meeting to another.

More info

Interesting. What do you think? Think of a PC magazine with moving pictures. What happens to TV? Or is this another "This is the future" disappointment like virtual reality in the early 90s?

It's something I've been looking forward to a very very long time. I really need something to keep handwritten notes and I'm terrible at organizing my papers.

Right now I use a special pen that I can hook up to either my pc or ipaq and digitize my notes through that. It works very well, but it's one direction only. And for comfortable reading the ipaq screen and resolution are way too small.

So I'm certainly getting one of these as soon as they hit the market smile_o.gif

This is great since it should be able to acheive 100Hz+ refresh rates as well.

Currently most if not all screens lack the contrast and "readability" normal paper has. After staring at the screen for a longer time my eyes start to hurt.

If that new technology actually is as eye friendly as paper is I guess I'm going to buy it sooner or later, as a replacement of my usual paper-mess.

The funny thing is I think this technology is much cheaper than a CRT monitor, but we shall see. Would it not be sweet if we could get one of these papers in a large format instead of a monitor, then use the room lighting to see everything. Man, and maybe for less than a large CRT. biggrin_o.gif Dreams.

Quote[/b] ]With an e-paper screen sewn into a jacket, wearers could read e-mail or even watch the news on their sleeves while hot-footing it from one meeting to another.

uh oh...cheatiing in college will be easier....

Quote[/b] ]With an e-paper screen sewn into a jacket, wearers could read e-mail or even watch the news on their sleeves while hot-footing it from one meeting to another.

uh oh...cheatiing in college will be easier....

that's not like a big deal anyway, just hire better teachers tounge_o.gif

anyway looking forward to this...

Whee I am proud to be a Hollander tounge_o.gif

LOL I'm even more proud to work for Philips Eindhoven wink_o.gif