Sign in to follow this  
ruff

A10 capabilities

@ Sep. 23 2003,05:46)]
Quote[/b] ]But to me, form should equal function,

I agree with this - but - a "tool" such as a (fighter- )plane must be functional. If it's plain ugly so be it (relative of course) .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Tornado have many of the same purposes - and that's a handsome beast compared to the A10.

I you can't pilot the A-10 in OFP, I'd hate to see you being shot at by SAMs and AAA in my other favourite game, Falcon 4. smile_o.gif  Theres a challenge for ya, right after you realise that flying in OFP is a piece of piss compared to learning to survive and destroy targets in falcon 4.

I'm not into fighter simulators really! I bought Il Sturmovik and became pretty frustrated due to endless crashes when trying to bomb ground targets. So, I ended up playing fighter missions smile_o.gif

,Sep. 23 2003,05:46]
Quote[/b] ]But to me, form should equal function,

I agree with this - but - a "tool" such as a (fighter- )plane must be functional. If it's plain ugly so be it (relative of course) .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Tornado have many of the same purposes - and that's a handsome beast compared to the A10.

Ahem- beauty is in the eye of the beerholder wink_o.gif

Tornado IDS is a strike aircraft. Its roles include or once included: nuclerar strike (non A-10 mission), interdiction (A-10), close support (A-10) SEAD (A-10), anit-radar (non A-10) anti shipping (non A-10) and ECR.

Then theres the Air Defence Variant, which covers things an A-10 would never do.

A-10 and Tornado are completely different aircraft. A-10's can loiter above the battle field for a couple of hours. Tornadoes can't without a refuel.

and

the tornado was designed with multiple roles in mind. The A-10 is a pure attack aircraft and theres no other fixed wing aircraft in western inverntories that fufil that sole mission like the A-10 does.

Quote[/b] ]Ahem- beauty is in the eye of the beerholder

Hehe..that is indeed a fact!

Quote[/b] ]the tornado was designed with multiple roles in mind. The A-10 is a pure attack aircraft and theres no other fixed wing aircraft in western inverntories that fufil that sole mission like the A-10 does.

Well, who am I to know! Good post, but I'm not an expert.

Anyway, does the A10 come with fancy paint...er...like pink or something tounge_o.gif

Well, who am I to know! Good post, but I'm not an expert.

Anyway, does the A10 come with fancy paint...er...like pink or something  tounge_o.gif

He he, it doesn't matter, I just love my aircraft.

I belive these pics speak for themselves as to why the A-10 is a very respected aircraft. It brought this guy home.

181-06.jpg

and I think only an A-10 could survive hits on this area of the fuselage

01.jpg

He he, it doesn't matter, I just love my aircraft.

I belive these pics speak for themselves as to why the A-10 is a very respected aircraft. It brought this guy home.

http://www.pats-world.com/gulfwar/abdr-A10/0181/181-06.jpg

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Stories....g

My god~ those pilots would have love A10 more!!!! wow_o.gif

p.s.brgnorway if A-10 really use a pink or other fancy paint they would just look ugly for anyone smile_o.gif

Could not find a better picture  ( I know I've seen a much better one before) but:

rafaq_su25damage.jpg

This shows pre-production model Su-25 T-8-15 (Blue-15) which underwent battle-testing in the war in Afghanistan, after being hit by two Aim-9L Sidewinders fired by a Pakistani F-16. The plane was brought back home by it's pilot, Colonel Alexander V. Rutskoi, who had also previously survived AAA hits in it. Both times the plane was refurbished and brought back to active service. It is now on display at Khodinka (It was re-designed as Blue 301 after Afghanistan, when it was used as a weapons  testing platform):

K_Su-25_3.jpg

Some other instances of Su-25's sustaining battle damage:

-Major Rubalov's Su-25 was hit in the engine which surged and flooded an engine bay with fuel, the cockpit was shattered, buster controls are gone and major's face covered with blood. None of the dials in the cockpit worked and his wingman guided him to the final approach. After belly landing, major rushed away from the Su-25 fearing that plane going to explode. After figuring that this is not going to happen, he got back to the aircraft and cut the engine.

-Another Su-25 was on fire which burned out most of the wiring and 95% of horizontal tail controls. In few moments before the landing, fire short cut the gear release wires and Su-25 made "conventional" landing.

-Lieutenant Golubtsov's Su-25 lost half of its rudder along with breaks. After landing his a/c ended up off runaway and rolled into adjacent mine field. He was forced to wait in the cockpit till mine squad cleared his way out.

-One Su-25 brought a missile in the engine which failed to detonate. (SAM?)

-Rutskoi's Su-25 was hit by AAA (ZGU) when a missile (Blowpipe) hit right engine (head on - it "turned off" the engine though the intake). Second AAA finally managed to shot it down. This is a second Frogfoot he flew (not the preproduction T-8-15 Blue 15 which was damaged twice). Rutskoi spent some time as Pakistani POW and was shortly exchanged.

The Su-25 can also run on diesel fuel if needed, and has a storage compartment with tools for groundcrew. It can also go supersonic once it's ordenace has been expended smile_o.gif.