Sign in to follow this  
jtec

Road tutorial

I am creating a island at the mo and i am in dire need of either a answer to my problem or a small tutorial. The problem is crossroads, i can lay the roads and go round corners ect but when it comes to T junctions or crossroads it messes up, it seems to lay 1 t junction ok but, then i go further up the road and then try and lay another junction and the thing dont line it up right. Really would appreciate dome help as ive been sitting here scratching my head for days. sad_o.gif

I had similar issue, came to the conclusion that id just have to take a trial and error appproach...

Eventually you will get one your satisfied with. But maybe there is a better way!

I think they have to be started off as key items, which means one per section of road only sad_o.gif . I tried adding them as 'specials' (crossroads and Tees)through the'modify key' but they only work when a section is started with one, adding one through the 'modify key' lays the part but the texture does'nt show up and it can't be edited...

I really think it's only 1 key item per road 'section'. You'll just have to make individual sections and try and 'patch/lay' them together without overlapping the textures sad_o.gif ...

If I find anything out I'll be sure to let you know what gives...

Found out how to do it now. Your right about the road being one piece of road. All it is when you want to add a junction you just highligh your road and right click you will now come up with a screen asking either to modify dir A or Gen terminator click the terminator then click yes and then choose crossroads (make sure you have both Kr_silnice_silnice_t (T junction) and Kr_silnicexsilnice (crossroads) in the crossroad section in the road part. Now choose which one ya want and you will come to another sceen which shows a diagram of the road you have chosen. The letters are the parts where the road you just made can go so say you have a T with the bottom of T being B, the left point being A and the right point being C, if you was to choose to link ya road (which is traveling north) to B you will have a T junction with you either being able to travel left or right, but if you choose A the T junction will only have you traveling up the road still or right. You then click next then next again and you will notice that now the junction is laid and you just highlight the junction and just pull your road in the direction you want wink_o.gif If i had some webspace i would have put pics up for ya as its hard to explain in words but i hope this helps. wink_o.gif

That's what I meant by 'modify key'! biggrin_o.gif , cept I could lay the part in menu but the texture/image never shows up in buldozer, and I could'nt add road to the offspur/s (Tee's or crossroads, neither work for me)...

Try laying them down and saving, then quit out and re-load the entire programs (visitor and buldozer) as sometimes it does go a bit weird and hide the textures, also make sure you have the "automatcally align to surface" box ticked in your crossroad tab too. Also to look out for how you lay your roads, as visitor only lays T junctions and crossroads when they are set at certain angles, (i had to straighten a few roads before it would let me lay em) Good luck on them anyway and if anyone else needs help i hopefully may have some answers on it. biggrin_o.gif

So you've actualy gotten it to work? so you can edit two crossroads connected to one peice of road? +--------+ like such? Can you add more (and still add road to all the crossroads) +-----+--------+

I noticed that when entering a Xroad into the roads tool you have to define what each road coming off of the X will be, does that mean you can have a dirttrack or (aspthingy) crossing a silnice/main road do you think?(but there are no textures for them that I can find!?) or three silnices and one dirt   road?. Lots of experimenting left to do eh? smile_o.gif ...

Maybe we could make up some custom junctions in PS~pro?...

Yeah i can do this -----+-----+----- with roads going off north and south too. when ya lay the road and you want the crossroad right click the road (you should see a 4 way arrow) and choose the terminator then crossroads.  I will send you the pictures. The thing about the dirtrack going over the normal road ya cant do tho (unless you overlapped the roads which would look rough) but you can have a dirttrack comming off from one of the roads

As for the roads, im wanting to retexture BIS roads and make a bridge, but want to know if its possible to use BIS roads p3d just for the surface and not the textures as im not too sure about them at the mo.  I will look around these forums to hopefully find the info  biggrin_o.gif

I'm sure they could be opened up in texture veiwer then tarted up with the texture of your choice (then added as another option). Kegety did it with tree's in winter Kolguchev. I personlay want some black tarmac roads, (like the Everon runway if I remember it rightly!) with white lines down the middle...

Download TexVeiw_11 from BIS's site or OFPEC(can't remember which) and have a play with it. Look in data.pbo for the texture sets...

I'm sure we could make some custom Xroads as the ability to choose each road that leads off of it is there...

I will have a look and see what i find out biggrin_o.gif

I see!, I assumed that 'terminator' was an end as in konec only!...

You can have other roads crossing at a Xroad, the texture is only the silniceXsilnice though, but the roads that 'sprout' off either side can be what you want. Just assign another Xroad in the 'Road' tool and assign 'A & B' to 'asfaltka' then C & D to 'silnice'. If we could retexture a silnicXsilnice it'd so it looked right it'd help with autolaying the roads...

We could make it look like a 'double sided' Tee road, even use the Tee road textures...

Thats what i assumed at first and then tried it out and there we had it smile_o.gif The problem we are faced with is that the road textures are all in pac format and i aint got a clue how to change BIS textures to your own. Ive got a few links that are on topic of what we want to do tho Road LOD

Im totally brain dead at the mo on the subject but i do wanna get some decent road textures sorted for some Personal Island i am making.

Have you got a digi camera? Any bridges near you that look down onto roads? biggrin_o.gif ...

I'll have a look~see if I can sus it out, cause I'm interested in some retexturing myself. I'm sure there'll be a tool at OFPEC somewhere!...

UnPBO the data folder, in there are road textures in paa format. If you open them up in BIS's 'TexVeiw' then choose 'save as', and type in 'whatevername.TGA' it will save it as a TGA file which you can 'play with' in paint-shop-pro or the like...

I'm not sure if you can just swapout the textures(mipmaps included) or whether you need to open it up in Oxygen as a model and do it 'that way'. Time to experiment I 'spose!..

I'll have to start playing around with models in O2 and see what all the fuss is about biggrin_o.gif ...

*EDIT* Might be useful? On the right track?...