Sign in to follow this  
TwIce

OFP vs GHOST RECON

Okay, I'm probably going to regret this, but if anyone fancies a spirited (and hopefully constructive) debate over the holidays, here is a (slightly tongue-in-cheek) message I posted on the SimHQ GHOST RECON board.

Dont get me wrong, please: I love OFP and at its best I'm dazzled by it.  I just cannot make up my mind whether or not to try GR.  All (constructive) opinions welcomed:

The battle in my head between OFP and GR goes something like this:

1. Every time I get hung up in OFP, i.e. when a mission trigger does not work or the APPALLING scoring system (which, luckily, doesn't count for much in the end) snatches defeat from the jaws of a very well-fought victory, I say to myself, "I'm going to get GR today." It will hopefully enable me to be Mapping Tool"l, whereas tactics in OFP, decent though the Command options are, are essentially about survival and gaining ground, inch by inch. That's not bad, in fact it's rendered beautifully, it's just not Mapping Tool"l.  And in GR I won't get penalised for not killing a larger number of oblivious enemy soldiers while on a scouting mission, grrrr.

2. Then I read about GR's defects, such as lobotomized friendly AI and the need to hold your buddies' hands if you want them actually to accomplish anything.

3. Next, I finish the aggravating OFP Campaign mission I'm stuck on (I HATE the GUARDIAN convoy mission) and stumble into something insanely great, like the RETURN TO EDEN mission, which is about the best, most immersive simulation of a small-unit infantry action conceivable to a layman like myself and knocks my socks off every time I play it.

4. Restart process.

So I'm still undecided about GR.

(Edited by TwIce at 8:24 pm on Dec. 21, 2001)

I like OFP better becuase it soo wide ranges of stuff.You could fly ,ride tanks ,and light armours!

you could use bazzokas! and theres no invisable wall on the maps.

On GR you can't see you're own gun you can't control tanks.Even htought the graphices are good I don't like the gameplay and GR dosen't have alot of "options""features" like OFP.

Move this to the off topic forum please. We're only interested in OFP here, not Ghost Recon or whatever.

Uh, you don't think this is about OFP? Are you a moderator?

Same engine as GTA3(i think),

It's something like CS, but with cars.

And all the models are made in 3ds, it would be easy to make mods then(like changing a old car into a BMW or something)

It doesn't use the GTA3 engine. Mafia was in production before the GTA3 engine was completed.

ghost recon, imho, sucks ass because:

a) visually its much harder to see whats going on

b) squad management is a huge inconvienience (to be fair it is in opf too :biggrin:)

c) you CANNOT aim precisly sometimes, zoom it, if your target is to the the left of you reticle tap left and it will be on the right of the reticle - major, major problem, ruined the whole game for me.

d) very hard to see enemy, they are well camoflagued. Often you're squad will be firing into bushes and undergrowth while you're wondering what the f**k is going on.

e)team members die easily, as in they are dumb and wander in front of bunkers stupidly

f) No vehicles to drive

e) no visible damage AT ALL on vehicles, you can't tell if your law had any effect because nothing happens when it 'hits'

g) it isn't fun

h) graphics are good, but dodgy (see d)

i could think of more but can't be arsed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Thehamster on 1:07 am on Dec. 22, 2001

The game also runs crap on high end systems.<span id='postcolor'>

No it doesn't. It runs great. But the reqs are steep, and the recommended is even steeper.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from OBiJuan on 11:11 pm on Dec. 21, 2001

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Thehamster on 1:07 am on Dec. 22, 2001

No it doesn't.  It runs great.  But the reqs are steep, and the recommended is even steeper.<span id='postcolor'>

I have a athon 1.4ghz and 128ddr ram and a geforce 2 64mb 200(I know it ain't the best crad in the world)

I only achie a 30-40fps when I'm lucky at 32bit at some resloutin over thousand and detail set to medium. that ain't good at all as I get excelant fps at ofp and Ma payne

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Thehamster on 1:14 am on Dec. 22, 2001

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from OBiJuan on 11:11 pm on Dec. 21, 2001

No it doesn't.  It runs great.  But the reqs are steep, and the recommended is even steeper.<span id='postcolor'>

I have a athon 1.4ghz and 128ddr ram and a geforce 2 64mb 200(I know it ain't the best crad in the world)

I only achie a 30-40fps when I'm lucky at 32bit at some resloutin over thousand and detail set to medium. that ain't good at all as I get excelant fps at ofp and Ma payne<span id='postcolor'>

exactly the same case with me :biggrin:

i have the same system (bit more ramn and geforce3) and i can't get a better framerate on ghostb recon than i get on opf (max settings)

Compared to RS series, GR user interface especially in multiplay is very bad. (can't even see pings and kicking users can be complicated/impossible in certain situations!)

Single play isn't anything close to OFP's - those AI's actually makes me curse when they stumble in the way of a bullets while im trying to shoot enemy from behind a rock..

Their brightest and only moment is when they seek for cover (but actions before and after that show of intelligence, are level of a zombie)

Though, I like GR's multiplay better than OFPs, even though the bad interface it has.

GR has smaller maps and meanwhile not too small.

(tho, weapon kit system sucks alot in one way and in one way it has one good point.. however limiting modding)

I have GR but I enjoy playing OFP a #### of alot more.

OFP to me is more of a simulation, whilst GR feels like more of a game. The fact that your restricted to small (and yes they ARE small) maps, you have to take the same route, kill the same guys and complete the same objectives in the same way just feels so old compared to OFP's free style gameplay and open environment.

GR feels like an outdoors version of Rogue Spear. There are NEVER any large firefights with long exchanges of fire from one side to the other, unlike OFP which (in one mission i played) had me and a squad hiding in a forest exchanging bullets with an enemy squad across the road who was also hiding in a forest.

GR also has that same linearity that every other Red Storm game has. The fact that you also cannot climb up slight inclines, including boulders is also annoying.

GR does have fancy graphics, but it has been said before that fancy graphics dont cover up gameplay problems.

I also have to point out the most annoying feature in GR. That stupid "enemy indicator" at the bottom of the screen and the way that you ALWAYS report whether you have killed an enemy or not. With the indicator there is no element of surprise in the game at all, and because you always report that you have killed an enemy (even though he isn't even visible on the screen and is behind a bush) you never have the need to change your firing position and use strategy against your opponent.

Like i said, GR is really just another game. Whilst OFP is a simulation of warfare. GR will only last because of it's multiplayer capabilities (which i feel is extremely sad) but OFP will last because of the mission builder and it's awsome single player gameplay.

Drewus, OFP multiplay is better than any GR crap mp.

OFP actually requires coordination and thinking, and with the latest MP patches the multiplay is smooth on fast dedicated servers. I play on 20-player capable server almost daily and have no problems.

I just hate to see people dismiss OFP mp, because it is the best there has ever been!

Ghost recon as terrible gameplay. It is an insult the the Rainbow Six (now Rogue Spear) tradition. It has sufficient content, however the actual game its cs-like-ghey.

It has one thing over Bohemia's product, and that is the upcoming Desert Warfare addon, with all that somalia style combat. Something OFP lacks terribly, cept the unofficial addons around at present (which are dodgy, ie. framerate/clipping coz of poorly hacked islands) OFP needs an official "Desert" addon to compete as a really cool product. The winter stuff is not as important, that is to say, I want a desert official world/map addon (preferably 10x the size of everon) before a winter one.

to be honest i would be more than happy to call ghost recon if they put in a autoaim system like rainbow sixs (reticle goes straight to target. because the worst part for me was the difficulty of long range shooting because of the crap aiming system, and almost impossible close quarters. I'd also like it if you had the options of being just a grunt and not the commander, i hate having a squad (l.ike i do in opf as well - maybe i'm not a born leader).

put them i n and i'll actually give it a second chance (since i uninstalled it after the 20th attempt at the first level)

The autoaiming system practically ruined Rainbow Six if you had it on - it aimed for you and all you did was press the trigger.

GR just plain sucks.... It not even in the same catagory as Op Flash.... as a matter of fact it's in a catagory of it's own(OpFlash that is).... Why must people constantly compare it to any old s**t game that comes along that involves guns.

There is no comparison and the debate, as you say, is for the

Morons who have no clue.

(Edited by Cpt Gamer FtK at 12:50 pm on Dec. 22, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Damage Inc on 12:27 pm on Dec. 22, 2001

The autoaiming system practically ruined Rainbow Six if you had it on - it aimed for you and all you did was press the trigger.

<span id='postcolor'>

but i enjoyed rainbow six a lot more wink.gif

doing the autoaim thing on GR will get rid of, what is to me, the biggest most annoying bug in the game