Sign in to follow this  
Konyak

If BIS could answer one thing

I've wondered about this for some time, as have others, and it came up again in the thread about tanks having smoke screen launchers.

Q: Does OFP AI loose sight of the player or other AI's, if they dump a smoke screen to obscure the enemys vision? I'm talking about after the AI has spotted the other player. Is there any such thing in OFP, that the AI, just can't see the player again, or is he imprinted on the AI's "radar" forever?

I'd love to know, and we can only be sure if the answer comes from you.

Thank you,

Konyak

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Konyak on 4:19 pm on Dec. 26, 2001

I've wondered about this for some time, as have others, and it came up again in the thread about tanks having smoke screen launchers.  

Q:  Does OFP AI loose sight of the player or other AI's, if they dump a smoke screen to obscure the enemys vision?   I'm talking about after the AI has spotted the other player.   Is there any such thing in OFP, that the AI, just can't see the player again, or is he imprinted on the AI's "radar" forever?

I'd love to know, and we can only be sure if the answer comes from you.

Thank you,

Konyak<span id='postcolor'>

after 30 seconds of not being seen by the AI, you disappear from its line of sight matrix.

yea that sounds about right, they added it 1.3 or 1.4 not sure

(Edited by RN Malboeuf at 3:21 pm on Dec. 26, 2001)

I´ve read somewhere that the AI isnt affected by smoke - they can see right trough it.

Anyone who can confirm this?

we just posted that AI can no longer "see" through smoke since 1.30 or 1.4

you can do a search for "smoke" in the 2x forums and see for your self

Thanks guys. So what you are saying, if you are spotted by AI, and you throw down smoke, they will have fully accurate shots at you, right through the smoke, for 30 seconds. That sound about right? smile.gif

So to be able to practically use it, you throw down the smoke, hide for 30 seconds, so that when you run out of your pinned down spot, the AI will not be able to see you, until you run in to the open where the smoke was billowing out, until about 7 seconds ago, and is clearing nicely now smile.gif

Let me put it this way, has anyone effectively given AI pursuers the ditch, using smoke? Not luck based, but solid evasion.

Thanks,

Konyak

they will still see you through the crown of a tipped over tree! So if tanks knock trees down, don't hide behind the tree!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Konyak on 3:33 am on Dec. 27, 2001

Thanks guys.   So what you are saying, if you are spotted by AI, and you throw down smoke, they will have fully accurate shots at you, right through the smoke, for 30 seconds.  That sound about right? smile.gif

So to be able to practically use it, you throw down the smoke, hide for 30 seconds, so that when you run out of your pinned down spot, the AI will not be able to see you, until you run in to the open where the smoke was billowing out, until about 7 seconds ago, and is clearing nicely now smile.gif

Let me put it this way, has anyone effectively given AI pursuers the ditch, using smoke?   Not luck based, but solid evasion.

<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think smoke grenades affect the AI at all. Here's a simple test mission I just created, Hokey Smokes.

It's simple. You're a NATO soldier with 2 smoke 'nades. You're in a niche in the back of a building, which is a yard surrounded by a picket fence. In the yard's right-hand corner from you, facing in your direction, is a single Russian soldier, whose skill level is set to maximum.

I've set off both smoke grenandes and waited varying amounts of time. I always go prone and crawl - not fast.

No matter what, the enemy hits me every time, no differently than when I don't have a smokescreen.

you do know you have to set the AI inteligence to use this, BIS stated the super smart AI will see you still

the reall dummies should not

never tested my self, but it's what they said

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from WKK Gimbal on 11:10 pm on Dec. 27, 2001

they will still see you through the crown of a tipped over tree! So if tanks knock trees down, don't hide behind the tree!

<span id='postcolor'>

OMG how sucky is that, in the "After Montignac" mission in the campaign I lay behind a tree near Provins and a enemy tank came by and knocked the tree i was laying under, over, while i lay in its branches still alive, the tank stayed right next to me without moving ... i waited about 5-10 mins and when i stood up it started moving again, got a couple of meters away then it ran me over hehehe

(Edited by Apocalypse87 at 10:34 pm on Dec. 28, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Apocalypse87 on 11:11 am on Dec. 28, 2001

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from WKK Gimbal on 11:10 pm on Dec. 27, 2001

<span id='postcolor'>

OMG how sucky is that, in the "After Montignac" mission in the campaign I lay behind a tree near Provins and a enemy tank came by and knocked the tree i was laying under, over, while i lay in its branches still alive, the tank stayed right next to me without moving ... i waited about 5-10 mins and when i stood up it started moving again, got a couple of meters away then it ran me over hehehe

(Edited by Apocalypse87 at 10:34 pm on Dec. 28, 2001)

<span id='postcolor'>

If you are very close to a tank and prone it shouldn't be able to see you.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RN Malboeuf on 1:15 am on Dec. 28, 2001

you do know you have to set the AI inteligence to use this, BIS stated the super smart AI will see you still

the reall dummies should not

<span id='postcolor'>

I tested my mission, both with super AI enabled and disabled. Same results: the smoke 'nades had no effect on limiting the AI's ability to kill. Playing the mission with or without setting off smoke grenades results in the same speed and accuracy of response from the AI.