Sign in to follow this  
Akira

Us to liberia?

Not sure if another topic was opened about this or not...but...

A breaking news banner on the top of CNN says Bush has ordered US troops off the Liberian coast, possibly to go in. Waiting for more...

allright .. one more US deployment in perspective ....

will we have the nice tv footages of beach landing as in somalia ?

how many troops exactly ? if it's the same thing at the 10 already there which have been "helping" the french special troops to the evacuation of the expats , then the TBA better let more liberia die or let the nearby UN troops stationed in sierra leone do the job

we're already overly stretched in the region in matter of logistics and support equipment ,now if the US admnistration wants a part of its army to parasit our forces ......

on the 30th of may , the UN council took the 1484 resolution , the TBA wanted to act , it was at that time , and not by sending 10 poor marines

i know the US army is stretched , but they still found a way to send a troops carrier with 2000 marines aboard on the 18th of June , soon after the Bush's trip to Africa

ran why not assume they do it right this time?

i don't know , but it seems to good for them not to fuck it up once again

if the marines come in , they'll HAVE to come with their own material and logistics , and it will have to be good , the french and United Nation dispositives are too stretched to be efficient between the EIMFORB (or whatever is this acronym in english , it's FORMIUB in french) "Artemis/mamba" in compensation of the UNMC in Congo , the presency in ivory coast and the "Providence" in liberia ...... they'll have to take several full C5's with them

the Entebbé airport is overcrowded and near its limit in matter of runway status , so i mean , i don't want the yanks to parasit our dispositives , if they want to profite of it , they'll have to reinforce it

FOX News

Not much information. Says "an unspecified" number of troops and ships. "To assist".

FOX News

Not much information. Says "an unspecified" number of troops and ships. "To assist".

i doubt there's much more than the amphib ship and the 2000 marines

because untill then , they had the order to stay away from the coast and to await orders

and i doubt the US actual administration has any interest in palm oil , rubber , and timber ....

they got nice diamond mines there , you know ?

this is kinda hilarious point. If we did not goto war with Iraq, we'd have plenty of support and logistics to work for this deployment. afterall, Liberia is asking US to intervene.

anyways, as long as US falls under UN umbrella to do this task, I'm fine with it.

and ran, please do not automatically assume that US troops will not do the job properly. they now have VBS tounge_o.gif

this is kinda hilarious point. If we did not goto war with Iraq, we'd have plenty of support and logistics to work for this deployment. afterall, Liberia is asking US to intervene.

anyways, as long as US falls under UN umbrella to do this task, I'm fine with it.

and ran, please do not automatically assume that US troops will not do the job properly. they now have VBS tounge_o.gif

i just hope they'll have more that an amphib ship as support ...

and it would be cool if they could come in larger number than 2000 so it could give some relief to the UN troops

cannibals need more fresh meat .....

I think it's good. Just like the French have a responsibility to Cote d'Ivoire, USA has a responsibility to Liberia.

(Liberia was founded by freed African-American slaves.)

A US military intervention would also be the first time in a couple of years that the US has done something because it is right and not out of pure self-interest.

if they really want to do it well this time , it would be quite good , and it would end a conflict that's made already more than 150 000 victims

but they have to do it well and avoid any issues such as the ones recently seen in Iraq and Afghanistan , by that i mean FF incidents (eventhough it won't imply as much people , but who knows , maybe some soldiers are daltonian(sp?) and will take blue helmets as targets) and also avoid and civilian affair issues

just by curiosity :

any words in the american medias about the rescue of the 103 americans by the french troops on the 9th of june ?

I remember it being covered but the particulars escape me (not from bad coverage...I was probably cooking dinner or drinkin' a beer or makin' out with the fiancee).

just by curiosity :

any words in the american medias about the rescue of the 103 americans by the french troops on the 9th of june ?

Yeah, I remember that coverage. It wasn't major, but I distinctly remember hearing "French", "soldiers", "rescuing", "American", and "students" in the same sentence.

Sending troops to Liberia would be the right thing to do...I really hope the U.S goes in and stops the bloodshed. unclesam.gif

Or we could go in like Beirut- put a Marine battalion on the beach and then have them sit in their compound until the local bad boys can put together enough high-explosive to form a proper welcoming committee.

Let's just hope they dont end up making a movie about this.

I remember it being covered but the particulars escape me (not from bad coverage...I was probably cooking dinner or drinkin' a beer or makin' out with the fiancee).

9th of june 2003 , combat action during Combined arms Operation "Corymbe" : evacuation of the foreign expats via helicopter

6 Cougar helicopters from the French army light aviation wing (ALAT) have made several rotations to land special force troops from the COS (units undetermninated) and the 3rd RIMa (advanced echelon of a marine infantry regiment) in Monrovia to secure the quarter of the EU embassy

orders had been given by diplomats of the embassy to the expats to join the EU embassy , the embassy was sheltering 535 expats :

17 Frenchmen

11 Australians

6 Britons

170 Lebanese

70 UN personnels

71 Ivorian

the Ethiopian national football team

103 Americans

38 different nationalities represented

after several hours of continuous helicopter rotations , all of the 535 people evacuated have been welcomed aboard the TCD Orage an helicopter carrier/amphib assault ship of the French National Navy

Cougar soon after landing :

photo1.jpg

Children disembarking :

photo2.jpg

Aerial view of the Orage :

photo3.jpg

View of the bridge ove the Orage :

photo4.jpg

Picture of the main evacuation landing zone :

photo5.jpg

Ain't that cute ? :

dessin1.jpg

Kid's drawing :

dessin2.jpg

the "passengers" have been disembarked on the 11th of june in the morning

the Corymbe dispositive has already been applied 4 times before in 90 , 91 , 98 and 2000

how many troops exactly ? if it's the same thing at the 10 already there which have been "helping" the french special troops to the evacuation of the expats , then the TBA better let more liberia die or let the nearby UN troops stationed in sierra leone do the job

Actually the Liberian embassy was reinforced with a 41-man FAST platoon.  This was after a FAST squad was used to provide security for the initial military assessment team.

As far as how many troops, it depends on the orders.  A MEU consists of a ground combat element (an infantry battalion with light/heavy armor, recon, engineers and arty), an air combat element (rotary and fixed-wing) and a combat service support element (the pogues).

A Marine Expeditionary Unit is a beautiful thing.  smile_o.gif  

we're already overly stretched in the region in matter of logistics and support equipment ,now if the US admnistration wants a part of its army to parasit our forces ......

A MEU can self-sustain for 60 days.  Shouldn't be a problem; however, you may want to post extra guards on the chow.

Semper Fi

Actually the Liberian embassy was reinforced with a 41-man FAST platoon.  This was after a FAST squad was used to provide security for the initial military assessment team.

As far as how many troops, it depends on the orders.  A MEU consists of a ground combat element (an infantry battalion with light/heavy armor, recon, engineers and arty), an air combat element (rotary and fixed-wing) and a combat service support element (the pogues).

A Marine Expeditionary Unit is a beautiful thing.  smile_o.gif  

A MEU can self-sustain for 60 days.  Shouldn't be a problem; however, you may want to post extra guards on the chow.

Semper Fi

will your troops have any more air support ?

i hope they won't use Enttebbé since it's quite overused as we speak

A MEU(SOC) usually has a VMA detachment (Harriers), an HML/A detachment (Cobras), an HMH detachment (Helicopter Marine Heavy Transport), and an HMM squadron (Helo Marine Medium Transport).

@ July 25 2003,19:53)]Or we could go in like Beirut

Or Somalia? sad_o.gif

@ July 25 2003,19:25)]A MEU(SOC) usually has a VMA detachment (Harriers), an HML/A detachment (Cobras), an HMH detachment (Helicopter Marine Heavy Transport), and an HMM squadron (Helo Marine Medium Transport).

good , our Mirages will be able to focus on congo

@ July 25 2003,19:53)]Or we could go in like Beirut

Or Somalia? sad_o.gif

The Marines took care of business in Somalia- one of the guys in our squad was part of Restore Hope- it was after they left that things went to hell.

Quote[/b] ]The Marines took care of business in Somalia- one of the guys in our squad was part of Restore Hope- it was after they left that things went to hell.

It was Continue Hope not Restore hope. Unosom II.

Still have a T-Shirt biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The Marines took care of business in Somalia- one of the guys in our squad was part of Restore Hope- it was after they left that things went to hell.

It was Continue Hope not Restore hope. Unosom II.

Still have a T-Shirt  biggrin_o.gif

Yes, UNOSOM II was Continue Hope, that was the UN's shop- it took over operational responsibility on May 4th '93. Restore Hope came after UNOSOM I's failure but before UNOSOM II really got going. http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/ops/restore_hope.htm