Sign in to follow this  
Bluesman

Fulda gap 1985 (campaign suggestion)

This is my suggestion for the European campaign.

Imagine this. In 1985 you had the deadliest forces the world has ever seen pitched against eachother alongside the East and West German borders. Massive amounts of armor, top class infantry, airmobile capacity and of course two mighty airforces

I would like to see an ultra realistic (wargame style) campaign featuring a full scale Warsaw Pact assault through the Fulda Gap. Using every asset they have against NATO forces.

Before someone say "Evil Russians" I'd like to say that personally I find fighting so called "irregular" forces totally and utterly un-interesting (especially in desert terrain which is even more un-interesting). What challenge is there in fighting third world armies with crap equipment and zero sense of field tactics? I think what I'm looking for is "worthiness". WP was a worthy enemy while half starved guys dressed in various rags, carrying AK47:s isn't (prime reason why OFP 1 is so good). WP had some serious technology and NATO of course had the same. This makes the clash interesting for simmers. That is exactly why there are so many hypothetical WP vs NATO sims and equally WW2 Eastern Front wargames. Because they are interesting for those studying war and tactics in general.

What makes WP vs NATO conflicts interesting is the shear epicness of it. Disregarding use of nukes you would have a conflic of epic proportions with lots of use for every single bransch of the defence forces.

I imagine the scene divided into sub-theatres. One Northern Front, One Central European Front and lastly the Balcan Front. Not quite unlike the GDW masterpiece WW3(board wargame).

In addition I'd like BS to fully implement the CoC system. I think its the most impressive feat so far in OFP history. And this could be just what was needed to make OFP a serious contender in the "lightweight training apps for defence forces" category smile_o.gif.

Just some thoughts.

BM

Good point. I think the low point was in Delta Force 3, the one where you played in Afghanistan. There was a mission where you had to snipe a large number of Afghans fleeing for the border.

I want a real enemy, with decent hardware and training.

I also want a campaign where Soviet is not the bad guys. They were as good or as bad as any other super power. Why can't we just have soldiers, instead of villians and heroes?

Yes I want a Dynamic 3 campaign war in OFP. With the NATO counties fighting WP coutries and you could pick witch country you could be.

I think the whole good/bad guy is over-emphasised as it is in OFP. As is the lone ranger missions which put me off totally. War is a team effort 99.99% of the times (even with so called SOCOM missions).

Wargames (well OFP is quite close) should be pretty devoid of any sentiments. It's all about simulating something. Training tactics or simulating hypothetical conflicts.

Look at the typical army training. They only use Army vs OPFOR (which ususally is a mix of WP units). They couldn't care less about the reasons for the conflict, it's just a task to be carried out. Battlefield commanders are single minded with a reason, they dont have time to think of the why:s and what:s for the conflict.

That's how my OFP is played out if possible. I love CoC smile_o.gif.

One interesting part would be civilians posing an obstacle. I mean refugees etc but I'm afraid it would be mis-used as many other things smile_o.gif.

BM

this reminds me of a TV programme i've seen some days ago. It was one of those "what happens if..." programmes. In the year 1990 Germany is still divided. The uprising of the Red Army commanders against Gorbatchev was a success and the Soviets again established a blockade around West Berlin. NATO protests in the UN security council but the soviets keep going on. Both sides prepare to go to war. The soviets attack sooner than NATO expected and Warsaw pact troops invade germany over the baltic sea and perform air raids on NATO air bases in Europe. But the main attack comes from the region around Fulda. the WP tank columns are succsessfull and go very far into NATO territory. The counterattack comes in form of stealth bombers who attack the soviet main headquarters in Ukraine. Soviet support lines collapse and their forces begin to fall back. WP troops retreat as fast as they can and NATO occupies the GDR. Soviets can't resist anymore and detonate a nuke in the north sea as a warning. but NATO keeps on attacking and is already in Poland when the soviets fire their ICBMs. Now nuclear weapons come into play and Nato sends theirs. It ends with the complete destruction of the world. crazy_o.gif

Well, it doesn't have to go this far, but the Idea is great! biggrin_o.gif

Yeah, minus the ICBMs smile_o.gif.

I wonder if an attack through Fulda by the WP would go to history as the most anticipated strategy in history smile_o.gif.

I bet they would have done something completelly different in the end(had they attacked) but as a sim it would rock. Talking real Battlefield Drama here smile_o.gif.

BM

Fat chance of this campaign happening, OFP2 is set around 1970. Would be a good idea for an OFP1 campaign if someone would make it, though...

Fat chance of this campaign happening, OFP2 is set around 1970. Would be a good idea for an OFP1 campaign if someone would make it, though...

OFP1 isn't good enough to handle large scale conflicts I'm afraid. It was a good call to use islands in OFP 1 since you could get away with battalion sized action.

If I'm not mistaken it was only the Vietnam campaign that took place in 1970. Central Europe was later.

Though 70:s was Cold War too smile_o.gif.

BM