Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

The best weapon in OFP?

on a side note in the winter maps I've noticed you can not in any way hear ppl quite as far, it seems the sound was removed or replaced, mabey Kegiteys can tell BIS how this was done, can some one point him to this topic pls

might as well see what we can do about it

fav gun in real life: SA80

fav gun in ofp: Steyr AUG

fav SMG in ofp: HK

fav helicopter in OFP: Uh-60 black hawk

fav helicopter in real life Mh-60k Night hawk

fav movie at the moment: Lord of the rings

fav upcoming movie: Black hawk down

fav game: Medal of Honor Allied assault

fav word: fav

Best gun in OFP: The Bizon, easily. No other gun even comes close to it's firepower, not to mention the addition of a silencer. But the G36 has the coolest scope.

"but easily fixed with a server that has 3d-view disabled"

Let me tell you something, I absolutely HATE it when they disable third person view. It's so idiotic. Driving the vehicles in first-person mode is a monumental pain in the ass, simply from a control perspective.

No, I do not care if someone can exploit 3rd person and see me around a corner. I can do the same thing, anyway, so its an even playing field. I would estimate the number of OFP kills caused by this exploit are very low. I won't care if I am killed because of this a couple times in the course of playing OFP. But I WILL care if I can never use 3rd person mode in vehicles, because a tank is f**king useless unless you have a full crew (which hardly ever happens). You can't see a d*amn thing except through your targeting reticule. Since I'm usually better with a tank on my own than most people with 2 crew, this seriously hampers my skill because I have to constantly try to switch positions inside the tank and reorient myself. It completely kills the enjoyment.

People who run servers need to realize that overzealousness to curb "cheating" (which it isn't, anyway) can seriously hamper the fun of the game for the rest of us. I played on a server like that for about 10 minutes until I figured out I couldn't use 3rd-person mode. I dropped it and found another game. I don't have time to put up with that s**t.

If real cheats pop up in OFP, that will be a different matter, but I wish these server admins would quit being little babies and trying to cover up every new discovery in the game. Peeking around corners does NOT take away form the enjoyment of the game, and it's something you would do in real-life anyway. Just think of it as an exploit that should have been a feature to begin with.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from 762WorldOrder on 7:19 pm on Jan. 2, 2002

Best gun in OFP:  The Bizon, easily.  No other gun even comes close to it's firepower, not to mention the addition of a silencer.  But the G36 has the coolest scope.  

"but easily fixed with a server that has 3d-view disabled"

Let me tell you something, I absolutely HATE it when they disable third person view.  It's so idiotic.  Driving the vehicles in first-person mode is a monumental pain in the ass, simply from a control perspective.  

No, I do not care if someone can exploit 3rd person and see me around a corner.  I can do the same thing, anyway, so its an even playing field.   I would estimate the number of OFP kills caused by this exploit are very low.  I won't care if I am killed because of this a couple times in the course of playing OFP.  But I WILL care if I can never use 3rd person mode in vehicles, because a tank is f**king useless unless you have a full crew (which hardly ever happens).   You can't see a d*amn thing except through your targeting reticule.  Since I'm usually better with a tank on my own than most people with 2 crew, this seriously hampers my skill because I have to constantly try to switch positions inside the tank and reorient myself.  It completely kills the enjoyment.

People who run servers need to realize that overzealousness to curb "cheating" (which it isn't, anyway) can seriously hamper the fun of the game for the rest of us.  I played on a server like that for about 10 minutes until I figured out I couldn't use 3rd-person mode.  I dropped it and found another game.  I don't have time to put up with that s**t.  

If real cheats pop up in OFP, that will be a different matter, but I wish these server admins would quit being little babies and trying to cover up every new discovery in the game.  Peeking around corners does NOT take away form the enjoyment of the game, and it's something you would do in real-life anyway.   Just think of it as an exploit that should have been a feature to begin with.  

<span id='postcolor'>

if i host i disable the 3d-view.

not only to avoid "cheating" but also to increase the feel of realism and make co-operation more necessary (specially in a tank), a commander would other wise have no job in the tank other than a passenger, the driver could use 3d view and look at the surroundings.

with 3d-view gone and if i play with a friend i go and park the tank in a good ambush position and then jump out of it if im the driver and set a aa launcher or at-weapon ready and i stay next to the tank and act as extra pair of eyes.

its no use to sit inside as a driver when you dont have the 3d-view, it may not be a 100% realistic approach, but it makes it feel as you do a job as a part of a "team/crew"

you cant be a one-man-army in a tank with 3d-view gone either, a at-soldier can hide from you with less risk of being spotted..and it is a scary feeling to receive 2-3 hits from a unknown location...a lone at-soldier can scare the tanker(s) enough so they retreat with there tank, instead of roaming around in 3d-view and looking for the soldiers (try spotting anyone from inside the tank...)

in my opinion, the disabling of 3d-view makes better gaming and balances the soldier-vs-tank battles in a more realistic way.

just as in those pics malboeuf posted, cheating or exploating.....everyone can do it, it is like in df when you could hide inside walls of houses and kill without a chance to be killed.

3d-view is not a big "cheat" its like mal says..using of a feature in the game to the players advantage.

and it is not "peeking around corners", not one part of you is visible, and the enemy cant possibly see you..but it is up to anyone to play as they please, we all set the limits on what is fair and what is not.

but 3d-view detracts from realism and i prefer to play realistically.

"its no use to sit inside as a driver when you dont have the 3d-view, it may not be a 100% realistic approach, but it makes it feel as you do a job as a part of a "team/crew" "

I agree, and would prefer to use inside views if I could, but it's just not convenient at all. I'm sure for people who have squads or clans and compete regularly, this is no problem. But for the rest of us who play on public servers, we're screwed. How many times have you ever seen three people get in the same tank in a public game? It's pulling teeth to get just one person in with me.

If I had squadmates who knew what they were doing, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But people on public server often don't know how to play very well, and I find myself able to capture the flag or kill the enemy much more efficiently on my own than having someone else with me. A lot of times having someone else with you is a liability, not an asset. Case in point: I was in a T-80 by myself, and I stationed my tank right behind a fallen tree on the main road, in case anyone came to get my flag. Only my turret was visible. An Abrams comes smoking up the road right towards me. It had a driver and a gunner. I put a sabot right into the front of it before they even saw me. Furthermore, I stayed perfectly still, only moving my turret, and successfully engaged and defeated the Abrams, which kept trying to circle around me. I killed the gunner with a sabot, and the driver attempted to flee before he was chased down by my teammate in a Hind and annhiliated. I could not have done that in first-person mode, just because I can't see anything.

It's not for on foot; I always use 1st-person mode on foot (3rd-person crosshairs aren't even accurate). It's just for vehicles that I need 3rd-person. I hate being forced to do anything in a game that the developers didn't intend because someone can't stand to lose.

To me, it's the same as those pussies that ban the AWM in Counter-Strike or the Steyr Aug in Firearms because they're "too powerful", even theough the same weapons are available to everyone.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Pete

"

if i host i disable the 3d-view"

"... also to increase the feel of realism and make co-operation more necessary (specially in a tank), a commander would other wise have no job in the tank other than a passenger, the driver could use 3d view and look at the surroundings."<span id='postcolor'>

This is something wonderfull I find, no 3rd person, driving became a new experiace for me one day with out 3rd person, I had to actually turn out to drive a Tank down a road in or last  Squad Match, I thought it was kewl as #### as it added realism, as soon as a few rounds pelted my tank I turned in  and switched to the gunners seat, it took longer to find the guy, but I dont think it hampered me in any way when it came to firing on other tanks, I usually use the turret view any ways with it's zoom feature.

Driving a jeep throu trees and brush makes for added excitement, will I hit the tree? it's just like the feeling you got the 1st time you squeezed down a tight back alley for the 1st time just after you learned to drive in real life "please don't hit... please don't hit..."

(Edited by RN Malboeuf at 5:44 pm on Jan. 2, 2002)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> 762WorldOrder

"I find myself able to capture the flag or kill the enemy much more efficiently on my own than having someone else with me. A lot of times having someone else with you is a liability, not an asset."

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I can't stop laughing over guys who need gunners, any squad that places more then 1 man in a tank is doomed from the get go, I can easily out gun a moving (2 persons) or sitting (1 person) M1A1 with a T72 moving with auto fire, the same goes for choppers, you have more control over when you need to fire (manual fire) and when not to fire compared to a human gunner, its a waste of man power to have a two man tank/chopper

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">762WorldOrder

"(3rd-person crosshairs aren't even accurate)"

<span id='postcolor'>

not really true, the accuracy is the same it just hits lower compared to where the cross hairs are, once you get past this it's very accurate, this is why I use the Bizon or HK (greater long range accuracy) from behind a bush, 3-6 round burst drops every one, just start at the head and work down on a stationed target

they drop like flies, it's true not many use this, but once you do, you become very effective killing machine in 3rd person, I have only fallen to 3rd place in a DM 4 times out of hundreds of matches with my RN, and to date, only three RN have even taken 1st or 2nd above me in DM, Playin a DM with 4-5 RN is very wierd, very quiet, seldom any one is in a house, no foot steps, no gun fire, just a "Malboeuf was killed by residuum" and yet still no sound, when some newbie joins you can hear him running and firing and dieing every 30 seconds in a RN DM, the best part is ppl actually think we dont walk around, that we sit and fire fro the same bush, it's not true, we're very active, RN just know how to walk with out making any noise. wicked as ####, it's all quiet, you have your sound cranked and THUD THUD THUD three heavy bone cracking rounds drop you dead, scares the shit right of of you

hehhhheheheheheheheh we love 3rd person, it's a part of the game

my fav weapon is the T80

or a scud with a scripted nuclear blast.

(Edited by boboNuts at 11:29 pm on Jan. 2, 2002)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

so far I think we are lucky, with only the <span style='color:red'>speed cheat</span> availble (which no one even uses in OFP) <span id='postcolor'>

?? Please elaborate... :confused:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RN Malboeuf on 11:44 am on Jan. 3, 2002

Yes, I can't stop laughing over guys who need gunners, any squad that places more then 1 man in a tank is doomed from the get go, I can easily out gun a moving (2 persons) or sitting (1 person) M1A1 with a T72 moving with auto fire, the same goes for choppers, you have more control over when you need to fire (manual fire) and when not to fire compared to a human gunner, its a waste of man power to have a two man tank/chopper

<span id='postcolor'>

Having two in a tank is a huge advantage if in the open not just camping in your tank, i was playing valley run there were 8 of us 1 guy was in a hind some where 1 had the flag and me and sum one else was in a tank we were on our way to pick up the flag carrier when we ran into a abrahams with one guy while my drive dodged his aim i pelted him with sabot roundswe took only one hit.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from nocabiwik on 1:59 pm on Jan. 2, 2002

fav game: Medal of Honor Allied assault

<span id='postcolor'>

I take it that's irony?

i think 3rd person view is cool for driving but when u use it to see around corners and s**t, that is cheap but if thats what u gotta do to win then so be it

its just like when i herd there was cheats for ofp i said bring it on cuz any fag that needs an advantage like that obviously doesnt have any skill anyway otherwise they wouldnt be cheap so i could care less if yall use 3rd person cuz ill f**k u up anyway

The ONLY time I use 3rd person is for driving and gunning in tanks, air planes, and to see if my camoflauge matches good with my surroundings so i am not spotted easily. Other than those, I wouldn't use 3rd person at ALL...

Deus Ex

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

so far I think we are lucky, with only the <span style='color:red'>speed cheat</span> availble (which no one even uses in OFP) <span id='postcolor'>

you can run faster, shoot faster then the average bear

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from HellToupee

Having two in a tank is a huge advantage if in the open not just camping in your tank, i was playing valley run there were 8 of us 1 guy was in a hind some where 1 had the flag and me and sum one else was in a tank we were on our way to pick up the flag carrier when we ran into a abrahams with one guy while my drive dodged his aim i pelted him with sabot roundswe took only one hit.

<span id='postcolor'>

Like i said you just made me laugh, I drive and fire just by myself, I don't sit what so ever, I wont actually tell you how it's done (called tactics), to date I've only lost a 1 vs 2 battle once, my tank will get destroyed only when a 2nd tank enters the battle

I think you need more online time heh

meessaa laughing

b4 you get mad, you have to actually understand the tactics involded, any idiot can get in and shoot at another tank, that in there is the reason why I can kill a M1A1 with a T72 with ease when it has two ppl in it

(Edited by RN Malboeuf at 4:50 am on Jan. 3, 2002)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RN Malboeuf on 10:42 am on Jan. 3, 2002

you can run faster, shoot faster then the average bear<span id='postcolor'>

when playing df3 i sometimes found those cheaters....they were annoying and took away from the game "spirit" a lot, but thats it......they regulary had some 5 kills and 40 deaths despited the cheat.

btw, about no-3d-view-driving, i agree 100%

it so adds to the feeling of the game, a tank becomes claustrophobic very fast when u cant see s**t from inside, and that you almost have to pop out your head when driving makes it all feel so real....a friend who tried ofp with my computer SNIPED the driver of a moving m113 who had his head out...the guy was like "wtf happened??" hahah

3d-view disabled adds to the game, and it is not all about preventing cheating, its making the game "real".

(i also disable manual fire...makes teamwork essential when using choppers or armor)

everyone has there favourite method of playing tho.

about the topic.

fav weapon used to be ak74, now it is G36.

"Like i said you just made me laugh, I drive and fire just by myself, I don't sit what so ever, I wont actually tell you how it's done (called tactics), to date I've only lost a 1 vs 2 battle once, my tank will get destroyed only when a 2nd tank enters the battle."

Well, there's only two ways to operate a tank solo (I know because I do it all the time too):  You either get the turret set and just try to position your tank so that you're aiming at your target and use manual fire, or get set somewhere good for an ambush.  Most of the time I use a combination of the two.  I always try to jump to the gunner's seat if I can, because although it doesn't seem like it, trying to drive your tank around to the proper angle to hit your enemy often gets you killed, especially in medium- to long-range engagements where accuracy is critical.  In a 1-on-1 battle, unless I'm really outgunned, I will literally stop my tank, jump to the gunner's seat, and put a sabot as close to the enemy tank's main gun as I can.  Then another right in the side where the treads are.  I will let the enemy hit me right on the front if that's what he's happy with, because I know I'm gonna get hit once or twice, and I'd rather take it up front where the most armor is.  Most people don't think about this stuff, surprisingly (which makes them easier to kill).    

And I can't even tell you how many choppers I've shot down in MP with a tank.  It seems most people who fly choppers conveniently forget that tank shells can be fired into the air, and the gunner's sight can be zoomed in quite a bit.  They will happily strafe me back and forth while I dodge and weave, then they get a nasty surprise when a sabot shell hits them right in the windshield on their next pass.  Then they're like "WTF?"

Btw, just out of curiosity, how do you guys operate your tank?  My prefered method is 3rd-person, freelook mouse, so I use my cursor keys to steer and my mouse to look 180 degrees around my front.  In choppers I still use 3rd person but no freelook (I use mouse for control, because my Intellimouse Explorer lets me steer as well as adjust altitude with its five buttons).  

(Edited by 762WorldOrder at 5:52 pm on Jan. 3, 2002)

(Edited by 762WorldOrder at 5:53 pm on Jan. 3, 2002)