Sign in to follow this  
trollzor45

Launch multiple clients WITH ADDONS?

In the mission i'm making, I ran into issues with server/client script execution and need to test fixes.
However, I don't want to bug my friends to be in a call with me for 3 hours while I test and re-host and fix and script and etc. etc.

I figured out how to launch multiple Arma 3 clients, that's fine, first client hosts, second connects.
The issue arises when I launch my second client via directly opening the .exe, as that second client boots with no addons loaded.
My mission is dependent on multiple addons to function correctly and the 2nd client gets automatically kicked when I try to join because it's missing those files.

How would I launch a duplicate Arma instance with addons loaded?

2 hours ago, trollzor45 said:

How would I launch a duplicate Arma instance with addons loaded?

Not really a mission editing or scripting question but I'd say the same way it's always been done (which the launcher also uses): -mod startup parameter

8 hours ago, mrcurry said:

Not really a mission editing or scripting question but I'd say the same way it's always been done (which the launcher also uses): -mod startup parameter

Are you referring to a way where multiple instances are running through steam? Because with what I have now, this method won't launch more than one instance. Through steam, it'll shut down the first instance, THEN start the second. I need both at the same time.

To explain, the method I was referring to previously for hosting multiple clients is to directly launch the Arma 3 EXE file from its root folder. Which means my first instance (host) would be launched through steam, then my second instance (client) would be launched directly via the .exe. Through that method, I don't know how to launch with addons.

Is there a way to get steam to launch multiple Arma instances? Or at the very least get the direct-from-exe instance to load with mods? I feel like I'm missing something.

You can just click PLAY button multiple times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trollzor45 said:

Are you referring to a way where multiple instances are running through steam? Because with what I have now, this method won't launch more than one instance. Through steam, it'll shut down the first instance, THEN start the second. I need both at the same time.

To explain, the method I was referring to previously for hosting multiple clients is to directly launch the Arma 3 EXE file from its root folder. Which means my first instance (host) would be launched through steam, then my second instance (client) would be launched directly via the .exe. Through that method, I don't know how to launch with addons.

Is there a way to get steam to launch multiple Arma instances? Or at the very least get the direct-from-exe instance to load with mods? I feel like I'm missing something.

6 minutes ago, POLPOX said:

Huh, I was gonna describe the good ol' technique of shortcuts... but that's way simpler yeah 😛

Just remember to set your Launcher options to not close after launching the game like I had...

A3L_Action_after_game_start.png?rlkey=0n

• Like 1

12 hours ago, POLPOX said:

12 hours ago, mrcurry said:

Huh, I was gonna describe the good ol' technique of shortcuts... but that's way simpler yeah 😛

Just remember to set your Launcher options to not close after launching the game like I had..

I didn't know that was a setting! Thank you!

1 hour ago, trollzor45 said:

I didn't know that was a setting! Thank you!

So, I'm stuck again 😞

Clicking play again in the launcher STILL closes my first instance before starting the second one.

10 hours ago, trollzor45 said:

So, I'm stuck again 😞

Clicking play again in the launcher STILL closes my first instance before starting the second one.

So shortcut it is.

All the launcher does to launch the game with mods is to set the -mod startup param.

We can do the same in many ways, but the easiest is probably using shortcuts.
That's the way it used to be done, way back before fancy launchers and workshop-support. 😛

1. Browse to your game's install location.
    From steam: Open steam library -> Right-click the game -> Manage -> Browse local files.

2. Locate the mod's installation folder and its relative path compared to your arma3.exe.
    • If it's a workshop mod it's located in the hidden !Workshop folder,
      if you can't find your mod in there the launcher probably hasn't finished installing it yet so just let it do that first.
      Workshop.png?rlkey=upk7tpmwk77p6yyqviovb

• If it's non-workshop then only you know where you installed it but inside your game's root folder starting with an @ is the recommended approach.

3. Create a shortcut to the arma3.exe.

4. Right-click the Shortcut -> Properties -> Shortcut-tab

5. At the very end of the "Target" field add:
    "-mod=<your mod path>"
    For example:
    Shortcut.png?rlkey=ka313padbhhmynjab9ltn

If you want to launch with multiple mods you can chain them together like so:
    "-mod=<mod path 1>;<mod 2>;<mod3>"

Here I'm launching with Prairie Fire (vn) and 3den Enhanced:
    multimod.png?rlkey=dn8kz591nutfhzodjdf8u

6. Launch the game by using the shortcut and verify the mod has been activated by looking in the lower left corner of the main menu.
    verify.png?rlkey=bndu6uuwzrhvhoi6gww4g76

Using this method you can definitively launch as many instances of Arma 3, the only limit is how much hellfire you want to create on/underneath/near your desk.
working.png?rlkey=raf7wpxf50ba04poodz7dj