Sign in to follow this  
Baron Hurlothrumbo IIX

Questions i cant find in faqs or tutorials

Hi guys.

I'm making my first serious model for OFP after working through BRSSEB's excellent tutorials.

I have a couple of questions I cant find the answer to (I might have overlooked, but I did search as best I could)

1) How do you determine rough poly counts for the closest LODs? - how do you know when something is too high poly? I suppose what I'm asking for is a rough guideline as to poly counts for stuff. The thing I'm making is an... armoured .. vehicle.. which would be recognisable to most people.

The T72 from the demo has 1554 faces - is that a reasonable amount or is it a low detail one because its from the demo?

2) Is it ok to have the vehicle as a number of different objects overlapping? EG to have the bumper sitting on top of the bodywork, or does it have to be one contiguous solid mesh? What about holes in the mesh? Are they a problem?

Looking at the demo models, I dont think so, but I'd like to be sure.

3) Is there an unselect button? I'm used to MAX, where you can unselect certain vertices without losing the rest of your selection.

Thanks a lot!

I dont know a whole lot about this but I'll see if I can help.

1)The best thing to do with poly counts is guess. If you can find some older addons that have not been binarized that will help too.

When I started making my plane I read a number of threads saying that a plane shouldn't have more than 3000-4000 faces. My plane currently has just over 6000! biggrin_o.gif

My only suggestion is that if you do have a high poly count in the first LOD, try to drop the count a fair bit in the LOD's that follow.

2)I think overlapping objects are ok. Just watch you arent making unnecessary faces that won't be seen.

Also holes can be a pain when it comes to the geometry and fire geometry LOD's. Someone else might be able to add more to that (I'm not too great with geometries myself).

3)When you have a selection made and want to unselect a vertice -> With 'Select Vertices' activated (F4), hold Ctrl+Shift and select the vertices you want to unselect.

re: face counts

What I try to aim for is to reduce the number of faces between each resolution lod by "roughly" 20-30%.

lod 0: 3000 faces

lod 1.5: 2250 faces

lod 3: 1690 faces

lod 6: 1250 faces

lod 9: 750 faces

lod 12: <300 faces

You need at least one lod with around 300 faces or less to use for your shadow lod. These amounts will vary depending on the model and orginal face count. The more complicated a model the more lods you need, whereas a simple 300 face model may only need 3 resolution lods.

Textures should also scale down. (eg no point using a 1024x1024 texture on lod 6!)

SelectThis

re: face counts

lod 0: 3000 faces

lod 1.5: 2250 faces

lod 3: 1690 faces

lod 6: 1250 faces

lod 9: 750 faces

lod 12: <300 faces

humm, sorry but for most player the last lod loaded in game is 7.5 and other are'nt loaded in memory but the shadow is loaded by all lod defined for that the 12 in your exemple work too. But the lod 9 is not used by the game and grown up the file.

So you must make  like this :

lod 0.5 : 3000 - 4500

lod 1.5 : 2000 - 3000

lod 3.0 : 1000 - 1800

lod 5.0 : 500 - 800

lod 9.0 : 1 - 299

I suppose to be a better way..? (for vehicles, plane and chopper)