Sign in to follow this  
goldmember

Realistic explosion mod  v1.1

Question:

Do I have to edit Vit_Apcs to use with Version 1.49?

Or are other changes made so I don´t have to edit?

Thx.

MfG Lee

Question:

Do I have to edit Vit_Apcs to use with Version 1.49?

Or are other changes made so I don´t have to edit?

Thx.

MfG Lee

Yes you have to, or you can download it if you want. smile_o.gif

http://au.f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/

ID: ftielemans

PW: dey8p7

GMR_mod folder

Just a quick question here... I can't find the exp_init.sqs file anywhere within Goldmember's zip files. Does anyone know where it is or where I can get it?

Just a quick question here... I can't find the exp_init.sqs file anywhere within Goldmember's zip files. Does anyone know where it is or where I can get it?

Its "hidden" within the GMR.pbo addon. You need to unpack the addon using the UnPBO tool (available for example from here)

Then, you can edit that file to your liking and re-pack the addon using MakePBO (from the same page) or PBOTool.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, or even if it's possible, but shell explosions (particularly artillery rounds) tend to throw up a whole lot of dirt when they hit. Larger rounds (say, 155mm) would obviously cause a greater displacement of dirt than smaller ones (81mm). At the moment, all that comes out of explosions that hit plain earth are a few rocks. Hopefully OFP2 will have a (even if limited) destroyable landscape. But until then, would it be possible to accurately simulate this in OFP?

It'd make artillery barrages & mortar fire etc. all that more intimidating and impressive smile_o.gif

The current bullet impact (the variable-sized puff of dirt) is pretty much satisfactory, but could perhaps be improved...

Snrub I like the avatar pic - I use 'Sgt. Snrub' when I play America's Army.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, or even if it's possible, but shell explosions (particularly artillery rounds) tend to throw up a whole lot of dirt when they hit. Larger rounds (say, 155mm) would obviously cause a greater displacement of dirt than smaller ones (81mm). At the moment, all that comes out of explosions that hit plain earth are a few rocks. Hopefully OFP2 will have a (even if limited) destroyable landscape. But until then, would it be possible to accurately simulate this in OFP?

It'd make artillery barrages & mortar fire etc. all that more intimidating and impressive smile_o.gif

The current bullet impact (the variable-sized puff of dirt) is pretty much satisfactory, but could perhaps be improved...

I use this for big arty explosions. Check that test mission.

Shell_explo_test.zip

I am getting annoying missing addon GMR crater messages in the middle of MP games and also i was playing a very large map with lot's of tanks and i had literally hundreds of these craters around. Not good. Also they don't really add that much to the game. Is there a disabled crater version?

I use this for big arty explosions. Check that test mission.

Shell_explo_test.zip

Hmm, the password is invalid...

Edit: just tried it in IE and it's working smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Snrub I like the avatar pic - I use 'Sgt. Snrub' when I play America's Army.

Hehe, yeah took a bit of editing from a dodgy screen capture smile_o.gif

Just tried the big explosions and they're great! Add a few 'smoke tendrils' like with the normal ones and you're onto a winner. Is there any way these can be implemented into the regular mod for use with powerful explosives like satchel's, Hellfires, Maverick's etc? I think it would be great to have some massive explosions for those weapons to really feel their effect. smile_o.gif

Fantastic work goldmember! The 'boom' of the explosions are nice and scary - makes you really afraid for your life smile_o.gif I would love to see this become part of the next update...

I am getting annoying missing addon GMR crater messages in the middle of MP games and also i was playing a very large map with lot's of tanks and i had literally hundreds of these craters around. Not good. Also they don't really add that much to the game. Is there a disabled crater version?

It looks you slept over the last 3-2 weeks. smile_o.gif Firstly, crater error already solved. Secondly every effect can be turn on/off in EXP_INIT.SQS file (search for GMR_Forevercrater). Thirdly not every crater stays permanently on ground, just craters under destroyed vehicle. So if you saw hundreds craters around on map it was not my fault, unless you destroyed hundreds of vehicles.

wink_o.gif

It looks you slept over the last 3-2 weeks. smile_o.gif Firstly, crater error already solved. Secondly every effect can be turn on/off in EXP_INIT.SQS file (search for GMR_Forevercrater). Thirdly not every crater stays permanently on ground, just craters under destroyed vehicle. So if you saw hundreds craters around on map it was not my fault, unless you destroyed hundreds of vehicles.

wink_o.gif

Actually, that was precisely the case. biggrin_o.gif I think Jinef is referring to the MP game we did recently with a hilariously target-rich mission called Nogova Nightmare. (That mission, btw, should have a tag line "the fight for framerate" crazy_o.gif )

In that, in the end, there were a *lot* of wrecks and accompanying craters. And all/most of the craters pop up as yellow "unknowns" in helo and airplane radars, much to the chagrin of poor airman Jinef, as I recall it. tounge_o.gif

Ooof! Those shell explosions rule Goldmember!

My only problem with your mod is I keep running into the destruction like a moth to a flame and get myself killed biggrin_o.gif

One of OFPs neatest features is how sometimes you can get knocked sideways by an explosion and still survive.

One little request - is it possible to add a few more of the bigger chunks and make them travel less distance? I guess it's a limitation of the game engine the way the bigger chunks bounce away, but it would be great if there could be a core of big chunks that just lifted a few meters into the air and dropped say 3-7 meters away.

Anyway, these explosions are fantastic as they are...thanks!

Edit: Agree with Mr. Snub. The sounds are perfect for Artillery (I imagine) - kinda muffled. Can't wait to use these with the CoC UA!

Goldmember,

any chance of making your mod compatible with FDF Mod?

That would be the perfect combination smile_o.gif

Is there any way these can be implemented into the regular mod for use with powerful explosives like satchel's, Hellfires, Maverick's etc? I think it would be great to have some massive explosions for those weapons to really feel their effect. smile_o.gif

YEAH ! biggrin_o.gif

Hey GMR - looks like your tank explosion is pretty darn close to the real thing...if you can stand a 4.5mb d/l have a look at this meeting between a Javelin and a T72 crazy_o.gif

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sickle....T72.mpg

I'll see if I can trawl up some more clips!

Edit:

More Javelin vids here:

http://www.missilesandfirecontrol.com/our_pro....#videos

Cheers,

Cornhelium

Something weird about that javelin video...

The target must be at least a mile away. Yet you can still hear the explosion at the same instant you see the explosion.

GMR-Mod possibly slows down server performance?

Experiencing heavy lacks in our servers performance (very low fps, heavy desyncs), we tried to find out what the reason could have been. After many different attempts including config files, net settings and even a new kernel we've tested to run our reference CTI-Map without the GMR-Mod formerly in use by every player.

Guess what? No desyncs, enough fps and fluid gameplay even in the hardest engagements including many vehicles of different types.

Could it be GMR-Mod sending lots of data to the server instead of only running on the client?!

Hey GMR - looks like your tank explosion is pretty darn close to the real thing...if you can stand a 4.5mb d/l have a look at this meeting between a Javelin and a T72 crazy_o.gif

I've heard that the T-72's turret in the video was packed with explosives, so the explosion wasn't entirely the result of the Javelin ... who knows, it's a cool video regardless smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I've heard that the T-72's turret in the video was packed with explosives, so the explosion wasn't entirely the result of the Javelin ... who knows, it's a cool video regardless

Yeah.. As the javelin has a 8,4 kg warhead and the T72 totaly disintigrades.. But usaly they do load up targets with fuel and ammo (or an "equal" amount of C4).. No one rides a empty tank into battle...

javelin4.jpg

Not as impressive Javelin explosion

Yeah - I couldn't imagine a single warhead doing all that explosion but as Bergmania says IRL the tank wouldn't be empty either.

You can clearly see the dust shockwave in the long-distance camera shot though, just like GMR's wink_o.gif

One heck of a bang though - I mean that T72 is gone when the smoke clears wow_o.gif

I saw a pic of Lee where he shows a destroyed tank with many of "loose" pieces.

I tried that messy config but I still can't get that effect :/