Sign in to follow this  
Gorch

Segmentation fault with linux dedicated

SuSe and RedHat/Fedora are closer to Solaris than Linux IMHO.

Sort of a hybrid ground, it has pros and cons, one con of which was the Flashpoint server 'issues' with setup.

I agree the 1.96a (Win32) server (extra long id protection) would be equally useful to a Linux server.

Also regarding the tolower program wrecking a distro, I personally just use "sh ofp-server-1.96.shar" each time to convert to lower case, as it only 'runs' from the server folder.

I was considering VMware, and run Linux, under Linux :P even (like Gentoo or an older Red Hat, etc) just to get it working....

Using the LIBS trick really does screw over some parts of SuSe, but only temporarily, and nothing serious gets broken.

Now to just slowly undo some other (suggested here) changes I've made and see if it breaks OFPR Server.

Also without using -nomap the server does initially start by taking a large chunk of memroy, but 'Info Centre / Memory' only shows;

363.8 mb used for 'Application Data' (Linux OS + OFPR Server without -nomap)

600.5 mb Disk Cache (overkill)

50.5 mb Disk Buffers

9.2 mb Free Memory (this is normal btw, disk cache reduces if memory is required)

EDIT: Oh, and Swap partition usage was only 4 kb, of 800mb or so. You really need to hammer it to make it page.

Above Figures are about 4 hours(240 min) into a MFCTI 1.16a Nogova (offical Mike Melvin, aka: mf256) release, so it ain't bad.

Longest game we did was 20 hours, with scientific notation for both sides final resource count. I am sure Linux will hold its ground here aswell. (16 fps, incorrectly[?] reports 586 mb usage, but this is on a Athlon [barton] PR2800, so on the real server it will perform far better 4 hours in, once it is setup - see below)

I only just got it working on SuSe thanks to many people (Benu and Shorty mainly) (thank yous where sent smile_o.gif )

I'll have to try it with -nomap on the server, see how performance and memory usage are affected.

I still need to recompile the kernel sometime I think, I doubt it is getting the most of the CPU / system.

Also need to compile some D-link DGE-500T drivers (currently using nForce2 oboard 10/100 LAN)

There is no way to recompile the OFPR Server though is there ? (even with the above limitations)

Besides the lower case 'issue' anything else you think I may need to be aware of. (eg: Do any addons exist that require uppercase filenames to work, etc ?)

Once it is all working I plan to port it over to a very high end (1000 mhz FSB + Dual Geil550@500 CAS2.5, etc) Pentium 4.... thus I am likely to need to know how to lock the process to CPU0 affinity (so it does not try to run over multiple CPUs) - this would be better than turning of HyperThreading, as OS processes, etc (TS2 even perhaps) can utilise virtual CPU1.

Damn good way to learn Linux really fast though, I've learned alot of stuff, some of which will aid me (Work certified SuSe for servers, so I figured I may as well learn it, and learnt the problems associated with it)

Cheers to the OFP Linux community - Thanks Guys.

(About 40% of OFPR Servers are Linux based now smile_o.gif )

It works, but it is 'far' from complete, although 80% of the rest I can figure out / read up on.

Nice to know that 2x256mb (Dual DDR) is ample for a Linux server aswell, and using -nomap I suspect the 'Application Data' memory usage will be lower.

What does -nomap do for servers anyway, It must be quite different as I can't see it doing the same thing it does for clients for the server under Linux..... ? (anyone)

I'll keep tuned to forums,

Thanks again smile_o.gif

Using the LIBS trick really does screw over some parts of SuSe, but only temporarily, and nothing serious gets broken.
I don't see how it can do that. The LD_LIBRARY_PATH is between the OFP start script in which it is set and the ofp server process started from said script, unless I'm missing something. You don't want to set the ofp-specific LDLP globally.
Quote[/b] ]I still need to recompile the kernel sometime I think, I doubt it is getting the most of the CPU / system.
crazy_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]Also need to compile some D-link DGE-500T drivers (currently using nForce2 oboard 10/100 LAN)
A D-link card in a server? I know where the CPU time is spent... Keywords: Intel/Broadcom: good. D-Link/Linksys/Realtek: toys
Quote[/b] ]There is no way to recompile the OFPR Server though is there ? (even with the above limitations)
Nope
Quote[/b] ]Besides the lower case 'issue' anything else you think I may need to be aware of. (eg: Do any addons exist that require uppercase filenames to work, etc ?)
You will probably see missions mysteriously refusing to load. This has its origin in the huge amount of broken addons out there. They are not declaring their <span style='color:red'>addon dependencies</span> correctly/completely or at all. This leads to either the server not loading the broken addons or missions. Also the affected missions either won't have enough (or more often: too much) in their addons[] and addonsAuto parts. A forum-wide search on the subject might provide more insight.
Quote[/b] ]

Once it is all working I plan to port it over to a very high end (1000 mhz FSB + Dual Geil550@500 CAS2.5, etc) Pentium 4.... thus I am likely to need to know how to lock the process to CPU0 affinity (so it does not try to run over multiple CPUs) - this would be better than turning of HyperThreading, as OS processes, etc (TS2 even perhaps) can utilise virtual CPU1.

Look up taskset and it shall set you free biggrin_o.gif I use that to lock one server process to one of the two physical CPUs and the other (ofp) server process to CPU #2.
Quote[/b] ]What does -nomap do for servers anyway, It must be quite different as I can't see it doing the same thing it does for clients for the server under Linux..... ? (anyone)
No idea. Haven't examined if it even works (ie makes a difference) for Linux. It sure helps in windows with broke-a** ATI drivers...

Good luck and keep us posted of any interesting findings!

I agree the 1.96a (Win32) server (extra long id protection) would be equally useful to a Linux server.

1.96a will only work on the older ID Hack and not the newest one