Sign in to follow this  
Fragsta

The ultimate addon reference

I'm sure this idea has dwelled on people's minds before. It is a long-time needed idea. I am undergoing a project. This project is the untimate addon reference (UAR). It will contain all the available addon's filenames, creators, display names, websites, etc.

The first version of the reference will be in .txt format. This will hopefully make it's way to HTML on my website and in a HTML file (and maybe it will be worthy for OFPEC).

Then I will ask someone to change all this information into a file manager application. That would be useful, wouldn't it?

A the start of this file, this is what it says:

Quote[/b] ]This is a list of all of the addons currently available for Operation Flashpoint. They are sorted into directories.

These are:

1. General (addons that cannot be put into a category due to lack of information or just being a black sheep. Addons that fit into two or more categories will also be put here.)

2. Post-1985 (Modern Addons, and the official addons, etc.)

3. Pre-1985 (WW2, Falklands, Vietnam, etc.)

4. Futuristic (Stargate mod - if we ever see it, just generally futuristic, etc.)

*5. The Best Addons Available

Each Category has subcategories. These are:

a) Ground Vehicles

b) Ground Infantry

c) Aircraft

d) Weapons

e) Artillery

f) Buildings

g) Other objects

h) Other (non-objects)

i) Sea Vessels

*This is completely my opinion, so if you think that an addon that is not there should be on the list, please email me and I will have a look. Also, the best addons list has no subcategories, just a list of 10 of the best addons.

NB: The addons are not sorted in any order except in category 5. In the HTML version of the list, they will be sorted in alphabetical order.

I will need help with this, obviously. So if anyone would like to assist me by doing a certain section please, please email me at fragsta_1001@hotmail.com, or add me to MSN with that address. Thanx in advance.

Ahem...islands. I can help you with that. smile_o.gif

That would be great. I will send you all you need to set it out properly in an instant message ok?

If OFPEC can help out with anything - webspace for forum boards - let me know ;)

3 words.....eXtensible Markup Language.

Make it an XML file so any site can reference it...it would also be more powerful than just an HTML file...I:m sure Snypir would be with me on this.

This way, all you ever need to modify is one textfile and everyone who references the XML file will be updated.

I considered doing this quite a while ago (an idea squadmate Uzi emailed to me back then).

It was too exhaustive but that's because I'm busy enough as it is.

I agree - XML is the way to go. I would keep it simple (stupid). Sortable on columns:

- Addon type (weapon, plane, armor, island, etc.

- Addon name.

- Addon nickname, where applicable.

- Addon maker's name.

- Genre (WWII, Vietnam, etc.). This is important but hard to define sometime.

Well, you get the idea.

- Genre (WWII, Vietnam, etc.). This is important but hard to define sometime.

Isn't it better to state "kind". Like rangers addon by someone.

Kind= 1993 woodland

or.. BMW something..

kind = m4 model 1958

Since some don't just belong to WII, Vietnam.. and would be too many "others" or something then. Sometimes you may add a description or something like that

"the one that was used mostly among grunts in vietnam".

What about like korea war stuff. Much was from WWII time but some wasn't. So have "WWII/Korean" or just find some other korean since it was first used in WWII.

I don't see why it is so important.

EDIT. 99% of my message is nuts (gramma, words, spelling) but i don't feel to correct it. So take it our leave it. Have to do some coding ;)

Really importent: it has to be searchable by the classes it gives to ofp. When you get a "missing addon coastgun" error while loading a mission you want to know which addon it is (lbh.pbo iirc) and that can be hard to figure out otherwise...

Great idea all in all.

MAJ Gripe -- Thanks for the plug. smile_o.gif

Frag (and anybody else), feel free to lift whatever you need from the site.

With any inspection one can tell there's almost nothing to it ... just a bunch of deep links sorted the way I find easiest to refer to. Still, the site seems to have found some use within the community, and I'm glad for that. From where I sit, it's the addons that give the game depth and texture and keep me playing, and I'm all for any efforts to make the good stuff easier to find quickly and efficiently.

If there's anything else you think I can do, drop me a line, either here or at the e-mail. Good luck.

Cheers

John L

If OFPEC can help out with anything - webspace for forum boards - let me know ;)

snYpir, what are you suggesting? A sticky topic perhaps?

I have put the progress report on my site: http://www.opflash.tk/

I will update every 10 addons that are put in, i think. How does XML work. I've heard of it before and I think there is something about it in my HTML book.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'm still accepting more.

smile_o.gif

Really importent: it has to be searchable by the classes it gives to ofp. When you get a "missing addon coastgun" error while loading a mission you want to know which addon it is (lbh.pbo iirc) and that can be hard to figure out otherwise...

Great idea all in all.

Good idea. The way I am going to find out which is which is by making a backup of each addon, and moving each one into the game one by one and trying them out. This is how I find out there names. Unfortunately I may not be able to find the creator of each one myself, although I will try searching on the internet. But if anyone has any information that I don't when it is released, like if they created a certain addon and I did not state it, they can tell me.