Does anyone know this bird?

The Bird of Prey

boe-bird.jpg

Boeing bird of prey flight video

Wow! that's amazing this thing can fly!  wow.gif

----------------------------------------------

Preparing TASP..........sudying hard....... crazy.gif[

And I thought the B2 was weird looking. crazy.gif

The Bird of Prey (named because of its likeness to the Startrek Klingon vessel) is purely a proof of concept design, and bears no resemblance to anything that will go into production. It was designed at the same time as their UCAV and there was much technology transfer. Boeing do some cool research stuff. My favourite is the F/A-18 they fitted with "Morphing" wings. A one piece wing that changes its shape to provide control. Nice. They have amazing videos on their site if you can be bothered downloading them.

biggrin.gif

First flew in 1996?

This is the first time I've ever seen the thing. Looks neat, doesn't say how it performs though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 19 May 2003,08:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is the first time I've ever seen the thing.<span id='postcolor'>

Then you, too, missed the original Bird Of Prey thread, still open. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 18 May 2003,22:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">First flew in 1996?

This is the first time I've ever seen the thing.  Looks neat, doesn't say how it performs though.<span id='postcolor'>

Ha! You may never actually see one! It has specialized lighting on it that makes it nearly invisible in the sky, something about canceling out the reflected light and redirecting it in directions away from the viewing eye. I also heard they are working on a plane with an electromagnetic skin that generates an energy field around the plane, redirecting light and making the plane all but totally invisible.

thank you avon. i'd love to see more discussion continuing in original thread