Sign in to follow this  
beno_83au

Beaches

Can anyone tell me, with absolute certainty, the proper French names for the Normandy beaches (Omaha, Utah, Gold, Juno, Sword) the Allies landed on in WW2? No guessing please, I gotta tell my neighbour what they are called so she can go there and take some pics for me while she is in France, don't want to send her to the wrong spot.

Well, they are pretty easy to spot, the huge remnants of mulberry harbour left there are a good sign. I went to Normandy and was staying in Caen, the beaches all along there were used by the allies. It's hard to miss them, it's like going in to town and asking where to find cars, on the roads of course. Also ask her to get some pics of the harbour and how much it's scarred the landscape.

We went for the 6th June when there are all the vets and their vehicles roaming around the cafes and beaches.

I know I'd have no problem finding them, but she has no idea about it and wants to know names else she aint going to do it cause she will be on a bit of a tight schedule. But if all else fails I guess I could try getting her to ask an info place or something in Caen or Vierville or somewhere about where to go. I was going to get her to go to Cherbourg, but, not enough time for her to do that cause beleive me, she will be doing heaps of sight seeing

they are signposted (a lot) as the American and british names.

or just do a morbid play on the matrix;

follow the white crosses smile.gif

Pity, Cherbourg is a really nice place, and they have little stands that do fantastic crepes (an accent in that somwhere). If you ask the locals they should help you out, plus there's shitloads of little tourist guides around. Once you get there it's easy, no worries i'm sure she'll get some nice pics and crepes.

Thanks for your help, I'll tell her bout the tourist guides and that Jinef.