Sign in to follow this  
Quantum

Triggers and waypoints and ofp, oh my!

After scouring this forum and others, I have not found any definitive works on all the functionality of these items.  There are those who have touched on some of the collection, like "Guard" waypoints and Activation types/styles/methods for triggers.  I'm talking about the nitty and the gritty, the kind of breakdown that allowed BIS to build their missions.  The exact specs on these editor components.

I've tried to follow the logic chain of their triggers/waypoints/logic groups/synchronizations, to very little avail.  Some of you have posted some very good implementations of some of these items.  Unfortunately I have also read that a great deal of what people are conveying are suppositions based on cursory testing.  Though helpful, without a solid description of what each setting for each of these items are, it's not readily obvious what can and cannot be done in a mission design.

And so I finally decided, after reading a books worth of forum posts and digging through web sites (at 56K no less) to come to the crew to seek the answers.

I need the BIS - OFP/R -

HOLY GRAIL OF MISSION DESIGN

A comprehensive description of everything in the mission editor.  If a Trigger item has 14 settings, plus others that show up depending on how it might be placed (i.e. grouped, synchronized, etc), what do those settings do?  How are they interrelated to the rest of the items?  Can a trigger link a logic group to a waypoint that shows up only when the second member of an enemy tank platoon crosses a bridge and causes an A-10 squad to intercept the incoming BMP's? (<-exaggerated I realize, but now that I think about it...)

Some of this fictional scenario is somewhat explained through various forum threads. But again, 70+% of those posts include the phrase(s) "AFAIK", "I think it...", "It might be...", "I'm not sure, but try...". These good-natured, well-intentioned people are trying to break apart a very complex set of components by trial and error. The permutations alone would give Einstein a headache.

What we need is the manual. Not speculation, supposition, euphemisms or information gleaned from a telephone psychic.

Has BIS ever released this information?  Do they plan on enlightening us with all the esoteric functionality that could completely change the mission building landscape?  Would their design team give the public the same information they themselves had access to so we can continue designing for OFP/R/GOTY in it's assumed final incarnation?

Since they seem to be headed towards OFP2 with the last of the resources that produced the "LAST EVER" patch, would BIS be so kind as to give us the final, unabridged, unadulterated, unleashed, underdog documentation?

Though it may seem a bit superfluous, my intention is for the benefit of the community, not an attack on anyone or BIS for that matter.  It's disconcerting to spend 4 hours looking for the answer to a question that noone knows directly, it's all a guessing game.  I just hope BIS will grant us the power to carry on the legacy of OFP/R while they pop smoke and head for OFP2 land.

Hell, I'll send you my sister!

Best regards,

Quantum

Better Living at the Sub-Atomic Level

(My friends call me the Rambler sometimes, I don't know why)

I think this is an excellent idea.

It would aslo be great to have a bonafide referrence to point to, instead of just saying 'do a search for _x' where _x is the subject, and many of the results won't have much to do with that particular _x.

I know! And the search engine on the forum is a little too sensitive. I mean, look for 'car' and it'll give you threads not only with 'car', but 'carry', 'carrying', 'carriage', 'cards', 'Carmina Burana(?)', etc. Basically, any word with 'car' in it. I've read the Gold Upgrade Strategy Guide, and I finally understand a little more about what the different waypoint functions and settings do.

Hello

One good start is to give a look to the whole "Mission Editing FAQ" thread, pinned in this forum

Every information you can find there is tested and works.

A very usefull thread

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=26723

But i agree with you , i would be very happy to find a full and extremely detailled document about every kind of command, trigger, waypoint, etc

The official and unofficial command ref are too much evasive sometime

Alas ! who can have the time to write such a detailled doc ? so i will not count on it even if i am very interested.

The FAQ is quite useful, but IMO, doesn't really get updated enough.

I find myself asking questions that have been asked before, and aren't always covered in the FAQ.