Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 27 2003,07:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know it's been discussed by we need Kevlar helmets in OFP.<span id='postcolor'>

Could just be those hard headed Brits! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 27 2003,12:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's the lucky one. Where are the reports on the not-so-lucky ones?  confused.gif

Anybody notice that there has been a complete silence on coalition casualties the last 48h?

The only thing I've heard are the pictures from Iraqi TV that showed some dead UK soldiers.<span id='postcolor'>

The soldiers are halted due to this sand storm. I wouldn't expect any real fighting until it blows over.

I just watched an interview on Swedish TV with their embedded reporter at Najaf. He says that an estimated 50-100 Iraqis were killed and "less then 30" coalition soldiers have gone missing. He said that it was a total confusion in the sand storm and that several assumed coalition casualties were probably from friendly fire. Fruther he said that the sandstorm is still preventing them to make a proper assesment of the situation.

sveriges television, nyheter

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ Mar. 26 2003,21:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This probably already been brought up.But whats your thought on about the 3,000 chemical suits they found in the hospital(iraqi soldiers were hiding in it) in iraq(forgot the cities name)?<span id='postcolor'>

That was published so funnily. Like possessing chemical suits would implicate that you have chemical weapons.

I can tell you that the finnish army (and all other armies probably as well) has a chemical suit for every soldier and we even practiced (GASP!wink.gif using them. Somehow I doubt however, that Finland has chemical or biological weapons.

True, most armed forces that can get a hold of them have chem suits, just in case.

But (and please correct me if I'm wrong; I have no military experience) don't units only tend to bring chem suits to the battlefield if they believe they may have to use them?

Of course, they might have been expecting some Agent Orange, who knows? wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ Mar. 27 2003,09:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ Mar. 26 2003,21:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This probably already been brought up.But whats your thought on about the 3,000 chemical suits they found in the hospital(iraqi soldiers were hiding in it) in iraq(forgot the cities name)?<span id='postcolor'>

That was published so funnily. Like possessing chemical suits would implicate that you have chemical weapons.<span id='postcolor'>

Yep. It was a "so what?" story, once you read past the headline.

Regarding sandstorms, on the radio today, we heard that the weather is much better in Iraq.

If so, the weather pattern symetry between Iraq and here continues. Yesterday's unusual harsh winds are gone, there's far less precipitation and you can even see the sun peek out between the clouds now and then.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC Mongoose @ Mar. 27 2003,08:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But (and please correct me if I'm wrong; I have no military experience) don't units only tend to bring chem suits to the battlefield if they believe they may have to use them?<span id='postcolor'>

Not exactly. We dragged them around every goddamn time in exercises. See, you have to train carrying them, the man said. Since chemprotection is part of your standard kit that the gracious army logistics has blessed you with, you have to have it with you always.

Most of the time Iraqis seem to fight with excellent strategy, but every once and a while they produce these brain-farts. Like not blowing the bridges over Eufrat and ocassionally sending an armored column to a suicide attack. Strange behaviour. wow.gif

Possibly they are directed by incompetent politicians. Perhaps they were ordered to take Umm-Qasr by party officials that live in a fantasy world. Hitler managed to screw over the Wehrmacht like that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 27 2003,08:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Possibly they are directed by incompetent politicians.<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, yes, I always forget that aspect when I watch the game. I always were solely interested on the "how" aspect of warfare, instead of the "why". This current game, US vs. Iraq, is a very interesting study case of a superpower with money versus a small country with a conscription army. wink.gif

News:

1. Almost 40 coalition troops around Nassiriya injured by shrapnel from FF incident.

2. Humanitarian aid ships held up another day from docking in Umm Qasr due to discovery of more sea mines.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sheikh Ahmad Kuftaro, the highest ranking religious leader in Syria has called for suicide attacks againts the British and American forces in Iraq.

He said that "I call all muslims to stop the agression by any means necessary including martyr-attacks against war faring Americans and Britons" and added that it was the duty of every muslim to resist the occupation.<span id='postcolor'>

-AFX/SP

Edit: Official site

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 27 2003,10:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sheikh Ahmad Kuftaro, the highest ranking religious leader in Syria has called for suicide attacks againts the British and American forces in Iraq.<span id='postcolor'>

Edit: Official site<span id='postcolor'>

LOL!

"Sheikh Ahmad Kuftaro, the grand Mufti of Syria, is actively striving to unite the human family".

Oh, I forgot. I'm sub-human. sad.gif

Several days ago, I asked what video phones were being used to transfer some of the live video images being shown on TV during the war's first days and whether Denoir would be upgrading his mobile set to one of the new gizmos. smile.gif

I didn't see any answers here but apparently Slate knows.

Iraqi missile downed by Patriot in/near Kuwait City.

Former weapons inspector Richard Butler: Saddam likely to us WMDs on coalition forces should they enter Baghdad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 27 2003,10:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">US fighter pilots bomb Iraqi missile sites (JPost subscribers only).

No details. First paragraph just states "Strike fighters from the USS Theodore Roosevelt bombed ground targets, troop concentrations and surface-to-air missile sites Thursday".<span id='postcolor'>

More details in this updated JPost dispatch (subscribers only).

If accurate, there goes a whole lotta Iraqi armor and what not.

Interesting photo item:

1048703838.2885738570.jpg

A woman enters the main gate of the Iraqi opposition

training camp in Taszar in southern Hungary, March 26, 2003.

The U.S. is training up to 3,000 Iraqi opposition exiles at the

camp for non-combat support of any U.S. and international

coalition military action against Saddam Hussein's regime.

The exiles will be used as guides and translators for

international forces and may help in any post-Saddam civil

administration.

edit:

HEY!

FIA = Free Iraqi Alliance tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 27 2003,12:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bad day in Basra for the Iraqis.

Baghdad bombed again about 20 minutes ago.<span id='postcolor'>

now that is waht I call news tounge.gif

if I have heard correctly they are bombing all day.

STGN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STGN @ Mar. 27 2003,13:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">if I have heard correctly they are bombing all day.<span id='postcolor'>

No. Several times a day.