Sign in to follow this  
slizeroid

New mission editor

Why not have a expansion that gives a 3d map editor so you can do more realistic stuff like street fighting easier and making the height of things to start easier to understand and stuff. Almost like OFP for dummies

I've been thinking about the same thing. Too bad I can't code.

What I was thinking was taking something like WRPEdit and make a mission editor around it. Or maybe a better description would be "object placement editor"? The standard OFP editor is fine for most things, but its a nightmare adding things like roads, fences, or placing units precisely.

It doesn't need to be a full fledged editor, just something that can take the mission .sqm and add objects to it, or move around existing objects that you placed in the regular OFP editor. The interesting thing is that you would be able to work simultaneously with this and the OFP editor, just load & save the edited mission.sqm and preview in OFP.

But this is pretty farfetched, considering how long it took to make WRPEdit. sad.gif I dunno, any coders out there, here's a good job for you. tounge.gif

I meant more like a 3d, and easier to script in version of the normal mission editor

Sounds good.

I would definitely like more detail when trying to place soldiers in buildings.

While a real 3D visual editor would be nice, it would also be a full fledged work project, as it would require an actual 3D engine. However, something like a CAD program would be more feasible. Which is to say, something that shows 3 views - top, left, and behind. It wouldn't be a true 3D project, but it would be much more workable than the current editor.

However, that's beyond my ability at the moment, or at least, it would take infinity^2 with my current ability. Heh, but yes, it would be nice if someone with such skill would consider taking up such a project.

Although, I will on the sidelines look and see if I may be able to work something out.. but, maybe later.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (slizeroid @ Mar. 18 2003,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I meant more like a 3d, and easier to script in version of the normal mission editor<span id='postcolor'>

Did you try this for scripting?

Chris' OFP Script Editor

Guest jacobaby

How many of you guys use camera.sqs?

I only ask because it allows for PRECISE placement of things at any height/location, even in buildings you cant get into.

I wont go into detail because its already been done, but head over to OFPEC and get the tutorial.

TJ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobaby @ Mar. 19 2003,12:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How many of you guys use camera.sqs?

I only ask because it allows for PRECISE placement of things at any height/location, even in buildings you cant get into.

I wont go into detail because its already been done, but head over to OFPEC and get the tutorial.

TJ<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I use that, and its great for placing cameras and people. But how does that help with placing fences and other large objects? You still can't tell if it will be aligned properly or facing the right way because you have nothing which shows the size and orientation of the object. Even a "snap-to" feature or a 1 meter visible grid in the editor would save hours of work.

Guest jacobaby

What would be REALLY handy would be the ability to write your scripts within the editor and have thm saved in the same folder as the SQM.

If you know the position and direction of oyur first piece of fencing etc, you can set the position of the next piece using a formula with COS and SIN and DIR. Tricky to learn maybe but handy once you have it.

you can write a generic script to give you the next position you need as a hint or something.

TJ